Breamar April 12

aitchs

hello all , can someone advise what the dress code is in and around the Breamar prior to the evening meals , are shorts allowed to be worn at lunch in the restaurants by either the ladies or men. Also unsure of the on shore days and whether to book any of the tours !!. Any advice greatly appreciated.

If you go to the Fred Olsen site and follow link to Dress Codes, there is a paragraph for Day Wear on Board.

In fact in the Same section there is information on all dress code on and off the ship.

Now booking tours. All depends what and where you are going. Also if you are comfortable doing your own thing and relying on local buses or trains etc.

We tend to do our own thing when it's easy to walk round say the port of call or get to a beach. Or if there are taxi tours on the dock.

But we often pre book tours if the place of interest is along way away or not easy to access ourselves.

Also I would never trust buses or trains to ensure I get back to the ship.

That's just me. Lots of people do but I could not relax. Just me.

If it's your first cruise then perhaps tours are better. It all depends on how you feel.

In the Carribean we never go on tours. In Norway 50/50, In the Med depends, for instance would not trust going into Rome by ourselves.

Greenland and Iceland we will be doing all tours.

Hope this helps.

hello all , can someone advise what the dress code is in and around the Breamar prior to the evening meals , are shorts allowed to be worn at lunch in the restaurants by either the ladies or men. Also unsure of the on shore days and whether to book any of the tours !!. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Just back from Braemar to Canaries and Morocco. Fabulous cruise.

I see you are going to West Africa. I think I should book a tour there, as from what I heard of the cruise before us, there was some pick-pocketing and a lot of poverty in the towns. If you read some of the reviews, you will see what I mean.

Shorts are fine in dining rooms at lunchtime, but long trousers for dinner and I think that shorts are not allowed in the Observatory Lounge in the evening.

Sorry didn't see where you were going.

West Africa ..... Stick with the trips, I agree with Linda.

Have a great cruise and tell us all what you think. That is a cruise we have considered.

Thanks for the replies , looking for a chill out on a lovely cruise , formal nights apart we are quite happy as smart casual , are shorts allowed in the palms restaurant in the evening and out on deck ? . Anyone travelling first time or just need someone to have a beer with give us a shout , there is 5 in our 25th anniversary party ( ranging from 22 to 55 ) and we are hoping to have a blast.

... are shorts allowed in the palms restaurant in the evening and out on deck ?

As someone mentioned earlier, this is well described on the Fred Olsen website :

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/Before-you-cruise/Before-You-Cruise/Travel-information/What-to-Pack/What-to-Pack-

You'll see there that shorts are not suitable for evening wear in any of the restaurants.

Edited by Mark_T

If you are going to The Gambia and Senegal, the Pink Lake trip in Senegal is quite good, we did it earlier this year. You are driven to a hotel by coach where you transfer to some 1950 ish 4x4 lorries for a trip to the Pink Lake and over the sand dunes a la Paris Dakar rally :D a lunch with a drink is provided. You will certainly see the sites of Africa on that trip, have a good cruise