Le truck

aprilsp88

Hi,

Is Le truck the public bus in Tahiti? Does each island have Le truck? How do I find more information such as schedule and where does it go?

Is it a good idea to take Le truck for a round island ride just for some photo opportunities? Can we get on and off the truck freely?

Thanks,

April

Yes, le truck is the public bus. It used to be trucks with wooden benches. I don't know whether they still run or have been replaced by regular busses.

On Tahiti, it's not possible to go around the island on le truck because it follows the route and times of high demand which are not around the island. We were assured by the tourist information and the bus driver that he would come back to the road in front of the Gauguin museum (not worth it, probably closed now), but after an hour of waiting beyond the indicated time, we had to hitchhike back to Papeete.

On Moorea, the bus seems to be timed with the ferries. I never saw a printed schedule. I don't know about the other islands, but I suspect the busses - if they exist - are also on island time.

To answer your question, no. It's better to rent a car.

Edited by Floridiana

Floridiana,

Thank you for answer both my posts! As I understand, all FP islands have circular road. Do you mean sometimes buses won't go around the whole circle? If I just stay on the bus, will I go back to the starting station?

We took a bus in Norway once as there is only manual car and we don't know how to drive it, and there is no other tours available at the dock. So we just took a bus for a circle the island tour.

Thanks,

April

Yes, the islands have circular roads and no busses that go around the circle because the locals do not need this route. On Tahiti, busses run frequently in Papeete and its suburbs but not further away. It's quite a large island with a smaller one connected by a land bridge. The small one does not have a circular road.

The major car rental companies are present on Tahiti. Maybe you find another couple to share the car on your roll call.

In Moorea and Tahiti, we rented a car. Another time, we booked a tour into the interior of the islands, but it seems that the road to the interior of Tahiti is now blocked on one side. The tour was great on Moorea. It also went to the Belvedere, a wonderful spot to see two bays.

We also walked on Moorea and believe me, in some areas those gulleys on the ring road are knee deep and dangerous. They need to hold the water masses coming down in tropical rains.

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/tahiti/684253#sthash.eMdsmdDY.dpbs

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g309685-s303/Moorea:French-Polynesia:Public.Transportation.html

No more Le Truck on Tahiti.

As of Jan 2, 2014 there was no Le Truck in Moorea or in Tahiti. It was stopped about 2 years ago in Tahiti. There is now a bus that goes from the ferry around the south side of the island past Le Petite Village shopping area to the Intercontinental although you must let the driver know you are going that far. The fare was 300 CFP. If your resort is on the north end of the island you will need to arrange transportation through the resort. There is a hotel shuttle which is about $1500 CFP per person or you can get a taxi. The taxi was 4500 CFP from the ferry to the Intercontinental Resort.

Edited by Donray

Wow, surprised Le Truck has been stopped.

No, not all FP islands have a circular road around them--depends on the island and its shape. Bora Bora and Moorea, yes. Tahiti, sort of, not including Tahiti Iti (smaller peninsula.) Raiatea, not really, Huahine, neither. This is just the Societies--the Marquesas are quite different (and undeveloped), as are the atolls.

When I was in Tahiti two years ago it was hard to get the bus since they were very full and would not stop. Finally had to flag down a taxi.

There were lots of Le Trucks and few buses.

I would not depend on the bus system.