Solo cruiser Queen Mary 2 10/16/14

1jazzylady

I have -- many times. It is a great ship and very easy to travel solo. It's funny -- I am waiting for a call back from my TA to book this trip -- but with my DH. Some perks offered this weekend by Cunard if you have not booked yet. Please ask any questions. QM2 is my favorite ship:).

Solo coffee every morning on sea days. Some people don't like it- I won't speculate on exactly why (although I think QV/QE do a better job than QM2). But I consider it mandatory if you want to meet singles. It looks like your trip may be port-intensive. The Social Hostess handles the singles program, don't hesitate to ask what's being arranged.

Otherwise, depends on what interests you have. Assuming this is not your first cruise, you already know about always reading the daily program.

Yes, not my first cruise. We have 12 days with plenty of sea days. I am fine on my own. This will be the first time I request a table for myself only. I usually request a large table for solo travelers. It hasn't worked well for me. So, hopefully I can enjoy the dining room and not just eat at buffets. It gets old.

Thanks for the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Singles coffee, every sea day. Personally, all I expect from the staff is to put out the "Singles Meet Here" sign and arrange for coffee and cookies (I can even get my own coffee if they don't bring decaf). I'm perfectly capable of starting a conversation with those who share my interests ("being single" does not define my existence). I do think the hosts should all attend, that's their job, although not all are a positive contribution.

Others disagree, I gather they want personal servants.

It is a nice thought but not my cup of tea.

I would not get up early to meet a stranger for a cup of coffee on my vacation.

This would be something that would be nice for the solo's on Norwegian Epic studio cabins.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP, we recently crossed on QM2, and one thing I did as a solo, even though I wasn't traveling alone, was daily bridge lessons. It was a great way to enjoy other people without feeling "forced" into a meetup. Bridge instruction may not be offered every time, but I think bridge play is, if you already know how. There's a social needlework and knitting time, arts and crafts activities, etc.

I posted a few Daily Programmes that might be of interest--see the link below.

BTW, if you reconsider about the daily solo coffee, the Social Hostess on that voyage was Lauren Jones--she was a delight. She arranged for several solos to have an evening dining at an officer's table.

Bon Voyage!

https://sites.google.com/site/qm2transatlantic28july2014/

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Edited by Artemis