Eurodam SY 7079 - is is windy on Alaska cruise?

JoieNsk

We are kind of new to cruising, and also it is going to be our first time with Holland America.

I would appreciate an advice from experienced cruises. I am holding right now room 7079 on Eurodam for Alaska cruise in August. It looks like a nice roomy cabin for two adults and an 18 yo.

But I read somewhere that angled balconies facing forward can be really windy while the ship moves. Is that true?

I want to use the balcony - that's the main reason I picked up this cabin, as it seems like it gives an expanded view because of the angulation.

It would be extremely disappointing for us if we would not be able to use the balcony because of the wind - especially that Alaska is not going to be that warm really.

Thank you very much in advance for any info.

We are kind of new to cruising, and also it is going to be our first time with Holland America.

I would appreciate an advice from experienced cruises. I am holding right now room 7079 on Eurodam for Alaska cruise in August. It looks like a nice roomy cabin for two adults and an 18 yo.

But I read somewhere that angled balconies facing forward can be really windy while the ship moves. Is that true?

I want to use the balcony - that's the main reason I picked up this cabin, as it seems like it gives an expanded view because of the angulation.

It would be extremely disappointing for us if we would not be able to use the balcony because of the wind - especially that Alaska is not going to be that warm really.

Thank you very much in advance for any info.

I my opinion, that stateroom verandah will indeed be quite windy unless you are standing right against the next forward verandah divider while the ship is moving. For truly wind-free verandahs, an aft stateroom is best. In the latter, you can have your meals outside even when the ship is moving.

IMHO the best "bend" staterooms are 6049 and 6052 that are recessed from the wind and have the overhang of the Penthouse Suites above.

I my opinion, that stateroom verandah will indeed be quite windy unless you are standing right against the next forward verandah divider while the ship is moving. For truly wind-free verandahs, an aft stateroom is best. In the latter, you can have your meals outside even when the ship is moving.

IMHO the best "bend" staterooms are 6049 and 6052 that are recessed from the wind and have the overhang of the Penthouse Suites above.

Thank you very much!

That's what I was thinking too. But I don't have practical experience.

I do have an aft suite booked on the Oosterdam. Unfortunately it is Neptune Suite - unfortunately because we really don't need the lounge etc. But there are no signature aft suites on Oosterdam.

And just verandah room is going to be a little tight for us for a whole week.

With Neptune Suite I do feel like I am paying for something we don't need. But I really like the idea of a great view. I am taking my mom, she wants to see Alaska and I decided I'll pay for that suite just for the view. Who knows if she will ever go again.

I thought that the "angled" rooms would provide really nice view but for less money. But if the wind would make the balcony useless I'd better pay for the aft suite.

Thank you very much!

That's what I was thinking too. But I don't have practical experience.

I do have an aft suite booked on the Oosterdam. Unfortunately it is Neptune Suite - unfortunately because we really don't need the lounge etc. But there are no signature aft suites on Oosterdam.

You will really like the aft-wrap Neptune Suite. Your verandah will hold at least 30 of your friends, provide nearly 210 degrees of viewing, and a nice place to eat while the ship is moving. Room Service breakfast on your verandah will be a nice start for the day. The free appetizers each afternoon are a nice touch, too.

You will really like the aft-wrap Neptune Suite. Your verandah will hold at least 30 of your friends, provide nearly 210 degrees of viewing, and a nice place to eat while the ship is moving. Room Service breakfast on your verandah will be a nice start for the day. The free appetizers each afternoon are a nice touch, too.

Thank you very much, the great view and the possibility to have a nice room service breakfast makes paying for the suite a little less painful for me :)))

I had a suite experience with Celebrity, and though the room was very nice and overall we were having fun, I could not help feeling that we really were not using most of the stuff we were paying for.

And this time I also feel like I am going to pay for something we are not going to use.

But I also feel if my mom would not go to Alaska again - this time she would have the best opportunity to see everything in a very relaxed way at our private balcony.

I know people say that the best way to see Alaska is to go to the observation deck or something like that but even I myself would prefer to be with my mom and my daughter instead of going to the public place. Family time :)

And that balcony with the view and some extra space in the room should make it worth paying for that suite this time.

But I still am looking if I can figure something the same good but more practical :)

an Alaska cruise is port intensive. Mostly you will travel at night. We usually do not spend a lot of time in our room--just for sleeping and dressing. I know your Mom will really enjoy this cruise!

Thank you very much for the insight.

The Oosterdam's itinerary has the first day as a sea day and the second day is scenic cruising Stephens Passage. So that kind of makes it a second sea day, right? The day doesn't have any times scheduled for arrival and departure, so I assume it is just sailing.

That makes the 2 of the 7 days to be sea days. So I feel we would use a balcony a lot? Unless I don't understand something.

And - yes - my mom really wanted to go to Alaska but could not do it before by herself. And this is going to be "girls trip" for me, my mom and my daughter. My husband could not go as we already travel a lot this year, and Alaska was not his priority.

So I am trying to make this trip a really nice and relaxing one :)

an Alaska cruise is port intensive. Mostly you will travel at night. We usually do not spend a lot of time in our room--just for sleeping and dressing.

A Eurodam itinerary is though only 1 sea day out of 7.

And it also has Glacier Bay instead of Hubbard Glacier with Oosterdam.

That's why I am still feeling like Eurodam is better as people say Glacier Bay is "better" then Hubbard Glacier?

Though Eurodam cruise is more pricey overall, every room is a little more than on Oosterdam.

The dates are almost exactly the same.

A Eurodam itinerary is though only 1 sea day out of 7.

And it also has Glacier Bay instead of Hubbard Glacier with Oosterdam.

That's why I am still feeling like Eurodam is better as people say Glacier Bay is "better" then Hubbard Glacier?

