Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Ford or Glacier National Park

Sandi07054

Hmm.:confused: I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you probably haven't bothered to read the innumerable other threads on this very topic.;p My advice - don't listen to your TA. Do your own research. Just on the first page of posts alone, you can find lots of info to help with this very decision. Be willing to invest a little time reading.;)

Yes I have been reading that Glacier Bay shoukf not be misseed. That's why I was surprised at my TA. I'm now a little nervous about the cruises she recommended.

Thanks

She may not be familiar with Glacier Bay. You may want to either find an agent who is more experienced in Alaska or make sure you do enough research yourself so you know what you want and then let her know. I would probably suggest doing both. My guess is she is familiar with one or two lines and they don't go to Glacier Bay or she simply doesn't know the area at all. Some travel agents may book more Disney vacations or Mexican all inclusives. I use a cruise travel agent who has been on most ships, most lines and is very well traveled.

I recommend Glacier Bay for a first cruise to Alaska as it is 1)Gorgeous and 2) It never seems to be missed. Hubbard and Tracy Arm can be missed. If you think this will be your only time to Alaska and want to see a Glacier - go to Glacier Bay. Some itineraries do 2 glaciers. Worth looking into.

Glad you are doing your research here on CC!

Just clarification. Glacier Bay National Park is what you are interested in. Glacier National Park is in Montana.

Glacier Bay is a World Heritage Site and National Park for a reason. I too would recommend picking a 1st Alaska cruise that includes it.

You can tell you TA which cruise you want - for example HAL Volendam on this date. (That is what we did.)

Thanks Coral

I think the cruise we are looking at is the Princess Ruby inside passage from Seattle the last week in May or first week in June. It includes Glacier Bay. Price for balcony is around 2200. Per person including tax etc. My husband and I really like the balcony so I don't want to skimp on that. We are going to skip staying in Seattle a few extra days to save $.

NCL has free drinks etc and is a little cheaper but I'm thinking a Princess might be better with food etc.

Appreciate your thoughts

Thank you

Thanks Coral

I think the cruise we are looking at is the Princess Ruby inside passage from Seattle the last week in May or first week in June. It includes Glacier Bay. Price for balcony is around 2200. Per person including tax etc. My husband and I really like the balcony so I don't want to skimp on that. We are going to skip staying in Seattle a few extra days to save $.

NCL has free drinks etc and is a little cheaper but I'm thinking a Princess might be better with food etc.

Appreciate your thoughts

Thank you

Princess's prices always start high and they also run promos such as free drinks or OBC periodically. I would definitely watch prices and promos and make sure you book with an agent who will re-fare the price with out a charge. Definitely clarify this before you book with the agent as some agents charge a $50 - $100 fee to do this. Also, make sure they don't charge cancellation fees. Also, Princess still allows agents to discount their cruise, so this could be a way to save money. Some agents will discount around 10% of cruise fare (not taxes). If you are able to get some discounts and price reductions on cruise fare, consider spending some time in Seattle - great city! You have time to make a decision on this.

I think the end of May and first of June are usually great times to cruise (weather wise). Princess does a lot of enrichment programs (naturalist, speakers, etc...) in Alaska which is good. Personally, I wish they had some smaller ships doing RT Seattle but I know I am in the minority for this - most like large ships. I would look for a balcony on Caribe deck as those are larger, they are also partially covered and partially open.

We had a wonderful cruise on the NCL Sun in an Aft balcony. Cost for three persons was $1800 each for first two and nothing for the third. The food on the Sun was a huge improvement over our last NCL Star cruise in 2014. I strongly recommend an aft balcony and the one way cruises from Vancouver to Seward.

We had a wonderful cruise on the NCL Sun in an Aft balcony. Cost for three persons was $1800 each for first two and nothing for the third. The food on the Sun was a huge improvement over our last NCL Star cruise in 2014. I strongly recommend an aft balcony and the one way cruises from Vancouver to Seward.

I like one way cruises also and those are what I usually book but for some, it is easier to go RT out of Seattle or Vancouver. For me, one way cruises, I gain one more glacier day but the logistics are a little bit tougher to get there or home from Anchorage.

Overall, I like aft balconies but am not sold on them in Alaska (and yes, I have been in them in Alaska). I am not a fan of them on glacier days except for when one leaves the glacier. Though - I am usually on deck for glacier days as I don't want to be in one place.