concerns about random winds

jean87510

I have booked a trip for my family in November 2015 on Random winds. If anyone has taken this recently, as in the last 6 months, can you please let me know if the captain is really as rude as recent reviews have suggested on ta? I am really concerned because it appears that he was criticizing americans especially the younger generation and quite frankly if this is the case, I really do not need to spend $500 plus dollars to be insulted. Any input positive and negative would be appreciated.

This sounded strange (I am a happy, repeat customer of Random Wind...) so I took a look at TripAdvisor.

Clearly, the 3 negative reviews are all from one family group, on the same day, with almost the same complaints. They all got pi**ed about something, and decided to write bad reviews.

My suggestion is for you to read the rest of the reviews and comments, both here and on TA, then make your own decision.

Large, entitled - feeling group, unruly kids, young adults with too many cocktails...who knows, but I strongly suspect that there are two distinct sides to this story, and we are only hearing one side.

We were on the Random wind with our kids and grandkids in July.

We had a wonderful time and would recommend it.

That said, one of my daughters did think that Trevor was a little abrupt with the younger children, especially on the trapeze swing. I think it was because safety was his utmost concern, which is how it should be. However she felt he didn't know how to talk to children as well as he should. On the other hand, the hostess April was an absolute doll. The kids loved her.

The water was a little rough on the way back, and I wished my grandchildren would have taken seasick pills before we went. Two of the teens were not too happy on the long trip back. Just a word to the wise.

I have read many wonderful reviews with most people saying they have taken this trip several times because it is so good. I also read the review about the captain, but like one other person said, it was probably someone who was mad about other things but who knows? I would email the owner (Di) at info@randomwind.com and just ask her directly if she has many complaints about the captain. I believe she is on every trip unless she is on vacation, etc. We have booked this trip for October and can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I sailed with Random Wind in January with a fairly large group, we had prearranged to have the boat to ourselves. Trevor was beyond rude (from the moment we stepped into the little Zodiac type boat that took us over to Random Wind) and several of our party gave serious thought to bailing on the trip. We decided to remain because the "hostess" was a lovely young lady. Had it not been for her, it would not have been a pleasant day.

I will say that Trevor is a competent captain and the sailing that day was lovely.

Would I book again? Probably not. Too many other choices!

Maybe you will catch him on a good day... though I am not sure he has too many of those! The day we sailed with him was his birthday! :eek:

• 1 month later...

We were on Random Wind on September 28th and had a great time. Trevor and April were outstanding.

I will say Trevor can appear a bit gruff but his number 1 concern is the safety of everyone on-board. I did spend some time talking to Trevor and found him to be quite interesting and pleasant to talk to. He has had some amazing life experiences and some strong views but I really enjoyed the time I spent talking to him.

When we return to St Maarten we look forward to going on Random Wind again.