CAPE LIBERTY 411 (and NYC too) Version 4!!

megr1125

Thanks guys. So we'll head up the night before. Our cruise is only 4 nights. Is there any other suggestions for places to stay for the night that include parking? We'll be getting there late and just sleeping so no need for anything fancy.

June 21, right? For 4 nights it is more economical to pay the $80 to park at the port. Look at Day's Inn in East Windsor for starters. It doesn't really pay to stay north of Exit 8A on the NJ Turnpike. You will find some cheaper hotels near Exit 7. I have stayed at Days Inn and it was fine and it's right at exit 8.

June 21, right? For 4 nights it is more economical to pay the $80 to park at the port. Look at Day's Inn in East Windsor for starters. It doesn't really pay to stay north of Exit 8A on the NJ Turnpike. You will find some cheaper hotels near Exit 7. I have stayed at Days Inn and it was fine and it's right at exit 8.

Yes June 21. Thank you. We'll look into that one.

Hi Carol, we are sailing on Anthem departing Thurs. Aug. 31st. We arrive at EWR around 5:30 PM on Weds. August 30th. We are looking for a nice place to stay with both airport and port shuttles. We prefer Hilton properties because we collect (and can use) hHonors points. Is the Embassy Suites our best bet? What about Hampton Inn? Are their port shuttles free or is there a charge? Thanks in advance. Appreciate your (and everyone else's) wealth of knowledge.

Hi Carol, we are sailing on Anthem departing Thurs. Aug. 31st. We arrive at EWR around 5:30 PM on Weds. August 30th. We are looking for a nice place to stay with both airport and port shuttles. We prefer Hilton properties because we collect (and can use) hHonors points. Is the Embassy Suites our best bet? What about Hampton Inn? Are their port shuttles free or is there a charge? Thanks in advance. Appreciate your (and everyone else's) wealth of knowledge.

Hi Lee and Petra!

Almost no hotels offer a port shuttle.

Given your criteria Embassy Suites is really your only choice. Shuttle to Cape Liberty is $20/pp. If you're returning to the airport, you want to consider going to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty and getting a shared shuttle to the airport for $20/pp.

Don't expect to be able to buy wine anywhere unless you pay for a cab to get there.

Lee and Petra,

Goingplaces1132 has a good point. The sleep cruise package through trinityreservations.com for Aug 30 at the Ramada is $185 tax included for a room and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people. If you're going to the airport, the return shuttle stops first at the Ramada (most cruisers are parking) and then takes you to the P4 airtrain station to take the airtrain to your terminal. The P4 station is the drop off and pick up point for all shuttles.

By the time you're done, I estimate that Embassy Suites is going to cost you about $250 plus $80 in shuttle fees. That's $145 more than the Ramada and that's a huge difference.

Hi Lee and Petra!

Almost no hotels offer a port shuttle.

Given your criteria Embassy Suites is really your only choice. Shuttle to Cape Liberty is $20/pp. If you're returning to the airport, you want to consider going to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty and getting a shared shuttle to the airport for $20/pp.

Don't expect to be able to buy wine anywhere unless you pay for a cab to get there.

Lee and Petra,

Goingplaces1132 has a good point. The sleep cruise package through trinityreservations.com for Aug 30 at the Ramada is $185 tax included for a room and round trip port transportation for up to 4 people. If you're going to the airport, the return shuttle stops first at the Ramada (most cruisers are parking) and then takes you to the P4 airtrain station to take the airtrain to your terminal. The P4 station is the drop off and pick up point for all shuttles.

By the time you're done, I estimate that Embassy Suites is going to cost you about $250 plus $80 in shuttle fees. That's $145 more than the Ramada and that's a huge difference.

Thanks for the advice Carol. I will look into Trinity. I do have enough hHonors points to stay at the Embassy Suites for free but they are not burning a hole in my pocket!

At the Embassy Suites now. Just some additional info...

