Any issues with late season Alaska (Glacier Bay) cruises?

Shellbelle28

I've got a 7-day Alaska cruise booked for mid-September 2015. Being a northwesterner, I am not worried about gray or rainy weather, but I wondered if there are other things to expect at that time of year that are different than mid-summer?

Are there some shore excursions best to avoid at this time of year?

Our last Alaska cruise was the beginning of September and though it was rainy for every port day, we had beautiful sunshine at Glacier Bay and were able to go in quite close because the seal calving season was done.

The longer chilkoot tours stopped on sept 5 this year.

The weather can be a lot wetter. I recently read a trip report that sounded pretty dismal with rain everyday but you can be lucky with the weather.

If you are doing a land tour in Central Alaska the longer fjord tours may have finished by mid sept.

You will have to research which excursions aren't available. The biggest complaint I've read is people saying the excursion was in the brochure but they weren't told til they were on board that they weren't available that late in the season.

Edited by paddingtonbear

John Hopkins Glacier is only accessible by ship after 9/1, a bonus. Denali "glitter gulch" area shuts down for the season around 9/15. You can be more susceptible to stormy weather later in September. As others mentioned, daylight hours are not extended like July and early August. Black bear viewing may be less as the salmon runs come to their natural end beginning mid September. I was just on a cruise and land tour 8/31-9/14 and we had phenomenal weather with full mountain visibility in Denali. But that is more fortuitous than the dates.

Thanks for the great info :)

Question though, has anyone done these tours with kids? I'm not sure how my then 5 year old will last even on a 6 hour boat ride. It's much different than being able to go back to your room on the ship if they get cranky ;)

Thanks!