daily service charge

megann831

Then it would have to be disclosed when you book, just like the taxes and port fees.

Now they can say it's discretionary so that they can still advertise prices that don't include it.

But if everyone is so keen to pay it, why not just include it in the advertised fares and be done with it?

I personally disagree with that. Like the poster above who had 3 weeks of lousy service, I don't think they should be compelled to pay hundreds of dollars for bad service, but it's really all the same to NCL whether it gets paid or not because it's a pass through from guests to employee. I still feel like a guest must have some recourse for bad service that onboard management can't fix.

Try reading post #330. Show me anywhere in the contract (or anywhere on the NCL website) that allows for removal of the DSC. There is no arguing going on because there is no argument to be made for removal of the DSC. Everywhere else(other than the contract) the verbiage is more specific to state that adjustment should only be made if a solution to a problem cannot be found. NEVER is the word removal ever used, anywhere at anytime. If you can prove otherwise, go for it.

You already imagined there was something in the Contact about only being able to adjust DSC in the event of an unresolved service issue. I pointed this out to you, though you never acknowledged the correction.

So here you come again. I submit that any judge or jury in the land, when confronted with the very easy to understand language in 3© of the Contract, would accept that "subject to adjustment at your discretion" includes adjustment to zero. You would be the outlier, and I'm not sure why.

Here's a question for you, and I'm honestly interested in your answer to it, and your reasoning.

It appears that you believe pax do have the right to "adjust" DSC (though only, apparently, for poor service -- ?). But you also say pax do NOT have the right to "adjust to zero," because the Contract does not say anything about "removing" DSC, only "adjusting" it (which does not, for you, include "to zero")

So if not all the way to zero, to what amount ARE pax allowed to adjust to?

My question is, in practice if you were to try to get the DSC adjusted to zero, how much of a fight would guest services put up? i've had a hard enough time getting them to remove small things that were charged to me in error.

To me, it wouldn't matter much what the contract said, if you couldn't get anybody on the ship to actually follow through on it. I once had an airline attempt to charge me a change fee on a ticket that stated right on the receipt that there was no fee for change. I was amazed at how the airline staff could ignore something that was in writing on their own ticket. Fortunately, I was able to convince a ticket agent at the airport that I was right, but when I wrote customer relations afterwards to complain about how many staff refused to change the ticket, they still would not admit what was written in plain English on copy of the ticket receipt that I had sent them.

Edited by Ship2shoreCO

If the word "adjust" was the same as "remove" then we should call Webster and let them know they can delete one of the words from their dictionary.

You and I both agree it can be adjusted.

I would even go out on a ledge and suggest we both agree it can be adjusted Down or up.

But to the way I see it there is no restriction on the amount of adjustment. You can adjust it down to $0, you can adjust it up to $100 per day if you were so inclined, or more. The low limit is $0, the high limit is probably whatever you can bear.

Well, that's not the way it is supposed to work now no matter how often you repeat it. if it were supposed to work that way DSC would not be a discretionary opt-out charge. For that matter though, why isn't DSC mandatory and unable to be touched? It doesn't really cost NCL anything if it is paid or not. :confused:

I suggest you read the NCL website. How I stated it is exactly how it should work. As to why NCL has not made it mandatory, I don't know. The same thing has been asked on the Carnival boards and the only reason I can think of is because they (NCL, Carnival, etc...) are afraid if they are the only ones with a mandatory/non-negotiable DSC/tip/gratuity/whatever else you want to call it, they are afraid it might drive cheap customers to a different line that will still allow it to be adjusted. That's my theory anyhoo.

My question is, in practice if you were to try to get the DSC adjusted to zero, how much of a fight would guest services put up? i've had a hard enough time getting them to remove small things that were charged to me in error.

To me, it wouldn't matter much what the contract said, if you couldn't get anybody on the ship to actually follow through on it.

Why would anyone from guest services fight with you about it? They may ask if there is an issue that can be resolved, or offer to get a manager for you to speak with if you have a problem, but they aren't going to fight with you about it. The company states it is discretionary and that's ultimately what matters; the company policy. If what you want to do is within company policy, the company will oblige.

To me, it wouldn't matter much what the contract said, if you couldn't get anybody on the ship to actually follow through on it.

