Blimey !!! - Belize - I'm Shocked

delirious9876

I'm going on a cruise with RCI soon with 2 friends who are gay. One port of call is Belize.

Just doing a bit of reading to find out what Belize is like as a place and what there is to do…………………………………………………….

Shocking !!!

· Section 53 of the Belize Criminal Code says "Every person who has same sex relations is against the order of nature …….. with any person ... shall be liable to imprisonment for 10 years

· Under Section 5(1) of the Immigration Act, "... [T]he following persons are prohibited immigrants – ... (e) any homosexual person who may be living on the proceeds of or is engaging in homosexual behaviour

If my two friends get off the ship they're committing a criminal offence straight away and if they kissed and someone saw them, they might get 10 years extra in jail on top of the criminal jail sentence for breaking the Belize immigration laws !

Blimey !!! :eek::eek::eek:

I'd avoid Russia as well.

In all honesty, this is no different than many other laws that prohibit activities otherwise allowed in your home state/country. But to be clear, in my opinion those laws are silly (especially when other more significant social issues persist).

Go visit Thailand and scream obscenities about their King in a public space. You won't like what (may) happen.

Remember that even in the US same sex relationships against the law in random municipalities. Thankfully those laws are not enforced (that I have read), but still. Then of course you have people who think that it is necessary to outlaw same sex messages (not passing judgement, just saying).

While the US is definitely more accepting of same sex relationships than it ever has been, there are portions of the country who would adopt the laws in Belize if they could.

Edited by JasonV1

Up front - I strongly disagree with Belize's attitude towards homosexuality, and the attitude of similar countries.

In reality, your friends are not immigrants, they're tourists. If I were them I'd either stay on the ship, or avoid any public displays of affection (hand holding, kissing) while in Belize.

It sucks, it's wrong, but those are the laws of the country you're visiting, and you have to either avoid that country, or stick with their laws for the short period of time that you're there.

Each country should, and does, have the ability to create the laws their people want. As long as the majority prefer it that way, we don't have any right to question it. There are many people around the world who believe many Western laws are wrong and we wouldn't entertain their thoughts on our laws, so this shouldn't be any different.

Now, you do have a choice on if you wish to visit a place like that.

Each country should, and does, have the ability to create the laws their people want. As long as the majority prefer it that way, we don't have any right to question it. There are many people around the world who believe many Western laws are wrong and we wouldn't entertain their thoughts on our laws, so this shouldn't be any different.

I liked your post :)

Each country should, and does, have the ability to create the laws their people want.

Not true. Actually, most western countries have laws to protect minorities, even if the majority wants to oppress them. The people cannot pass certain laws, even if the majority wants to do so.

For example, in the US, the constitution forbids slavery, even if the majority vote for it. The constitution prohibits bans on same sex marriage, even if the majority vote for it.

I'm going on a cruise with RCI soon with 2 friends who are gay. One port of call is Belize.

Just doing a bit of reading to find out what Belize is like as a place and what there is to do…………………………………………………….

Shocking !!!

· Section 53 of the Belize Criminal Code says "Every person who has same sex relations is against the order of nature …….. with any person ... shall be liable to imprisonment for 10 years

· Under Section 5(1) of the Immigration Act, "... [T]he following persons are prohibited immigrants – ... (e) any homosexual person who may be living on the proceeds of or is engaging in homosexual behaviour

If my two friends get off the ship they're committing a criminal offence straight away and if they kissed and someone saw them, they might get 10 years extra in jail on top of the criminal jail sentence for breaking the Belize immigration laws !

In many countries, females do not have the same rights as men. Man and women can not show affection in a public place. So what is the point? It's a different country, and when you visit, you must obey all laws regardless of whether you agree with it or not.

Some countries, you can go nude on the beach. Other countries, a women can not show any skin. Both of these get strong feelings also.

So tell them not to kiss and hold hands, and they will be fine.

I seem to recall being told that Belize, kinda "looks the other way" with cruise passengers so long as any "sexual"activity isn't blatant and on open display in public. This "looking the other way" supposedly came about when Belize was trying to break into the cruise-oriented tourist business and suddenly realized that the passengers on the first, or one of the first, cruise ships (European in registry) to stop in Belize were 80% gay men. :eek:

This could be misinformation. But considering the thousands of cruise passengers who have debarked in Belize since that time you'd expect to have heard of ,hundreds if not thousands, of arrests and fine being handed out on the tender pier!

