Short Norway fjord cruise?

I am going to book a Baltic cruise from Stockholm to Copenhagen, but I also would like to do a few days in the Norway fjords. I only seem to find 7 day cruises. Are there any others that are maybe 3 days? Or am I limited to day cruises, and if so, can anyone recommend some good ones? Thank you! I am aware of the Viking cruise that also includes the fjords, and I considered it, but it does not allow a day trip to Moscow, which we really want to do.

I'm guessing the Viking cruise is some sort of combined fjords/baltics, but doesn't stay in st. petersburg for three days (which would make moscow difficult). In addition to the traditional cruise lines, you might want to check Hurtigruten's website to see if they offer something that would work for you (but as the previous poster noted, you can't travel that far in 3 days). There are some limited cruises that do a little of both the baltic/fjords, but it might be hard to find one that also spends 3 days in St. Petersburg since most cruises are only there for one or two days but hopefully if it exists one of the cruise critic members will find it.

Edited by kitkat343

Well my thought was to take the Oceania cruise from Stockholm to Copenhagen. It stays 3 days in St Petersburg and on the middle day you can go to Moscow on the high speed train for the day, which we really want to do. But it's only a 10 day cruise, so I thought we could add a trip to Norway on the front end & fly to Oslo or even Bergen if I can find a short cruise from Bergen. Otherwise I guess it will be a train and day cruise in Norway. To me when I go to Europe I want to stay longer than 10 days as it's a long trip from Denver and expensive to get there. I just think it would be harder to arrange a trip to Moscow independently than Norway as it is much further and there are visa requirements, so I decided on the Oceania cruise instead of Viking.

It's completely understandable that you want to spend more time in Europe. There are some combinations of Baltic/fjords in which you can book a b2b or combined cruise on the same ship, and do both cruises. Unfortunately, those trips tend to be at least 7 days in Norway plus usually have only 2 days in St. Petersburg since the majority of Baltic cruises don't stay in St. Petersburg for more than two days. If you let us know the dates of the Oceana cruise, people might be able to search for a fjord cruise for you, but again I don't know if you'd find anything less than a week. But it would be a really spectacular vacation if someone was able to find a way to make it work.

Edited by kitkat343

I guess you could do a Baltic cruise then separately book a partial Hurtigrutten cruise?

https://www.hurtigruten.com/map/ https://www.hurtigruten.com/ports/

You don't have to go all the way up to Kirkenes, I think you can get off at Trondheim (or Geiranger or any other port along the way if you want).

It will take 2 days to Molde which will include Geiranger fjord. https://www.hurtigruten.com/travel-suggestions/norway/the-voyage-of-discovery-bergen-kirkenes-trondheim/#.V76fg6LDajA

Then if you want 3 days you will get to Rörvik but I don't know if you can find any transport from there other then Hurtigrutten?

Edited by Desdichado62

Hurtigruten ships leave every evening from Bergen, and on the second day sail into Geirangerfjord from June to August, and in Hjorundfjord in September and October. The morning of the third day you arrive in Trondheim (from where you can go to Oslo by plane or train - nice ride). If that works with your timing it can be a good solution.

We did a three day fjord cruise on Hurtigruten, departing Bergen, with port stops in Alesund and Molde, arriving in Trondheim. (Icelandair serves Bergen and Trondheim.) We then took a two day train trip from Trondheim to Ostersund Sweden (overnight) and then on to Stockholm the next day. Hurtigruten ships are smaller and get closer to the amazing scenery. The excursions were good, also.

But when I look at the website for Hurtigruten, there is no stop for Trondheim?? Did you cruise there or get there some other way?

Hurtigruten has options for "a la carte" short cruises. Our meals were not included in our fare. We paid for each meal separately, either the restaurant or the cafe. Our travel agent booked this for us. There are TA's that specialize in travel to Scandinavia. (Can't list names here.) I'll see if there's a good web link I can post for the short cruise option.

OK. On Hurtigruten's US website, a search for a one way cruise lists departure port option for Bergen and arrival port option for Trondheim. The next step is to choose dates. Breakfast is included in the fare. Ships and staterooms choices vary. We had an outside two bed stateroom with window, close to door to outside viewing deck and spent a lot of time outside admiring the scenery.

I can provide more details if you wish.

