Any body been to TUNIS lately?

freanesi

Hi all. Am booked on a cruise stopping at La Goulette in August this year. Does anybody have information regarding how safe it is at the moment and any opinions regarding private tour operators vs ship tours (for safety reasons)? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

To the original poster: Tunis is a fine place to visit. They are one of the most stable of the countries that underwent a change of government during the Arab Spring, and the transition has been largely peaceful. You can consider a private tour here without problem (other than locating a good tour provider, of course).

I highly recommend the Bardo Museum -- beautiful former royal palace that has been transformed into a museum for the many Roman mosaics recovered throughout the country. It just underwent a massive renovation and the mosaics are well displayed. There are also ruins of Roman baths right on the shore of the Mediterranean (Antonine Baths) and the ruins of Carthage, which, if you are a history buff, are a must.

I wouldn't go there....you couldn't pay me to go to anywhere in that region. I know there are folks who will go anywhere, any time, and say NY is more dangerous. Screw em...I'm not going to that region...those folks are nuts!

Why do you post on threads like these? You are not offering any useful information. You have said you do not even own a passport, so clearly you are not going to Tunis nor anywhere else outside the US to gain any real experience of what the rest of the world is like.

Thank you for your replies, especially cruisemom42. Any pointers on how to find a good tour guide? I have found some on Viator, some with good reviews others with not so good reviews. I still have a while to go yet, so plenty of time for decisions to be made. :)

Thank you for your replies, especially cruisemom42. Any pointers on how to find a good tour guide? I have found some on Viator, some with good reviews others with not so good reviews. I still have a while to go yet, so plenty of time for decisions to be made. :)

I would suggest looking at the reviews on Tripadvisor and then contacting the submitter to verify. (Unfortunately, I have found on Tripadvisor that some good reviews are "plants" by the guide in question...)

I have been to Tunisia three times in the last three years and have enjoyed seeing the many Roman ruins throughout the country. Unfortunately, I don't have a guide to recommend to you. If you get nowhere through Tripadvisor, I could try to contact our "arranger" in Tunisia who might have suggestions...

Probably best to continue this conversation on the Ports of Call boards where you'll find folks more interested in sharing helpful info.

I also think you must go to the Bardo museum...as Cruisemom says it is remarkable mosaics and Roman artifacts. Also the bazaar is something to see. Dates back hundreds and hundreds of years. There are a lot of street vendors trying to sell you stuff but that never bothers me. We did not have any problems. It is not European in character but worth a stop. We toured through the cruise lines and our guide was very knowledgable on history of his country. The people we interacted with we're very nice to us and especially our younger daughter. Glad we went.

I've just looked at the UK Government's update about Tunisia, because many thousands go there for holidays. It mentions that over 400,000 UK nationals went in 2013.

There is a map showing where the Government advises not to go- these areas are far from the coast, and are mainly bordering the desert and other African countries. They have no problems with tourists visiting the coast.

I'm sorry that I'm not good enough to post links, but if you Google UK Gov Tunis, you should find the article which was updated today, the 16th.

I would have no problem taking a package tour of a week or two to the Tunisian coast.