I would think if your friends minimized public displays of affection and abstained during the port visit, they will have committed no crime and should be fine.

That would make too much sence. Lately gay couples been up in your face with public display of their fillings. I didn't know about this law , but I now feel a lot better that my kids won't get exposed to homosexuality while we're in Belize.

Edited by ODECCIT

I am straight and have lived in Belize for over six years. I have many very open gay friends here in San Pedro. Belize is a young country, 35 years old. Most of its laws were copied and pasted from British Honduras. British Laws.

A lot of the laws are kept on the books for the church. There is a huge Gay community in Belize. Gay pride week including parades. Aids awareness events, Belize gay web sites. You have no need to worry about prosecution. Come on down and enjoy and be yourself.

That would make too much sence. Lately gay couples been up in your face with public display of their fillings. I didn't know about this law , but I now feel a lot better that my kids won't get exposed to homosexuality while we're in Belize.

I think your post aas supposed to read "some couples". It's not all by any means "all" as my 2 friends won't show affection in public - so you're wrong.

And your comment about 'exposing yourself to homosexuality' I find judgmental, disgusting and homophobic.

Disgusting !!!!!!

Edited by delirious9876

I think your post aas supposed to read "some couples". It's not all by any means "all" as my 2 friends won't show affection in public - so you're wrong.

And your comment about 'exposing yourself to homosexuality' I find judgmental, disgusting and homophobic.

Disgusting !!!!!!

Why is it disgusting? Maybe it's a different point of view from yours? We all trying to raise our children the way we want to raise them, so don't be judgmental about it.

Disgusting !!!!!!

Thank you for saying this.

And you've never seen a straight couple be "up in your face with public displays of their fillings"? I've seen many more straight couples display public affection. Good thing your beliefs aren't the "up in your face type", as I wouldn't want my kids to be exposed to you.

To the OP, it's unnerving to think your friends might have to be careful about how they act, but most of the people I met in Belize were nice and seemed accepting of others. I don't think you'll have to worry about it too much. Have fun on your trip!

And just a short story to share on the subject - I have two friends that are a couple but are not married, and when they traveled to the middle east, they both wore wedding rings as they were sharing a hotel room.

And you've never seen a straight couple be "up in your face with public displays of their fillings"? I've seen many more straight couples display public affection. Good thing your beliefs aren't the "up in your face type", as I wouldn't want my kids to be exposed to you.

To the OP, it's unnerving to think your friends might have to be careful about how they act, but most of the people I met in Belize were nice and seemed accepting of others. I don't think you'll have to worry about it too much. Have fun on your trip!

And just a short story to share on the subject - I have two friends that are a couple but are not married, and when they traveled to the middle east, they both wore wedding rings as they were sharing a hotel room.

You can raise your kids the way you want it and keep them away from straight couples. It doesn't bother me at all. I'll stay away from gay couples, it's hard to explain at their early age why some kids have 2 mommys.

Edited by ODECCIT

I am not gay, but I do disagree with what you said about our right to disagree!

If I was gay, I'd organize to push the cruise industry to stay away from these ports! You'd be surprised how powerful American tourist dollars are!:eek:

Not going to Belize is not that big a deal, high crime, dumpy dangerous downtown!

Edited by American Bear

I think I must be a bit knaive about equality and other countries. Didn't think anti gay laws were as prevalent until I've just read about most Caribbean/Bahamas cruise ports RCCL calls at !!!

Latin America, and South America are mostly Catholic, and follow strict Catholic doctrine! And their punishments can be severe!

Shocking !!!

THen I hope your friends are discreet

Not true. Actually, most western countries have laws to protect minorities, even if the majority wants to oppress them. The people cannot pass certain laws, even if the majority wants to do so.

For example, in the US, the constitution forbids slavery, even if the majority vote for it. The constitution prohibits bans on same sex marriage, even if the majority vote for it.

THe constitution prohibits bans on same sex marriage????/ bs

Disgusting !!!!!!

I find blatent homosexual displays of affection disgusting