Prices Up

asdjl

Prices seem much higher to me this year, than last year at the same time. I sailed on the Getaway over Easter, had 2 adjoining balconies (2 in each, 4 people total) and the UDP included for about $3000 total. This year I am looking at 3 people total and even in 1 balcony, it's much higher than what I paid last year. All the lines seem to be up, interesting since fuel has been lower Any thoughts?

I think it must depend on where you are going. We booked a ten-day eastern Mediterranean cruise last year that we then had to cancel. We were able to rebook it again for next month at a much lower price.

Edited by Ship2shoreCO

Prices seem much higher to me this year, than last year at the same time. I sailed on the Getaway over Easter, had 2 adjoining balconies (2 in each, 4 people total) and the UDP included for about $3000 total. This year I am looking at 3 people total and even in 1 balcony, it's much higher than what I paid last year. All the lines seem to be up, interesting since fuel has been lower Any thoughts?

Very generally speaking, there have been about 4 across the board price increases since early last summer, most in advance of a promo. Overall prices for an identical sailing we took in March of 2014 vs. what the same 2015 would cost is up considerably (the 2015 was originally published much higher for all room types).

We are going on a land based spring break instead.

Edited by dexddd
clarify

Off-peak pricing seemed to be higher, depending on the ports & itineraries - exception would be Miami with all the lines doing their "milky runs" as the new CEO called them due to intensive competitive - those within a day's driving distance and can sail on a moment's notice can seize those last minute bargains, as long as you are picky about locations on the ship.

Even out of NYC, the Breakaway sailing this Sunday still have cabins available, except that they are NOT rock bottom prices like before - ours going in 3 weeks too, unless you opt for Insides & couldn't care less for UBP and/or UDP, etc. but just the lowest best offer kind of deal.

Timing is everything as we nailed a bargain about 50 days over - had I pause for a bit longer hoping for prices dropping lower with huge inventory of unsold/unassigned cabins - we could be paying as much as $400 to $600 more for the same category with the same promo deals (actually less) - lucked out :)

Multiple threads on these trends, developments & pricing models being shaken up - it just happened to work out for us & "made" our budget, or , else we would've gone with a land vacation or fly instead (notice: doing what dexdd said above us) - got some dirt cheap airfares going abroad <and, talk about nickels & dimes in the airline business>

Just b/c crude oil prices are down doesn't mean cruiselines will be lowering prices or do a rebate to us - something about retained earnings & shareholder's returns ... Ship's marine fuel is different and even diesel prices are higher - and, retail gasoline prices locally has edged upward by 10 to 15 cents just this month - with "GasBuddy" nice APP forecasting to go higher & begin the seasonal rise - oil industry's excuse this time is the recent refinery fire in California & export demands, among other things.

Edited by mking8288
vacation for us isn't all just about crusing - it's about choices

Off-peak pricing seemed to be higher, depending on the ports & itineraries - exception would be Miami with all the lines doing their "milky runs" as the new CEO called them due to intensive competitive - those within a day's driving distance and can sail on a moment's notice can seize those last minute bargains, as long as you are picky about locations on the ship.

Even out of NYC, the Breakaway sailing this Sunday still have cabins available, except that they are NOT rock bottom prices like before - ours going in 3 weeks too, unless you opt for Insides & couldn't care less for UBP and/or UDP, etc. but just the lowest best offer kind of deal.

Timing is everything as we nailed a bargain about 50 days over - had I pause for a bit longer hoping for prices dropping lower with huge inventory of unsold/unassigned cabins - we could be paying as much as $400 to $600 more for the same category with the same promo deals (actually less) - lucked out :)

Multiple threads on these trends, developments & pricing models being shaken up - it just happened to work out for us & "made" our budget, or , else we would've gone with a land vacation or fly instead (notice: doing what dexdd said above us) - got some dirt cheap airfares going abroad <and, talk about nickels & dimes in the airline business>

Just b/c crude oil prices are down doesn't mean cruiselines will be lowering prices or do a rebate to us - something about retained earnings & shareholder's returns ... Ship's marine fuel is different and even diesel prices are higher - and, retail gasoline prices locally has edged upward by 10 to 15 cents just this month - with "GasBuddy" nice APP forecasting to go higher & begin the seasonal rise - oil industry's excuse this time is the recent refinery fire in California & export demands, among other things.

Have a good time on your trip. Hopefully you make GSC this year (we were on the same sailing with you last year when we missed GSC).

Alaska prices for 2016 have gone through the roof.

That was my original choice but the current rate had me quickly changing to Europe for my 2016 Cruise destination..

A Lowly balcony with the Taxes included priced out at nearly $2600 per person for a 10 day cruise, compare that with a 12 day Med cruise I currently have booked which prices out after taxes as well as the PPG at a mere $1600 per person for a aft balcony..

Edited by warriorking

I recently priced out the same Bermuda cruise on the Dawn we took last Sept. A 2 bed suite for 4 was almost $2000 more! Not sure if the current promos are what affect this but was not happy. Last year we moved from an aft suite to a 2 bedroom suite, added 2 people (KSF) and only increased our cost by $400. Did it all for $4400. Now they want over $6000 for same deal.:eek:

Have a good time on your trip. Hopefully you make GSC this year (we were on the same sailing with you last year when we missed GSC).
DEXddd -Thanks and same to you on your land vacation, enjoy & have a great one !!

For us, a toss up between GEM & BA (as 2nd. choice) as we rather not fly, unless - 3rd. would be on wheels. Luckily, timing & prices worked out for us so we grab it on Feb. 1st. - OV GTY assigned as BD on Deck 10 Fwd, last year, Inside GTY w. Deck 13 AFT almost right @ elevators. (paying almost same as 2014 after a $200 OBC) With Platinum perks for both, we don't need UBP nor care for UBP - we did nicely this round with NCL.

Time flies, haven't been on GSC since 2011 so it will be good to see what's new, BA made it this week. Going to keep tabs a bit until our chilly sailing. Going to enjoy our small balcony, likely stay onboard in FL & watch the crowd like last year, but hit Nassau briefly (not doing Atlantis again)

Our Roll Call is coming alive with a bigger & younger group than last year's - many doing the Bar Crawls instead of Slot Pulls. But, with so many empty/unassigned cabins NOW for booking at T-23 days - no Cabin Crawls to speak of: 14+ Haven 2 BR's open, 11+GTY in the M2's M3's and dozens (76+ balconies) - our ship is going to feel a little bit on the lighter side, I think. Prices STILL high and I can't figure out their logics on how to fill them in 3 weeks, maybe the CEO & CFO has a plan. Our BA sailing last year was full as I recall, correct ?

This Sunday's BA sailing look to be sailing with some empty cabins on the higher price categories also - don't think RAISING prices is the universal answer or solution to differentiate the brand in the mass market - time will tell.

Regards - Henry

Edited by mking8288

No matter what the tools in D.C. say......inflation is here to stay.

Everything is more expensive.

For both our Holiday 2015 Mediterranean and Summer 2016 Alaska cruises the prices have each gone up almost 20% in the past week or two. The Freestyle promos are the same; just a higher cabin price since January.

Also I did notice that the deposit amount for each cruise has been cut in half.

Edited by 14ersco