Recommendation on Celebrity St.Petersburg tours

Skip111

We are both 70 and walk slow my wife uses a cane. Could someone recommend celebrity cruise tours for us in St. Petersburg and any of the other ports? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Skip 111

I look forward to hearing what others have to say as I have the same concerns. I tend to look at the excursions that are labeled "mild," but sometimes they are not as interesting as those that are labeled "moderate." On some cruises the "moderate" excursions have been fine, while on other cruises there has been much more walking than the write-up explained.

OK I know you asked about ship tours but our experience with a private tour operator in St Petersburg worked out really well with my husband who has walking difficulties and more cost effective

By travelling in a minivan we were able to get really close to main sites and along the canals

our guide arranged for a wheelchair for the Hermitage after struggling with Peterhof gardens the day before

when you are in a coach with 50 other people it's hard not to feel you're slowing the rest of the group down-for us we could pace ourselves to what was right for us

my main concern with taking an "easy" tour with ship was that it would end up being more of a drive by

To Skip and Erin,

Both of you are fairly new to Cruise Critic and I don't know if you are experienced cruisers or just starting out?

When you ask the question you asked on this particular board, guaranteed most of us will tell you to forget any sort of ship's excursion and look into booking with one of the several private tour companies in St Petersburg. They will meet any of your needs, be it a fast pace, see everything type of tour, or slow and easy and see what you want to see. Most of the tour companies offer several different types of tours, and I would suggest you be in the 'Comfort' type of package, which goes at a much slower pace.

But first thing you should do is go to the roll call section of Cruise Critic and find your ship, the dates you are sailing and see what others are doing. The roll call is a place to introduce yourself to your shipmates, and try and form groups to do tours together, usually saving you a lot of money. I would post that you are seniors, limited mobility and looking for others who might want to form a small group. Believe me, there are always others in your category.

Then you need to contact some of the tour companies via email, tell them your limitations and they will all find some sort of package for you.

Guaranteed their prices will be better than anything the ship has to offer, you will see a lot more than anything the ship offers and you will do it in a much smaller group and be treated like King and Queen. Again, GUARANTEED.

We happen to use the company SPB Tours and we loved them. We are also seniors, but we are mobile. They responded quickly answered all our questions and made us feel so at ease using them. PLUS their tours are first rate.

As they say, try it, you'll like it.

Cheers

Len

Agree with Len as usual...only difference is we opted to use TJ Travel..

After contacting most of the major private tour companies..we just went with their quick personal response and our gut feeling when dealing with that particular company.

After many many emails back & forth before arriving with so many of my questions..I felt like I already had a personal friend in SPG planning our visit. Tatiana & Julia gave us a VIP trip of a lifetime.

I know you will get the same feeling when you make contact with who feels right to you.

Enjoy this amazing city and all it has to offer and really the only way to do this is with a private company.

Best of luck and enjoy !!

I would join everyone here. It would be best to opt for a private tour with a private company. We went with the Best Guides two times. First time in a little group and the second time individually. That was because during our second trip we wanted to see places which are not usually included into the "first time" tours. We were really happy with our choice and when we had a second customized itinerary the manager of the company worked on it very carefully to include everything we wanted to see for the second time and everything we haven't seen before. Maybe that would be what you need - just tell them how many hours you would like to spend in the city, discuss how much time you would need to see the main sights at your own paste and you will have a most pleasant tour.

I would join Bochata with this piece of advice. We were also with Best Guides and they tailor the tours perfectly well. The private tour would be a good option in your case.

Any of the companies will deliver a great tour, it is the nature of the city, and the same sites, and usually using the same guides and vehicles. And usually about the same price since all copied the first ones providing independent tours in the early 2000's. Any will be more comprehensive than the ship tours, any smaller. This year prices should be a lot lower but the popular ones that advertise a lot are sticking with their old prices before the big drop in ruble value. Full tours should be about $200 but most are sticking with $300-350 so bargain with them, otherwise they are getting a windfall profit since their costs dropped in half this year. Find the itinerary you want first, and all will match it, then look for price.

Be aware that few venues are mobility impaired friendly, only a few have elevators, all have lots of steps. For those who want to experience direct interaction with the city, walking tours using public transportation are fun and very flexible, and very cheap-$40-50 but not recommended for mobility impaired. The metro(subway) is great but getting on and off the escalator can be hard for someone with limited mobility. A private customized tour for 3-4 people who are mobility restricted would probably not have all the destinations so would be reasonable with your own driver and guide, this year you should be able to get that sort of tour for $230 per person. From any company. Less if you go into fewer museums and cathedrals. The tour companies usually buy tickets from a supplier and pay $15 each on average. The Hermitage is expected to increase to 500 rubles this year for both Russian citizens and foreigners. At the current Ruble exchange rate that is $8-9, a good price. Catherine Palace is the hardest one to get tickets, some tour operators are paying under the table to managers there 1,000 rubles each to get them but when they are available normally, they sell directly by the museum for 400.

• 2 weeks later...