Manhattan Cruise Terminal and Parking

triguy1951

Manhattan Cruise Terminal and Parking

We just returned from our Cruise. NY to Bermuda on NCL Breakaway May 10 2015.

I thought I would bring you up to date on the parking situation for the Manhattan Cruise Terminal because the prior thread on this subject is old now.

The parking at Manhattan Cruise Terminal is $40 per day. A better alternative is the Parking Garage at the Port Imperial Weehawken Terminal. I will explain.

If you park at the Port Imperial Weehawken Terminal garage you need to take the Ferry across the river. If you park at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal you can just taken the elevator down to the Cruise terminal

The Ferry Service is operated by NY Waterways, the cost is $10 per person each way,

http://www.nywaterway.com/PortImperialWeehawkenTerminal.aspx

The Parking Garage is located in New Jersey at Port Imperial, here is the web blink.

The parking Rates are $16

http://www.nywaterway.com/IndoorParkingGarage.aspx

The parking at Manhattan Cruise Terminal is $40 per day, so that is a huge difference. Plus, driving on the New York City side is much more difficult than the NJ side. Here is the weblink for Manhattan Cruise Terminal

http://www.nycruise.com/manhattan-terminal/parking/

The Ferry Runs to Mid-Town

The attached photo was taken by me; the photo’s view is from the Ferry dock at Port Imperial looking across the river to Manhattan. The NCL Breakaway is directly across from the ferry dock.

The Ferry runs to a location near the ship (0 .5 mile). The sidewalks to the ship are flat and wide open. It is a safe area full of locals. It is easy to roll suitcases to the pier. My son rode his mobility scooter. Getting on and off the ferry is easy, with many people rolling suitcases wheelchair scooter and bicycles. The ferry ride is about 10 minutes and the wait time seems to be about 20 minutes or less.

That's always an option, but I prefer to park in NYC. We are a family of 7, like to bring water and wine with us, and you never know how the weather is going to be. I don't mind driving in NYC. There is also a cheaper garage pretty close to pier 88 that many folks use.

If you're coming from NJ or the south, this seems it would be cheaper (though not easier) than parking at the NYC pier. Do they charge you for 7 days or 8 days of parking at the ferry parking lot? Assuming 7 days, it looks like the cost for a couple would be (16*7)+(10*4)=$152 vs. $280 at the pier. Driving into Manhattan for folks from Jersey obviously adds extra cost and time/hassle, so it's really more like half the cost of doing the pier parking.

For those coming from the north, we paid $175 with ParkWhiz for the week, their indoor garage was 6-7 blocks from the pier, we dropped our bags at the pier, parked, and enjoyed a brief walk back to the ship. This is a lot less hassle than ferrying in from NJ, less walking, you can drop your bags, etc.

And saves $105 off the cost of parking at the pier, vs. $128 off by parking and ferrying in from NJ.

Edited by Cruise4Real

Welcome to Cruise Critic, and thanks for posting the parking/ferry info and your thoughts. (Don't be surprised to see this thread moved to the East Coast Departures board.)

Having returned two weeks ago from the Gem (our third cruise out of the Manhattan Cruise Terminal), I will say that the incredible convenience of parking at the pier beats taking a ferry and then schlepping luggage for half a mile before or after a cruise.

At the end of our cruise, we were off the Gem, in our car, and on our way in about ten minutes. I appreciate that it costs a lot more to park at the pier, but to us at least, their are other important considerations involved. Others may of course weigh those differently, and it's good that there are options.

If you're coming from NJ or the south, this seems it would be cheaper (though not easier) than parking at the NYC pier. Do they charge you for 7 days or 8 days of parking at the ferry parking lot? Assuming 7 days, it looks like the cost for a couple would be (16*7)+(10*4)=$152 vs. $280 at the pier. Driving into Manhattan for folks from Jersey obviously adds extra cost and time/hassle, so it's really more like half the cost of doing the pier parking.

For those coming from the north, we paid $175 with ParkWhiz for the week, their indoor garage was 6-7 blocks from the pier, we dropped our bags at the pier, parked, and enjoyed a brief walk back to the ship. This is a lot less hassle than ferrying in from NJ, less walking, you can drop your bags, etc.

And saves $105 off the cost of parking at the pier, vs. $128 off by parking and ferrying in from NJ.

Cruise4Real, what is the location & address of ParkWhiz? Thank you.

Cruise4Real, what is the location & address of ParkWhiz? Thank you.

If you google ParkWhiz, it's the first link there. The specific location we used was MPG Parking @ 500 W 55th St., they were $25 per day. The site was easy to use, you put in the time you want to leave car, time to pick up, and it shows you the total price for different locations. We paid online and no issues using the printed out reservation. The map on that site shows the distance as 0.33 miles to the pier, for us in nice April weather a completely pleasant stroll having dropped our bags on the way there. On the way home we rolled our bags across to 11th Ave. and one of us went for the car while the other waited with bags. Added no more than 10 minutes each direction, not much more baggage lugging than doing the pier roof parking, and saved us over a hundred dollars, would absolutely do it again.