NOLA Must Do's

hawkinsh

My family will stay in NOLA for a couple nights after our cruise. We will be there a Thur-Sat morning. We will be staying in the French Quarter and want to do a few things. My party will be me, wife, 3 kids (6-11 yo), mother law in wheelchair. So he is what I am asking help with.

1. I see that there is a trolley system. We would love to use this to get around exclusively. Is this a good idea. My mother law is in wheel chair, but can transfer to a seat. Will this be possible? Can we buy the day passes at our hotel the Whyndom French Quarter?

2. What are 2-3 must do things in the area (French Quarter)? I have heard of Jackson Square, the French Market and of course Cafe DuMonde, but what are a couple other things. We do not want to spend a fortune, so I would be interested in what things cost as well.

3. As you read above we will be at the Whyndom French Quarter, and so we will be looking for some places to eat. One thing that is a MUST DO for me is a good po'boy. We we also need a couple places for dinner that will not cost us our first morn child.

We are just a normal family from NE Arkansas. We want a fun NOLA experience, but can't afford to spend a fortune. After all, we will have just got off a cruise, so this is just a fun tag on for Spring Break. Non of us have ever been to NOLA.

Street car passes are $3 for 24 hrs. You can buy them from the machine at any stop or from the driver when you get on. I think that the machines only take cash.

Other than that, I enjoy playing in the revolving doors at Tiffany's. LOL

Street car passes are $3 for 24 hrs. You can buy them from the machine at any stop or from the driver when you get on. I think that the machines only take cash.

Other than that, I enjoy playing in the revolving doors at Tiffany's. LOL

:)Take a behinds the scene restaurant and food tour with wonderful man Naif Shahady.

We Thoroughly enjoyed his knowledge, personality, historical pride and great interest in his work . A retired history teacher who grew up in New Orleans. Sight see, Eat or eat/drink your way thru the quarter. 985 707 8754. We highly recommend him, Our personal group was with him a month ago! Ask him to show you the 18,000 + bottle wine cellar. nshahady@yahoo.com

Edited by ssb

Do lunch at fine dining restaurants. Experience Some of the better ones have great lunches . As example Arnauds has M-F lunch for 20.17 in honor of the year . 3 Course with 2 choices of each, and 25 cents Martinis with a limit of 3. Food and drink are the real deal.

Also Happy hour oysters at Desiree Bar!

I also heard the WW2 museum was excellent, I need to get back to NO, wish there were more interesting cruises leaving from here

Yes some in our group went on WW2 and enjoyed it., it is under construction and all not available .

We will be in New Orleans April 22 and I am curious about the trolley. Where does it go? Does anybody have some absolute do not miss sites? We will get there at 11 and will have the afternoon and evening to explore. Thank you for your help!

You don't have time to do much of anything. you can spend a few hours wandering around the French quarter and there's plenty to see there. if you want to ride the streetcar ride the st. Charles line out through the Garden District lots of neat old mansions out there and play places to eat along the way

We will be in New Orleans April 22 and I am curious about the trolley. Where does it go? Does anybody have some absolute do not miss sites? We will get there at 11 and will have the afternoon and evening to explore. Thank you for your help!

You can purchase an all day pass for $3. Machines are at every stop.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/tools/transportation/gettingaround/streetcars.html?utm_source=googleppc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plan-your-trip&gclid=Cj0KEQiAgJTGBRDLr5_az_Ouk44BEiQAIxaA4gElE3_g_ViIdil-k9LyeviKI4Ny2JDH6H2zO3b90cUaAhAU8P8HAQ

In our hotel there we tourist books that had coupons for a lot of these places.

We ate at Huck Finn's very casual but good. I ate a muffuletta there and it was amazing! My husband got a catfish po'boy and left no crumbs.

We also ate at Crescent City Brewhouse. They have a bread pudding with praline sauce... so delicious!

As for places to visit, we loved the

Aquarium. So much hands on things for the little ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can purchase an all day pass for $3. Machines are at every stop.

according to the NORTA they are not available at every stop. There are 4 Ticket vending machines on the Canal Streetcar line selling 1, 3 or 5 day passes. You can however buy them from the driver using exact change.

http://www.norta.com/Fares-Passes/Purchasing-Options-for-All-Fares-and-Passes

according to the NORTA they are not available at every stop. There are 4 Ticket vending machines on the Canal Streetcar line selling 1, 3 or 5 day passes. You can however buy them from the driver using exact change.

You can also buy them online. Download the app and it's very simple, just show the driver your phone.

LOL. Canal St is the only one I ever ride. We go to Harrah's and then ride up to Bourbon St. to eat, then ride back to Harrah's. Also beware using your GPS around Canal St. It's not cool to turn on to the street car tracks by mistake. Fortunately it was late and streetcars were all in bed. :D