Has anyone heard about the fires in Alaska?

suzziecruisie

We sailed on August 1st and ended the land portion in Fairbanks last Thursday. The only smoke we encountered was in Fairbanks, however, several fires were burning throughout the State. The weather reported new fires and said they were moving south.

There are 2 large fires near Eagle, on the Yukon River near the Yukon border -one is 24,000 acres, the other is 60,000, and the smoke has reduced visibility in eastern Alaska and much of the Yukon. I was stopped for 7 hours by one of the fires a few days ago - http://www.explorenorth.com/library/nature/boundary_creek_fire-1033.html - and you can see what the fires have done to the visibility even at Carcross at http://www.yukonalaska.com/webcam/webcam/ (it's actually pretty good tonight - yesterday the mountain was invisible).

Murray

>>We were told by a Park Ranger that they have to let the fires "just burn" because the area is so vast that fighting them doesn't work.<<

That's not quite true - there are over 300 people fighting the two fires near Eagle, for example. When fires threaten or may spread to threaten anything man-made, they're fought. Other than that, they're just monitored because fire is good for the ecosystem - a mature black spruce forest (which is largely what we have in the interior) is a virtually sterile environment that little can live in, and a forest fire opens up and revitalizes the area.

Murray

There are 2 large fires near Eagle, on the Yukon River near the Yukon border -one is 24,000 acres, the other is 60,000, and the smoke has reduced visibility in eastern Alaska and much of the Yukon. I was stopped for 7 hours by one of the fires a few days ago - http://www.explorenorth.com/library/nature/boundary_creek_fire-1033.html - and you can see what the fires have done to the visibility even at Carcross at http://www.yukonalaska.com/webcam/webcam/ (it's actually pretty good tonight - yesterday the mountain was invisible).

Murray

Murray, I didn't know you were a man of so many talents! Besides an expert on everything and anything we want to know about Alaska and the Yukon, you're a professional photographer, an author (I just got your book, "Fractured Veins & Broken Dreams" from the library to read), and now I find out you're a tour bus driver! What other hidden talents do you possess?

We were in Denali Park on July 29th and took the shuttle to Fish Creek. We didn't see a thing because of the fires. However, it rained a day or two later and then the some sun. The rain cleared the smoke. When I was there I was told there were several fires burning.

>>Murray, I didn't know you were a man of so many talents!<<

To live in a cabin in a place like Carcross, a person needs to have a pretty broad spectrum of abilities (and interests). Particularly if they get bored with one job quickly :D

>>Murray, I didn't know you were a man of so many talents!<<

To live in a cabin in a place like Carcross, a person needs to have a pretty broad spectrum of abilities (and interests). Particularly if they get bored with one job quickly :D

Murray, you should publish a book of your photographs. They are so enjoyable to look at and with the magnificent scenery all around you, I'm sure it would be a "best seller". Sign me up to buy a copy!

Off the subject a bit, but do you know a good resource of lighthouses in Alaska?

Thanks again for sharing your wisdom and knowledge of Alaska and the Yukon!

Thanks, it's always nice to hear that my photos are being enjoyed :)

I have 2 books coming out towards the end of this year - a new Alaska Highway one, and a revised edition of "Fractured Veins & Broken Dreams" (the original sold out a couple of years ago).

Surprisingly, the only book out about the wonderful Alaska lighthouses is http://thelighthousepeople.com/Alaska/AlaskaBook.html (and it's not detailed at all - hmmmmm :D ).

Murray

>>What about the inside passage, Juneau, Sitka, Skagway and Ketchikan, I'm going for my very first time in 2 weeks?<<

There has been very little fire smoke along the coast this year (unlike last year!). Two weeks is a lifetime away, though.

Murray

We live in Northern Montana, and are in the midst of our fire season.

On top of our own smoke, the Alaska smoke is being funneled down trough the Inland Passage by some strange weather phenomenon, and settling in among the mountains.

I suppose we can expect the same sky in Alaska, on our trip in September as we are experiencing here in Montana.

If the sunsets are as spectacular through the haze in Alaska, as the ones here, we shall take advantage of some great photo opportunities.

>>On top of our own smoke, the Alaska smoke is being funneled down trough the Inland Passage by some strange weather phenomenon, and settling in among the mountains.<<

The smoke is traveling down the Rocky Mountain Trench, actually. The satellite images show the Inside Passage as smoke-free as of last night.

Murray

>>On top of our own smoke, the Alaska smoke is being funneled down trough the Inland Passage by some strange weather phenomenon, and settling in among the mountains.<<

The smoke is traveling down the Rocky Mountain Trench, actually. The satellite images show the Inside Passage as smoke-free as of last night.

Murray

Thanks Murray - I will take your word against CBS News anyday!!

Regardless - we are almost "socked-in" today.

>>Thanks Murray - I will take your word against CBS News anyday!!<<

It's the word of the satellite photos, actually - they show that the coast is clear of smoke (verified by my trip to Skagway an hour ago) and that the smoke is headed towards the Trench, a common "route" down.

Murray

Archived