Golf carts on pier?

cruisinconvert

My wife and I are going to St. Martin in December. I think there will be six ships in port that day. My concern is the pier quite long and I can't walk great distances. I thought I read somewhere that there are golf carts that charge you a dollar per person. Can that be arranged ahead of time or do you just flag one down? We have an excursion which leaves a half hour after we dock

For some reason, I was thinking there were 1 or 2 trams that ran continually back and forth between the ships and the port entrance gate that was free (obviously tips were greatly appreciated). Hopefully someone can confirm this.

That's the way it was when we were there in January (2015) ... but I thought it was $1 pp ... could be wrong on the charge.

Edited by OCruisers

Word of caution: the day we were there earlier this year, there were about 6 ships in port, and it was very busy. Returning to the ship midday there wasn't a tram to be found in operation. I saw a couple of empty golf carts, no drivers. I did see many people sitting in the sun(no shade) looking pretty miserable waiting for a ride. One of them was my 87 year old mom. We finally coaxed her to keep walking because she needed to get out of the heat. Her distress came on quickly, and the long walk (furthest ship), heat, crowds and no ride was pretty awful. We asked for help but nobody tried to help us. I hope you have better luck.

The port has multiple piers to accommodate many ships - you might want to google it to see how large it is and the worst case scenario. From where we got out of the taxi to the ship is a 10 - 15 minute walk for the average person. It probably took us closer to 25 - 30 minutes, but there were a few starts and stops as we ran around looking for a ride. Made worse of course by the sun and the heat.

If you are concerned about when you arrive and making your excursion, I wouldn't be. Things seemed to be much more organized early in the day. It was mid-day that it was a problem. The actual ride itself should take only a couple of minutes, although the trams will likely wait until they are full before they go; people flock off the ship when it arrives, so it shouldn't be long. There might even be someone when you get off with a walkie talkie in communication with the driver, and they can help you. Just be prepared for the way back, that it might not go as smoothly.

Good luck to you.

Edited by JFontaine

JFontaine

Thanks for your word of caution. It is hard for me to judge the length of the pier. It sounds like you were the on the ship farthest from the port. How long did it take for you all to walk it with your mom?

According to Google Earth, from the Taxi Dispatch area to the end of the 'regular' pier is about 686 yards. To the end of the 'Mega' pier it is 729 yards.

gary