I once had an airline attempt to charge me a change fee on a ticket that stated right on the receipt that there was no fee for change. I was amazed at how the airline staff could ignore something that was in writing on their own ticket. Even when I wrote customer relations afterwards to complain, they still refused to admit what was written in plain English on the ticket.

I can't answer that because in a million years, I would not remove (or adjust) the DSC.

But if everyone is so keen to pay it, why not just include it in the advertised fares and be done with it?

I personally disagree with that. Like the poster above who had 3 weeks of lousy service, I don't think they should be compelled to pay hundreds of dollars for bad service, but it's really all the same to NCL whether it gets paid or not because it's a pass through from guests to employee. I still feel like a guest must have some recourse for bad service that onboard management can't fix.

I'm sure if someone could really document bad service for three weeks, even if there is a mandatory service charge, NCL would do something for the customer. Look what they do when someone has a minimal complaint now. If I were NCL, I would require that someone actually gave NCL the opportunity to fix any issues, instead of complaining about it on the last day to get some money or something back from NCL, because we all know that some would try this even though they had great service.

I think if they had the mandatory DSC, it would be a win win for the crew. They would get all of the DSC (not sure how many remove it or delete it now) and many, like me, would still tip like we do now (over and above the DSC).

I can't answer that because in a million years, I would not remove (or adjust) the DSC.

Neither would I, except under extreme circumstances where I had attempted to get major problems resolved and had gotten nowhere with guest services.

On my last cruise, for some reason the Latitudes mail was not being delivered to us. I repeatedly asked to guest services to fix this and they kept telling me they would, but they never did. As a result, we missed out on several onboard Latitudes promotions. In hindsight, I should have pressed harder for some compensation

Edited by Ship2shoreCO

If you are in agreement that it could be adjusted, but not to zero...then to what lower limit would you suggest? Also, you are saying you would not adjust the DSC (down OR up) but you bash people who say they give more than the DSC in cash? Maybe I am misinterpreting you?

I leave my auto's in place, but if there were bad service and management onboard wouldn't address it or were otherwise unable to fix it, I'd modify the DSC. Not necessarily to zero, but to some amount to reflect the issues. It could be zero if serious enough. I believe in providing management the opportunity to fix an issue first before doing anything. I'd rather have great service and pay the full amount. Saving a few bucks but having crappy service on a vacation that costs thousands of dollars isn't my idea of an ideal situation.

As to cruise lines not wanting to drive people away...if they just built service charges into the price and said "tipping optional" to me that creates an advertising windfall and clear pricing to the consumer, instead of comparing it to another cruise line that's not as clear about their policies, or one where people find out about all the "add ons" after booking. OR it has the effect of making the rest of the industry lead the way. Except for people scrimping, scrounging, and squeezing pennys to go on a cruise (and perhaps if that is someones situation they shouldn't be on a cruise...) I don't see how it would push anyone away.

You and I both agree it can be adjusted.

I would even go out on a ledge and suggest we both agree it can be adjusted Down or up.

But to the way I see it there is no restriction on the amount of adjustment. You can adjust it down to $0, you can adjust it up to $100 per day if you were so inclined, or more. The low limit is $0, the high limit is probably whatever you can bear.

Adjusting to $0.00 is not adjusting, it's removal. Neither the contract nor the NCL FAQs say one can remove the DSC. The farthest limb I will agree to is someone could (within the wording of the contract and FAQs) adjust it to $0.01 thereby not removing it but adjusting it as per the letter of the law/rule. While I completely understand it can also be adjusted upwards I don't think I've ever seen a thread with someone asking THAT question.

I would still think someone who does so (adjust to $0.01), for any reason, to be a cheap jerk (among other unmentionables).

While I completely understand it can also be adjusted upwards I don't think I've ever seen a thread with someone asking THAT question.

I've seen that come up on Princess and Royal Caribbean boards where they allow you to use OBC for tips and people wanted to add more on top via the OBC. So it definitely does happen.

I'm sure if someone could really document bad service for three weeks, even if there is a mandatory service charge, NCL would do something for the customer. Look what they do when someone has a minimal complaint now. If I were NCL, I would require that someone actually gave NCL the opportunity to fix any issues, instead of complaining about it on the last day to get some money or something back from NCL, because we all know that some would try this even though they had great service.

