Video camera help

Reaching out to see if someone can answer this question for me. Did a google search and am not finding an answer. When we play back our Sony Handy Cam, the video stalls and replays certain segments in slow motion. Read the manual and can't find the fix either. Does anyone out there know what causes this? Thanks in advance!

Reaching out to see if someone can answer this question for me. Did a google search and am not finding an answer. When we play back our Sony Handy Cam, the video stalls and replays certain segments in slow motion. Read the manual and can't find the fix either. Does anyone out there know what causes this? Thanks in advance!

What are you viewing it on ?

When we play it back on the video camera, it will lapse during playback or even if we hook it up to the TV with cables, it still lapses. I've burned the video to a DVD as well and it will still lapse during playback on the DVD. So I'm thinking it's something in camera. Thank you Kamloops50!

When we play it back on the video camera, it will lapse during playback or even if we hook it up to the TV with cables, it still lapses. I've burned the video to a DVD as well and it will still lapse during playback on the DVD. So I'm thinking it's something in camera. Thank you Kamloops50!

Sounds to me like the original recording on the camera had a problem.

The camera is capable of both 30p and 60p recording. It may be possible that parts of the recording were done at 60 frames/sec which would make ½-speed, sow-motion playback possible.

Dave

Do you know what would cause a fault in the original recording? Would the SD card be faulty? Do I need to record in HD versus a normal setting? Not sure how to correct this. Thanks again for your responses.
Good idea about swapping out with a second media card. Also, are these Class 6 or Class 10 media cards?

Sorry xlxo, I don't know the difference between Class 6 or Class 10 media cards.

"Class" refers to the speed of the card pertaining to how fast it can write data. A Class 6 is guaranteed to write at 6MB/s, Class 10, 10MB/s, etc. If you have an older or unrated generic card it may be incapable of recording the video stream generated by you camera. This would actually explain the stuttering and frame-dropping.

For HD recording, Class 10 or above is highly recommended. Major brand cards usuall have a Class or UHS rating but also show their speed in MB/s. For instance, SanDisk Ultra SD cards will write at 40MB/s, far surpassing their Class 10 rating.

Dave