Edited by PNW Traveler

If the US website is not cooperating, try the "global" website (hurtigruten.com, not hurtigruten.us, or change to "global" in the country choice). You should be able to buy a port-to-port trip from Bergen to Trondheim. (Menu->Find a trip). Or give a call to the US representative, there should be a number on the US website somewhere?

The line is passenger/freight cargo, the ships stop in every port mentioned and you can exit wherever you like.

When are you traveling? Last year, Hurtigruten would not allow advance booking for port-to-port trip far in advance as they were giving priority to people booking the whole journey (from Bergen to Kirkenes). If you are trying to book for next summer, maybe the booking for port-to-port will be only available early next year (in 2016, the booking for port-to-port trips in summer opened some time in February).

Edited by SarniaLo

Why not use the ferry system to get a Fjord cruise? Here is a website that will link to all the ferry lines http://www.thenorwayfjords.com/Ferry.html

We have also done the ferry trip from Copenhagen to Oslo on DFDS Seaways - an overnight ferry ride on a cruise ship style ferry, staterooms included, arrival dock right in downtown Oslo. Also a good choice when visiting Scandinavia.

Thanks PNW and Sarnia. I am planning to book the cruise from Stockholm to Copenhagen (10 days)next August. So I thought I could fly to Oslo from Denver, stay a night in Oslo, then travel to Bergen with one night stop on the way along the Norway in a Nutshell route, then take the Hurtigruten from Bergen to Trondheim, and fly from there to Stockholm to get on the ship. Does the sound reasonable? Should I plan a night in Bergen too? I see the ship leaves at 8pm.

It sounds like a great plan. I think you can plan for one night in Bergen. I'm not sure which time the NiN would get you in Bergen, but Bergen has enough interest to fill a good day, and also that gives you some leeway in case anything goes wrong (for instance this year there has been a roadslide in the mountains which delayed people doing the NiN for a few days). You can also plan I think for a night in Trondheim. The ship arrives in the morning in Trondheim, which is an interesting town to visit I think, and it would be more comfortable to be able to store your luggage somewhere and have time to discover without rushing to the airport.

Thanks PNW and Sarnia. I am planning to book the cruise from Stockholm to Copenhagen (10 days)next August. So I thought I could fly to Oslo from Denver, stay a night in Oslo, then travel to Bergen with one night stop on the way along the Norway in a Nutshell route, then take the Hurtigruten from Bergen to Trondheim, and fly from there to Stockholm to get on the ship. Does the sound reasonable? Should I plan a night in Bergen too? I see the ship leaves at 8pm.

We did this itinerary:

Fly to Copenhagen; DFDS ferry overnight to Oslo; Norway in a Nutshell with overnight in Flam; two nights in Bergen (1 day to explore city); Hurtigruten cruise to Trondheim; train from Trondheim to Ostersund Sweden (overnight stay in Ostersund); train to Stockholm. Along the way we did some excursions and fjord boat trips, a couple of short hikes, and very much enjoyed the mix of transportation.

So, just an opinion - you need at least one night in Bergen and one or two nights in Oslo. We enjoyed our overnight in Flam, lovely boutique hotel. Enjoy your travel planning!

Edited by PNW Traveler

Anyone know how much of a pain it would be to have to carry our cruise luggage on the Norway in a Nutshell route? Rick Steves says just put it overhead on the trains, but we will have one large suitcase, which we need for the Oceania cruise part of this trip. We can't lift it overhead.

Anyone know how much of a pain it would be to have to carry our cruise luggage on the Norway in a Nutshell route? Rick Steves says just put it overhead on the trains, but we will have one large suitcase, which we need for the Oceania cruise part of this trip. We can't lift it overhead.

I have no eexperience from travelling by train in Norway but I found this info: https://www.nsb.no/en/on-board/taking-luggage-on-board

You will need to hoist your bags onto the train, but in Norway the trains are modern, with relatively level platforms,and the hoist effort shouldn't be a problem unless your bag is extremely heavy. You may have to keep it with you near your seat. It definitely won't fit in the overhead. Some of the trains had an area near the door where an upright bag would fit, but not all trains have this configuration.

We travel and cruise with carry-on bags only, so have not experienced train travel with large luggage.

We have enjoyed train travel in Scandinavia. Trains are modern, clean, efficient, and always "on time."