Pre-cruise hotel package

Sailing on the PG in May. So excited!! I've booked my own air using miles, and now I need to take care of a hotel for one night pre-cruise because we fly in late the night before. (I don't like red-eye flights before a nice trip.)

I like the IC and the Radisson. PG has quoted me $285 per person for the IC lagoon view, and $225 per person for the Radisson Ocean View.

PG said those prices include transfers from the airport, breakfast and lunch. I think it would still be less to book on my own. Orbitz has a refundable rate for the Radisson of $225 per night. But adding in the transfers and meals, I think it's pretty close.

I don't want to quibble over a few dollars. Is it worth it to book through PG?

We are currently on the PG. We always (now on our 6th PG Cruise) book our travel with the PG. Our current experience is an example. We stayed precruise at The Brando on Tetiaroa. Somehow our flight back to Papeete got fouled up and we got back to Papeete at noon and there was no one to reansport us anywhere. The airline personnel called up the PG and they claimed responsibility and told us to go by cab to the dock. They took our bags and let us onboard for lunch and gave our cabin.

In other words if something bad happens they always seem to rise to the occasion.

We've always arranged this ourselves. Consider Fare Suisse. Very plain but clean and fine for a night. They include transport from the airport and again in the morning to the ship. The Brando has soft opening rates of $1800 euros a night that soon go up to $3000. If you have the ability to pay that with a 3 night minimum then the cost of using hotels by PG probably is not an issue.

Edited by FlightMedic555

I always book my own air and hotels.

Have stayed at the I/C, lovely hotel on the beach great breakfast. If you want a overwater/B, then you should stay here.I like staying in the downtown area. We always stay at the Hotel Tahiti Nui in Papeete. Great hotel, I always book the Junior Suite. They have a pool and free parking, also free Wifi in the lobby only.

Paid about $230 for a J/S, went through Expedia.

You can walk into town, only 10min away. Great shopping and some wonderful

Places to eat. If you want a wonderful French /R, I would recommend L' o ALA bouche. Go to tripadvisor.com for hotel and restaurant info.

The best part is you only need one cab ride to the Hotel Tahiti Nui. After your stay there, you can walk down the street to the dock, where your ship will be. Only 3 blocks away.

You will love the Paul/ G

My husband and I will be going on our 9th and 10th cruise in November.

Hope this info helps.

Zoey4545

• 4 weeks later...

We booked on our own for our pre and post cruise stays. It was considerably cheaper. It all depends on your own comfort zone, though, so it's not a bad decision either way. I'm perfectly fine navigating my way around a strange place, while my wife would have let someone else handle the arrangements if it were up to her alone.

If you book your own airfare, you will be the first asked to leave the ship on disembarkation day missing lunch. Their air package also includes a tour which is nice if you never have visited the island of Tahiti before. Coming in on the red eye with their package is eased by the PG providing a day room to rest in (includes lunch).

Be aware that the ship will not let you board prior to 3 pm. Their processing of incoming passengers is swift and painless. The ship will let you leave your luggage at the dock in the morning if need a place to store it prior to boarding.

Whatever you decide, you will love the Paul Gauguin and its wonderful crew.

We booked our pre-cruise hotel package through PG. I agree, it's much more expensive through them, but this is our first time going to this area (and our first cruise), so I didn't want to take a chance on making a mistake.

Once we have this cruise under our belt, I'm sure that we will make arrangements on our own next time.