Luggage on small commuter jets

bflowngs

My wife and myself will be flying to FLL on a direct flight on DL in a 45 seat jet. We know through experience that sometimes your luggage doesn't make it on the plane due to space and weight restrictions.

Any advice on making sure our luggage makes it through??? I know we should pack light, and maybe pack some heavy stuff in carry ons.

Anyone lately have any issues with your luggage not showing up in time for your cruise????

We fly them all of the time and one of the best parts is we always get our luggage. The same cannot be said for the big brothers.

I try to keep an eye on the loading process as a precaution.

The big thing for you to know is many carry ons will NOT go on the plane with you. You will be required to check them at the plane and they will be returned to you when you reach your destination. The overheads are very small and most carryons will not fit. I always carry a soft sider when I am on the CRJ's or ERJ's. I can generally squash them down enough to satisfy the crew and put them under the seat.

Have a good flight!

I agree with carry-ons not being able to fit unless you have a soft bag. Most suitcase carry-ons will not fit in the overhead storage and the flight attendants will take it from you and put it below. You will get it back at the end of the flight (not at luggage pickup.) I never had a problem fitting my soft luggage bag in the overhead bins

We just flew American Eagle home from Miami to Pittsburgh after our 9/10/06 Freedom cruise, arriving at 3:40PM. We were missing one piece of checked luggage. There was too much weight on the plane, so they took off 5 suitcases at random. Ours was one of them. The luggage went on the next flight out, which was to NY Laguardia, then Pittsburgh, so it arrived about 9:10PM. They delivered it to my home via courier about 8:00PM the following evening. Not a problem since it was on the way home. Also, everything was intack, nothing was missing.

We are flying American Eagle from Pittsburgh to Miami on March 1, 2007, for our NCL Pearl Cruise. We are flying in the afternoon before. You can be sure I will be packing my carryon full of essential clothing, and one for my husband too. I know they do not fit in the overhead compartment, but they will check them at the gate, and return them to me as soon as we get off the plane. That way, I know I will have all the essentials! And still time enough for the others to get caught up if they don't make it on the flight!

At least when you bring a carry-on on the plane, you are assured of getting it back at the gate as you arrive. Good plan!!

I am happy to hear that other people have had good experiences with these aircraft. One of our pieces was missing on a small plane.....I suspect it was just too heavy.

At least when you bring a carry-on on the plane, you are assured of getting it back at the gate as you arrive. Good plan!!

It is NOT assured that your bag will be returned to you at the gate. Last week I was on a flight to Jacksonville and there was heavy rain upon landing. The gate-checked bags were taken to baggage claim, where they were put on the carousel like all the rest of the luggage. Often, if there is very inclement weather at arrival, the bags will take that route, especially at outlying stations. At hubs, carriers will strive to bring the bags to the gate, since many pax will be connecting and will not appreciate having to go through security again.

It is NOT assured that your bag will be returned to you at the gate. Last week I was on a flight to Jacksonville and there was heavy rain upon landing. The gate-checked bags were taken to baggage claim, where they were put on the carousel like all the rest of the luggage. Often, if there is very inclement weather at arrival, the bags will take that route, especially at outlying stations. At hubs, carriers will strive to bring the bags to the gate, since many pax will be connecting and will not appreciate having to go through security again.

Yes, I realize that the luggage may not be at the gate, but it will be at the airport, which is my main objective.

I think it is important to not have your bag tagged "heavy" as I would think they would take those off first if they reach the weight limit. I am now in the habit of weighing my bags before going to the airport to balance things out. Saves time and money when checking in!!

A couple of times to ensure that my bags made it on the RJ, I talked to the agent to find out the particulars of the flight (e.g. is it full, light, etc.). If I found it full I would ask if I could have a "priority" tag placed on my bag to make sure it got put on the plane. Both times the agent had no problem in doing that and both times my bag made it on the same flight.

So if you are concerned about this, you may want to have the same thing done.

My wife and myself will be flying to FLL on a direct flight on DL in a 45 seat jet. We know through experience that sometimes your luggage doesn't make it on the plane due to space and weight restrictions.

Any advice on making sure our luggage makes it through??? I know we should pack light, and maybe pack some heavy stuff in carry ons.

Anyone lately have any issues with your luggage not showing up in time for your cruise????

I flown in Lear 35s before. The luggage compartment is behind the two rear seats. The way to access this area is by folding the rear seats and placing your luggage there. There is a strap to secure the cargo or luggage. The capacity for the cargo storage in the Lear 45 is slightly larger than the one in the Lear 35. It is a mere 1.4 cubic meters. From what I can see the cargo area configuration on the Lear 45 has changed in order to gain access to the lavatory. Here is a picture of the cargo area.

Lear45%20sn218_storage_200px.jpglear_45_1.jpg

Archived