The shuttle to Embassy Suites picks up at the 15 and 45 after the hour at EWR. We arrived at the pick up at an awkward time, and it was cold, so we took a cab. $22 plus $1 per suitcase. So $25 for us (3 people total).

The port shuttle runs at 10am, 11am, and 12pm. You can sign up at the front desk and charge the cost to your room. $20/pp as previously stated.

We used Uber from the hotel to visit friends for dinner last night with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for the advice Carol. I will look into Trinity. I do have enough hHonors points to stay at the Embassy Suites for free but they are not burning a hole in my pocket!

We paid $194 tax included for Embassy Suites this weekend. You still have to pay for the shuttle so not as good of a deal as Ramada but not that far off either.

We paid $194 tax included for Embassy Suites this weekend. You still have to pay for the shuttle so not as good of a deal as Ramada but not that far off either.

The price of Embassy Suites all depends on the date and the day of the week. A weekend night in the winter is substantially cheaper than a weekday night in the summer, which is what Lee and Petra are looking at.

Thanks for posting the details about how the shuttle works. I'm glad it worked out well for you.

What a great thread! I've read many pages and now realize a cab might not be the best option from cruise port to our hotel in Manhattan (Westhouse on West 55th Street). We're arriving on April 30th on the Summit. Is there a shuttle or car service directly from Port to hotel?

What a great thread! I've read many pages and now realize a cab might not be the best option from cruise port to our hotel in Manhattan (Westhouse on West 55th Street). We're arriving on April 30th on the Summit. Is there a shuttle or car service directly from Port to hotel?

The taxi issue is with folks hopping in to a New York City yellow cab and saying "Take me to Cape Liberty".

Your two best choices from Cape Liberty to Manhattan are:

1). Book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to pick you up at Cape Liberty

2). Go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty when you disembark and arrange private transportation to New York.

The taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty estimated about a $80 base price, $20+ tolls, and 18-20% tip, so expect it to cost $115-120. You can get quotes online from Dial7 and Carmel.

The taxi issue is with folks hopping in to a New York City yellow cab and saying "Take me to Cape Liberty".

Your two best choices from Cape Liberty to Manhattan are:

1). Book a car service like Dial7 or Carmellimo to pick you up at Cape Liberty

2). Go to the taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty when you disembark and arrange private transportation to New York.

The taxi dispatcher at Cape Liberty estimated about a $80 base price, $20+ tolls, and 18-20% tip, so expect it to cost $115-120. You can get quotes online from Dial7 and Carmel.

Ohhh, ok. I see. Thank you. Yes - I think we'll go with one of the two car services. Appreciate your quick response!

Thanks baileymouse. So would these changes affect the preferred route to Cape Liberty? When I sailed in Feb, the shuttle went via Ave E and it was just fine with no trucks.

People coming into 14A should still be able to take Avenue E with no problem, just be careful of the construction. The toll plaza keeps opening and closing different lanes because of the continued construction on the building.

Having an EZ Pass makes it much easier to get through most of the time. I can't wait until this project is over. Commuting is a nightmare.

Save your Hilton points for someplace fun, not a one night stand at EWR!

Carol, we looked at reviews for the Ramada Plaza and they are pretty mixed. A lot of people complain the rooms are dirty which is a bit of a turn off. We may instead go for the Country Inn and Suites which is next door to the Embassy Suites. I read that they offer cruise port transportation for $35 a couple and have a free airport shuttle. They also have breakfast. It would wind up being about $70 more than the Ramada Plaza package but may be worth it for the peace of mind.

Anybody have experience with either of these properties that care to comment?

