Inexpensive Ideas for St Martin

Reds4life

Hello, we're visiting for the day in late May aboard MSC Divina. We had a few questions about possible inexpensive things to do on St Maarten. We plan on renting a car and hopefully exploring the island. A little about us, it's my wife and I and our daughters - 12 and 6 yrs old. We like the outdoors and water but don't want to pay nearly $100 each for seatrek or sailing. We would like to watch the planes at Maho but don't drink and don't want to go to Sunset Bar. Is there another spot to watch the planes from? We would try the beaches but really don't want to promote the idea to our young daughters that topless is ok. Please no judgmental comments. We like nature and the Loterie Farm hike is an option. Anything we're missing?

You can go to Guy's Driftwood bar at the other end of Maho or somewhere in between.

The more out of the way beaches are great when you have a car. They are also good places for women to work on getting rid of their tan lines.

The hike I went in at Loterie Farmwas too difficult for a six year old. Not sure if they have hikes that are easy enough for a small child.

A good hike for you may be to climb to Fort Louis right fromMarigit. I cheat and park near the top but it would be a good exercise from the bottom. You could take your time and rest on the bench in the shade when you get to where we park. Or you can park in the lot where we do and climb the last bit of stairs which takes about 5 minutes.

There is a beautiful carousel in the Carousel ice cream parlour that is a great place for a 6 year old for sure.

For a beach with no nudity Little Bay is your best option in my opinion.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! What is the distance of the hike from Loterie Farm to Pic Paradis? I know my 12 yr old is pretty determined to hike up there. I think we'll definitely like Fort Louis. Is the carousel nearby there?

Thanks so much for the suggestions! What is the distance of the hike from Loterie Farm to Pic Paradis? I know my 12 yr old is pretty determined to hike up there. I think we'll definitely like Fort Louis. Is the carousel nearby there?

It wasn't the distance that I remember it was climbing up and over boulders. It took us over 2 hours I believe. We really enjoyed the hike but the view from the top itself was not worthy of the effort.

The Carousel is on the main Rd from the airport through the Simpson Bay Area and it opens at 2 I believe.

We really like the view from the fort. Don't expect much of a fort though. That destination is all about the climb and the view and will make for a good discussion as to why the fort was built at that location and less about seeing the structure of the fort.

It wasn't the distance that I remember it was climbing up and over boulders. It took us over 2 hours I believe. We really enjoyed the hike but the view from the top itself was not worthy of the effort.

The Carousel is on the main Rd from the airport through the Simpson Bay Area and it opens at 2 I believe.

We really like the view from the fort. Don't expect much of a fort though. That destination is all about the climb and the view and will make for a good discussion as to why the fort was built at that location and less about seeing the structure of the fort.

Is there another high point in the Loterie Farm area that you would suggest that is less intense than the Pic Paradis hike? Thanks for your help!

Is there another high point in the Loterie Farm area that you would suggest that is less intense than the Pic Paradis hike? Thanks for your help!

Not that I know of. You can always hike for a set time ( say 30 min) and then turn around and head back. Also, Loterie farm upkeeps the path and hikes in isolated areas do not provide that.

When you are in Marigot be sure and take your daughters to Sarafina's Bakery for a pastry. Very yummy. A bit crowded but that is because it's so good.

I agree. It's not far from the set of stairs from the fort in Marigot. A great treat post climb. :)

<snip>

<snip>

Note that The Carousel is on the other side of the island from Marigot, and puts you into the bad traffic zone.

gary

Definitely go to Maho beach. It's an experience like no other. The beach is not very big, but the bars are at either end, so you can easily avoid them, and they're usually very busy anyway. I've never seen anyone topless there. Yet...

For more pictures and info check out my crew mender blog http://www.downtokokomo.wordpress.com

Have a fantastic time!

Note that The Carousel is on the other side of the island from Marigot, and puts you into the bad traffic zone.

gary

They want to visit Maho so as long as it's after 2 and in plenty of time before sail away the Carousel is a good stop post Maho.

• 5 weeks later...