Rotterdam - Windmills of Kinderdijk - Are Stairs Optional?

Considering

Windmills of Kinderdijk

Are the 50 stairs inside the windmill optional?

I'm confused and perhaps don't understand your question. There are 19 windmills at Kinderdijk. Do you mean the visitors windmill? If you want to climb to the 3rd floor to see how it works, the stairs are not optional but you aren't required to climb the stairs.

If I am remembering correctly, we entered rather small barge type of boat and sailed past the windmills and then back up a ramp or step from the boat. I know it was not too bad or hard because I was getting over a broken metatarsal at the time and had the "boot" on and a cane! It was a lovely canal ride. If you get the chance to see the windmills do so --great photo opportunity and just beautiful.

I'm confused and perhaps don't understand your question. There are 19 windmills at Kinderdijk. Do you mean the visitors windmill? If you want to climb to the 3rd floor to see how it works, the stairs are not optional but you aren't required to climb the stairs.

I'm talking about the excursion w/ 19 windmills. Heard there were 50 steps, probably at one of the windmills. And steps are pretty bad for me these days. Getting up is o.k., but getting down safely is the problem. I'd rather stand outside and take photos than risk getting hurt falling down the stairs. Do people go in and out the same entrance, so I can simply catch the tour when they're finished?

Edited by knittinggirl

I'm talking about the excursion w/ 19 windmills. Heard there were 50 steps, probably at one of the windmills. And steps are pretty bad for me these days. Getting up is o.k., but getting down safely is the problem. I'd rather stand outside and take photos than risk getting hurt falling down the stairs. Do people go in and out the same entrance, so I can simply catch the tour when they're finished?

I understand, my SIL has similar issues. There are quite a few stairs but I can't remember how many steps there are to reach the 3rd floor of the windmill (I didn't count). Yes, you can remain outside and take photos and then rejoin the tour when the remainder of the group have finished touring the windmill - it should be no problem whatsoever as they will exit through the same entrance.

Edited by dogs4fun