Venice Airport to Cruise Terminal DIY

Ecuador

You can do this easily and cheaply by bus. You get an express bus from the airport to Venice. You then cross the bus park and get the people mover which takes a couple of minutes to the cruise port. People mover costs 1-2 euros and I think the bus cost 6 euros.

Edited by Excitedcruiser2012
forgot capital letter

You can do this easily and cheaply by bus. You get an express bus from the airport to Venice. You then cross the bus park and get the people mover which takes a couple of minutes to the cruise port. People mover costs 1-2 euros and I think the bus cost 6 euros.

That is our method, but not a good idea for those that cannot comfortably walk a few hundred yards with their luggage. For those folks it makes more sense (and costs more Euros) so simply grab a regular land taxi from the airport directly to the cruise port.

Hank

That is our method, but not a good idea for those that cannot comfortably walk a few hundred yards with their luggage. For those folks it makes more sense (and costs more Euros) so simply grab a regular land taxi from the airport directly to the cruise port.

Hank

We are going to be staying pre-cruise at Hotel Chiara on P.Roma. I realize people mover is close by but am concerned about walk from people mover to port since DH walks with cane, very slowly, and we have two wheeled bags in addition to his CPAP case and a backback. Is land taxi possible from hotel or from P.Roma to the port? If not, is there a bus from P.Roma to the port?

Edited by NMLady

We are going to be staying pre-cruise at Hotel Chiara on P.Roma. I realize people mover is close by but am concerned about walk from people mover to port since DH walks with cane, very slowly, and we have two wheeled bags in addition to his CPAP case and a backback. Is land taxi possible from hotel or from P.Roma to the port? If not, is there a bus from P.Roma to the port?

Your concerns are well founded given the disability you describe. There is sometimes an internal shuttle from the People Mover station to the cruise ship terminal, but that is hit or miss and cannot ever be depended upon.

The P. Roma is the major land taxi area for Venice and there are always some taxis parked in the taxi area in the square. Taxis will take you over to the port, but they do often charge about 20€ for the 3 min drive although the fare should probably be no more then half that price. Sometimes you can get lucky and there will be others to share a taxi, otherwise try to negotiate your best price (before you get in the taxi) and chalk it up to the cost of travel :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Your concerns are well founded given the disability you describe. There is sometimes an internal shuttle from the People Mover station to the cruise ship terminal, but that is hit or miss and cannot ever be depended upon.

The P. Roma is the major land taxi area for Venice and there are always some taxis parked in the taxi area in the square. Taxis will take you over to the port, but they do often charge about 20€ for the 3 min drive although the fare should probably be no more then half that price. Sometimes you can get lucky and there will be others to share a taxi, otherwise try to negotiate your best price (before you get in the taxi) and chalk it up to the cost of travel :).

Hank

Thank you so much for your answer. If we can't find someone to share a taxi we will gladly pay for a taxi to the port. We aren't afraid to bargain, even in an unfamiliar language. I'll learn the Italian words for the numbers from 10-30 so I can counter taxi driver., :D

It's good to know there is a way to avoid the walk from people mover to the ship.

Edited by NMLady

Thank you so much for your answer. If we can't find someone to share a taxi we will gladly pay for a taxi to the port. We aren't afraid to bargain, even in an unfamiliar language. I'll learn the Italian words for the numbers from 10-30 so I can counter taxi driver., :D

It's good to know there is a way to avoid the walk from people mover to the ship.

Do not get overly concerned about the language issue. Venice is a tourist city and many folks, including lots of the taxi drivers, speak and understand some English. DW reminded me that the last time we used a taxi to the port we just approached the drivers looking for a ride. One of the van taxi drivers said that if we gave him a few minutes to get more passengers he would only charge us 5€ per person. A few minutes later he found 2 more couples. But that is all just luck.

Hank

Do not get overly concerned about the language issue. Venice is a tourist city and many folks, including lots of the taxi drivers, speak and understand some English. DW reminded me that the last time we used a taxi to the port we just approached the drivers looking for a ride. One of the van taxi drivers said that if we gave him a few minutes to get more passengers he would only charge us 5€ per person. A few minutes later he found 2 more couples. But that is all just luck.

Hank

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We did this. Very easy....land bus to people mover.