We stayed at the country inn and suites and loved it. Breakfast was filling and the shuttle was fabulous. ..we walked to ihop for dinner that night very safe and quick walk. ..2 min. Oh and the country inn had fresh cookies at the check in counter...grabbed 1 at check-in and 1 on the way back from dinner. Staff was very nice and helpful. Would highly recommend

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Carol, we looked at reviews for the Ramada Plaza and they are pretty mixed. A lot of people complain the rooms are dirty which is a bit of a turn off. We may instead go for the Country Inn and Suites which is next door to the Embassy Suites. I read that they offer cruise port transportation for $35 a couple and have a free airport shuttle. They also have breakfast. It would wind up being about $70 more than the Ramada Plaza package but may be worth it for the peace of mind.

Anybody have experience with either of these properties that care to comment?

Country Inns would also be a good choice. I stayed there last March. I did just stay at the Ramada this February. The room was clean and updated from the last time I stayed there several years ago, but it's still an airport hotel that I'd rate about 3*. The wifi was free, there was coffee maker and a big flat screen TV and the king sized bed was comfortable. For me it was just a place to sleep before getting on Anthem.

Country Inns would also be a good choice. I stayed there last March. I did just stay at the Ramada this February. The room was clean and updated from the last time I stayed there several years ago, but it's still an airport hotel that I'd rate about 3*. The wifi was free, there was coffee maker and a big flat screen TV and the king sized bed was comfortable. For me it was just a place to sleep before getting on Anthem.

Carol, Your mini-review makes me feel a little better about the Ramada. I don't mind old/out of date but dirty or uncomfortable are deal breakers! I know the Trinity deal does not include breakfast. Did you eat breakfast at the Ramada? Was it any good? Expensive?

Carol, Your mini-review makes me feel a little better about the Ramada. I don't mind old/out of date but dirty or uncomfortable are deal breakers! I know the Trinity deal does not include breakfast. Did you eat breakfast at the Ramada? Was it any good? Expensive?

I did not eat breakfast. I just had coffee in the room. I took the10 am shuttle and was at the port by 10:25 (big surprise since the local traffic reports were awful that morning, a Tuesday). I killed sometime talking to the taxi dispatcher before I went through security, checked in, and was immediately able to board between 11:15 and 11:30. I was not even close to being among the first to board. I went directly to the Cafe 270 to get some lunch. All the Anthem lunch venues that are open on embarkation day open at 11:00 am.

I think the Ramada breakfast offerings are from the cafe only - pastries, fruit, juice, yogurt, bagels, etc. They seemed to have a nice selection and it wasn't expensive. I just knew that an "ocean" of food was awaiting me on the ship.

I wanted to report back on our service from Robert Treat Best Western, we made a reservation with Summit taxi. The driver picked us up on time, in a Lincoln, and drove us to the port for $50.00. Tip was at our discretion. He was friendly, and got us to the port in about 30 minutes.

We were going to take public transportation from the port to our hotel in Manhattan, but my husband wasn't happy with having to use 3 different types of service, and still have to walk with our luggage about another block to the hotel, so I made a reservation with Carmel limo, while we were still on the ship. They will meet us at the ship, at 9:30AM, for $47.00 plus tolls, tip, and wait time if any. I hope all the extras, won't cost too much more.

Does anyone know how much tolls will cost us from Bayonne cruise port to Mid town Manhattan?

Thank you in advance!

I wanted to report back on our service from Robert Treat Best Western, we made a reservation with Summit taxi. The driver picked us up on time, in a Lincoln, and drove us to the port for $50.00. Tip was at our discretion. He was friendly, and got us to the port in about 30 minutes.

We were going to take public transportation from the port to our hotel in Manhattan, but my husband wasn't happy with having to use 3 different types of service, and still have to walk with our luggage about another block to the hotel, so I made a reservation with Carmel limo, while we were still on the ship. They will meet us at the ship, at 9:30AM, for $47.00 plus tolls, tip, and wait time if any. I hope all the extras, won't cost too much more.

Does anyone know how much tolls will cost us from Bayonne cruise port to Mid town Manhattan?

Thank you in advance!

So glad Summit taxi worked well for you.

Tolls to midtown should run $15 to $19 depending on the route.