A couple questions from a newbie :)

jonnyk78

We (Me, GF and Daughter) are starting to look into getting things ready for the cruise now that we are getting closer to the Sept 30 sail date and have a couple questions:

1) We will be flying out of Orlando and I see through Southwest the best flight home on Sunday is a 12:30. Will this be enough time to get off the ship (FOS/Port Canaveral) and to the airport?

2) We are flying down on Saturday and we will want to stay close to the port (Port Canaveral). What hotels do you recommend?

3) What is the best method of transportation from and to the airport? I was thinking of the option on even getting a limo or town car to take us.

I look forward to everyone's feedback

:):):):)

From Port Canaveral the ships normally suggest a flight no earlier than noon, so your 12:30 pm flight should be okay.

As to travel from the airport to the port (and return), a black car or limo will be expensive. The cheapest way is to rent a car, but you could also take a shuttle. You can arrange for a private shuttle. Just don't hail a taxi ... they are unbelievably expensive!

Car rental was the least expensive way for us to go when we flew into Orlando and sailed out of Port Canaveral. We used Budget. We picked up the car at the airport, drove to Port Canaveral then dropped off the car with budget and they dropped us off at the cruise ship pier for no additional fee. On the return, they had a van waiting at the pier and drove us to the car rental lot.

We (Me, GF and Daughter) are starting to look into getting things ready for the cruise now that we are getting closer to the Sept 30 sail date and have a couple questions:

1) We will be flying out of Orlando and I see through Southwest the best flight home on Sunday is a 12:30. Will this be enough time to get off the ship (FOS/Port Canaveral) and to the airport?

2) We are flying down on Saturday and we will want to stay close to the port (Port Canaveral). What hotels do you recommend?

3) What is the best method of transportation from and to the airport? I was thinking of the option on even getting a limo or town car to take us.

When we took our kids on a Disney Cruise out of Canaveral, we made arrangements with a shuttle company...sorry I can't remember the name...and make your return arrangements with the same company. Doing that, they will sometimes discount your trip. I think it cost us like $25 per person for both ways. They drove us to the Ramada, which is within walking distance of the port, or if you stay at another hotel, it is a short taxi ride. I think flying after noon is really ideal. For most cruises, you would disembark around 8:00 a.m. and then the shuttle would deliver you to the airport in plenty of time to catch your flight. Enjoy!

The 12:30 flight should be fine. I would just walk-off with your luggage and that will save you some time.

As far as hotels, there really isn't much right there at the port itself within walking distance, but we stayed at the Hilton Marina, which was right across the highway from the port. This was the view from our balcony when we got up that morning:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/jennat99/Oasis%202011/IMG_0588.jpg

Nice huh!:)

I agree with the others on transportation--just rent a car.

Have a great cruise!!

I would personally book the shuttle through the cruise line as they will get you disembarked and on the appropriate shuttle to insure you make your flight. My Port Everglades to FFL airport was $19 each thru Princess. I don't know the costs of Port Canaveral to MCO but lack of stress priceless.

Car rental was the least expensive way for us to go when we flew into Orlando and sailed out of Port Canaveral. We used Budget. We picked up the car at the airport, drove to Port Canaveral then dropped off the car with budget and they dropped us off at the cruise ship pier for no additional fee. On the return, they had a van waiting at the pier and drove us to the car rental lot.

But I doubt they would make a 12:30 flight (meaning be at the Orlando airport by 11:30AM) if they have to rent a car in Port Canaveral and return it in Orlando. In this case, either book a later flight, or use a shuttle service directly from the ship to the airport. And have some "plan B" flight printed out just in case there are any delays.

Is it your daughter or your GF's? A notarized letter from the other parent (if alive) might be needed, especially if you or GF does not have full custody.

We were on the Freedom of the Seas last August and one of our CC members arranged transportation through Cocoa Beach Shuttle. They were on time and because we had about 20 people in our group, I believe the cost was about $20 each including tip so very reasonable (and that was with a 10% discount for mentioning Cruise Critic). The drive can take about an hour with traffic, maybe 45 minutes on a good day so just try to get off the ship first if you can and you should be fine. I also remember RCI wanting to charge us each $36 for the one-way fare and I'm glad we used the Cocoa Beach Shuttle - their vans usually hold about 30 people.

We usually fly into Orlando the day before our cruise, just to be on the safe side. We rent from Budget and stay at a hotel near the port. The drive from Orlando is really easy -toll road but a straight shot and takes about 45 mins. to an hour. (We like the Radisson but there are lots of cheaper places in the area too ). By having a car we can go to a local store and buy some bottled water and some sodas for the trip. Last time I'd forgotten my sun glasses and just ran into local Walgreen and got glasses and extra suntan lotion.Next a.m. we get up and stop at local McD's for a quick breakfast (we never like a big breakfast this day so we are good and hungry for lunch on board - some hotels offer free breakfast ).We drop off rental car at local Budget office and their shuttle takes us back to the cruise terminal. If we have an early flight home, instead of getting the shuttle back to Budget in Canaveral for another one-way rental, we buy transfers for the Carnival bus back to the airport. You can buy them in advance or at excursion desk after boarding. Just make sure you find out what time 1st bus is leaving and be on it so you can get back to MCO airport in plenty of time. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful cruise !

#1) Yes. Take your own luggage off so you can get off first and you should have plenty of time. The ship will want EVERYONE off by 10am so you know you'll have at least 2.5 hours to get to airport and go through security.

#2) I've always gone down on the morning of cruise when cruising out of Port Canaveral so I don't know the hotels.

#3) Its a significant distance (45 min drive) so would likely be expensive to take a limo. I just take the shuttle. Its about $16 per person. If you have a very large family it might be worth getting a car but if only 1-2 people you will be better off with the shuttle.

Archived