I think if they had the mandatory DSC, it would be a win win for the crew. They would get all of the DSC (not sure how many remove it or delete it now) and many, like me, would still tip like we do now (over and above the DSC).

THIS x 1000 %

On our 12 night cruise on the Spirit, we had some serious service issues on the first 2 days and went to guest services.

The next 10 days they went so far and above - it was incredible. We also received some extras that we were not looking for, nor die we expect. (A free bottle of sparkling wine from GS in the room, A free bottle of wine, apology letter and flowers from the entertainer who we had a serious complaint about, A complimentary bottle of wine in Le Bistro from the food and beverage manager, A bottle of wine in the room from the Hotel Manager) We were also given numbers to contact the mangers directly and when one minor in comparison issue arose later on (We were charged for ice tea or lemonade at lunch, the waitress rang it up as a premium juice) a quick courteous call handled it with relative ease (credited back) and we received chocolate covered strawberries to the room later that night.

That being said our original complaints were pretty severe, so I am sure we were flagged and at every restaurant we went to thereafter I am sure the staff were aware when our card was swiped. But the service for any meal thereafter was as good as I have received on any line.

I tip my hat to NCL for fixing the service issues we encountered and I am a glad I gave them opportunity to do so. Those who wait until the end, should not bother to complain.

Of course we left the DSC intact and tipped some extra as well.

To me, it wouldn't matter much what the contract said, if you couldn't get anybody on the ship to actually follow through on it. I once had an airline attempt to charge me a change fee on a ticket that stated right on the receipt that there was no fee for change. I was amazed at how the airline staff could ignore something that was in writing on their own ticket. Fortunately, I was able to convince a ticket agent at the airport that I was right, but when I wrote customer relations afterwards to complain about how many staff refused to change the ticket, they still would not admit what was written in plain English on copy of the ticket receipt that I had sent them.

If they give you a hard time when you want to adjust it, make a note of what happened and dispute it with the credit card company. It's in the contract that it is discretionary. Just cut and paste and add it to your claim

Neither would I, except under extreme circumstances where I had attempted to get major problems resolved and had gotten nowhere with guest services.

I could see attempting to remove/adjust them if the ship were sinking but I doubt I'd be worried about it at that point. Otherwise, I've never seen any type of service so poor that it warranted adjust the DSC. There have been occasions when I have not left a penny more than the DSC but luckily that happens rarely.

If you are in agreement that it could be adjusted, but not to zero...then to what lower limit would you suggest? Also, you are saying you would not adjust the DSC (down OR up) but you bash people who say they give more than the DSC in cash? Maybe I am misinterpreting you? .

Yep, you misinterpreted. I have no problem with anyone who wants to give more. I do a little extra, usually to my cabin steward and waiter, myself. The DSC should be the minimum and then if one wants to give extra via DSC or cash, they should go for it.

Yep, you misinterpreted. I have no problem with anyone who wants to give more. I do a little extra, usually to my cabin steward and waiter, myself. The DSC should be the minimum and then if one wants to give extra via DSC or cash, they should go for it.

Ok. But you have established it could be lowered but not to zero. So to what amount could it be lowered?

Yes yes yes! Ditto!

Ok. But you have established it could be lowered but not to zero. So to what amount could it be lowered?

It has been established that it could be lowered under current rules. I would like to see the rules changed so that it cannot be lowered or raised (mandatory set fee). Then anyone could tip in cash to anyone who goes above and beyond if they so choose.

Good to know that warm and fuzzy feeling that brings us all together is on NCL too!!! Why did I think it was only over at the RC forum!!! :D;)

For those staying in a suite category, I'll bet the concierge can remove the auto service charge for you so you can tip in cash.

:flee:

I am sorry if this is already been discussed… But I was wondering if anybody knew if the butlers and concierge are now part of the tipping pool… i'm just wondering…

And I thank you,

JWK: looking for tips

No, they are not. Tip accordingly :)

Harriet

I am sorry if this is already been discussed… But I was wondering if anybody knew if the butlers and concierge are now part of the tipping pool… i'm just wondering…

And I thank you,

JWK: looking for tips

They are not included and the best I could find out is to tip the Butler $5-$10 a day per person. Hope that helps