Though Eurodam cruise is more pricey overall, every room is a little more than on Oosterdam.

The dates are almost exactly the same.

Glacier Bay is a World Heritage Site, Hubbard Glacier is not.

Glacier Bay is guaranteed glacier viewing, Hubbard has been skipped - too much ice, or the views are at a distance - less than optimal. (You sailing may vary. I would choose Glacier Bay.)

Keep in mind that your cruise is 7 nights, 6 days. Your first day is in port, Seattle; you will sail away late afternoon and enjoy the scenery going out through Puget sound and then the Strait on your way to the ocean until it gets dark and or dinner time.

The next day is all at sea, mostly in open ocean. The 3rd day you will have scenery approaching Juneau where you will be in port 1pm - 10pm.

Then day 4 cruising Glacier Bay is an all-day event where it's great to have space see it all, and a place to keep warm.

After Sitka and Ketchikan ports, and on the last day before your evening port in Victoria, you will have the lovely partial days to enjoy your suite and verandah.

The last "day" of your cruise (what could be called day 7) is really short and taken up with getting breakfast and getting off the ship.

So my point is that you will have a lot of time on the ship when not in ports and with daylight to enjoy the scenery and family time in the room.

I hope you can find a room to your liking. I think it would be hard not to enjoy the suite! And with so many perks that come with it I think you will enjoy it plenty! For myself, I'd consider a balcony quite a luxury, and plenty of room to enjoy (I shared a porthole room with 2 granddaughters on our Alaska trip) but the suite is such a huge step up I don't think I'd want to leave it! :) m--

Glacier Bay is a World Heritage Site, Hubbard Glacier is not.

Glacier Bay is guaranteed glacier viewing, Hubbard has been skipped - too much ice, or the views are at a distance - less than optimal. (You sailing may vary. I would choose Glacier Bay.)

Thank you, I did not know all that.

Keep in mind that your cruise is 7 nights, 6 days. Your first day is in port, Seattle; you will sail away late afternoon and enjoy the scenery going out through Puget sound and then the Strait on your way to the ocean until it gets dark and or dinner time.

The next day is all at sea, mostly in open ocean. The 3rd day you will have scenery approaching Juneau where you will be in port 1pm - 10pm.

Then day 4 cruising Glacier Bay is an all-day event where it's great to have space see it all, and a place to keep warm.

After Sitka and Ketchikan ports, and on the last day before your evening port in Victoria, you will have the lovely partial days to enjoy your suite and verandah.

The last "day" of your cruise (what could be called day 7) is really short and taken up with getting breakfast and getting off the ship.

So my point is that you will have a lot of time on the ship when not in ports and with daylight to enjoy the scenery and family time in the room.

I hope you can find a room to your liking. I think it would be hard not to enjoy the suite! And with so many perks that come with it I think you will enjoy it plenty! For myself, I'd consider a balcony quite a luxury, and plenty of room to enjoy (I shared a porthole room with 2 granddaughters on our Alaska trip) but the suite is such a huge step up I don't think I'd want to leave it! :) m--

Thank you very much for such detailed advise! I really appreciate it!

With three people, you will greatly appreciate the extra space in a Neptune Suite.

We are very fond of the aft wrap Neptune Suites on Oosterdam and her sisters. We prefer those on deck five because they have absolutely huge balconies and are fully covered which can be very nice when there is rain and Alaska is known for that.

Other benefits include a full size table with four chairs on the aft balcony. Really nice since you can order room service off the MDR menus anytime the MDR is open. BTW, you can do this in any room on HAL but the full size tables make it much more enjoyable.

Another benefit for suites passengers is breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. The menu is the same as the MDR but the service is a bit better.

CC won't allow a direct mention of another website but if you combine HAL and FACTS google will take you there. On this site, look under Signature Class for pictures of SY7079 and under Vista class look for pictures of the aft wraps which will be the neptunes. Especially look at those on deck five.

With three people, you will greatly appreciate the extra space in a Neptune Suite.

We are very fond of the aft wrap Neptune Suites on Oosterdam and her sisters. We prefer those on deck five because they have absolutely huge balconies and are fully covered which can be very nice when there is rain and Alaska is known for that.

Other benefits include a full size table with four chairs on the aft balcony. Really nice since you can order room service off the MDR menus anytime the MDR is open. BTW, you can do this in any room on HAL but the full size tables make it much more enjoyable.

Another benefit for suites passengers is breakfast in the Pinnacle Grill. The menu is the same as the MDR but the service is a bit better.

CC won't allow a direct mention of another website but if you combine HAL and FACTS google will take you there. On this site, look under Signature Class for pictures of SY7079 and under Vista class look for pictures of the aft wraps which will be the neptunes. Especially look at those on deck five.

Thank you very much for the advise.

I am a newbie and really appreciate this boards where people so nice and helpful.

It is funny because the deck 5 is exactly what I have booked for now :))) The balcony is a little too big for us, we are going to be lost there - we are three really small women :) And if it was not Alaskan cruise I would have picked up other deck probably - to have more sun. The reason I picked deck 5 for Alaska that the balcony is covered - in case it is raining etc. So we still can enjoy the scenery, even if the weather is not that great.

Thanks to this boards I did find already the web-site you mentioned, it is great and very helpful. Especially for people like me who always have problems deciding :)

Like right now - I start thinking probably I would be better off going on Eurodam because the itinerary is considered to be better :loudcry: :D

That makes the 2 of the 7 days to be sea days.

On Oosterdam I've been figuring the Victoria day as mostly a sea day since it docks so late.

Interesting the wind confirmation for the forward facing "bump" balcony. The same thought occurred to me so we booked a rear facing bump hoping for less wind. Even sitting inside we will have a wider field of view even at the cost of a little loss of privacy.