Are there tour van available at the pier in PV

Sunniedays

Yes tours are offered by van with certified guides right on the dock. They speak english very well. Talk to them about what you are interested to see or let them make you a nice itinary. If you have your own small group (often up to 10 persons depending type of van), they charge as far as I know about US$ 40,- per hour for that group - not per person.

If your group is smaller you might join another small group of course.

The drive south to e.g. the botanical garden or Mismaloya is very nice. But also the old centre of Puerto Vallarta is great, incl. the Malecon with lkots of art.

I would just add that if your goal is to simply go into Centro (downtown) and walk along the Malecon (where you can shop, eat, people watch, etc) then no need to spend the big bucks on one of the taxis or vans inside the port (they charge more then the taxis on the street). Simply walk out of the port up to the main street (across from SAms and Walmart) and either grab yellow taxis (less then $7 (total cost) to get you downtown) or hop on any bus that has "Centro" written on the window (this costs 6.5 pesos or about 50cents).

Once in Centro and at the Malecon, a van or taxi is worthless as this is a pedestrian walkway. I recently posted here about our port day (last month) in PV where we took our 6 tablemates on a tour of PV. The total cost of that tour was $1 per person plus what they spent on drinks and food. What they got was a walking tour of the Malecon (including my commentary on the well known art works), browsing some local shops including one with great Huichol art (unique to this part of Mexico), a beer break with ocean front beach table at the Sea Monkey where beer and Margaritas are only $1, and finally to a beach club where we enjoyed some lunch (and more cheap beer) and swam in the very warm ocean (Bandaras Bay). One of our tablemates did remark that were overcharged at the $1 tour price (the cost of using the bus round trip from the port) but that was just all the beer/Margaritas talking :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I would just add that if your goal is to simply go into Centro (downtown) and walk along the Malecon (where you can shop, eat, people watch, etc) then no need to spend the big bucks on one of the taxis or vans inside the port (they charge more then the taxis on the street). Simply walk out of the port up to the main street (across from SAms and Walmart) and either grab yellow taxis (less then $7 (total cost) to get you downtown) or hop on any bus that has "Centro" written on the window (this costs 6.5 pesos or about 50cents).

Once in Centro and at the Malecon, a van or taxi is worthless as this is a pedestrian walkway. I recently posted here about our port day (last month) in PV where we took our 6 tablemates on a tour of PV. The total cost of that tour was $1 per person plus what they spent on drinks and food. What they got was a walking tour of the Malecon (including my commentary on the well known art works), browsing some local shops including one with great Huichol art (unique to this part of Mexico), a beer break with ocean front beach table at the Sea Monkey where beer and Margaritas are only $1, and finally to a beach club where we enjoyed some lunch (and more cheap beer) and swam in the very warm ocean (Bandaras Bay). One of our tablemates did remark that were overcharged at the $1 tour price (the cost of using the bus round trip from the port) but that was just all the beer/Margaritas talking :)

Hank

Sounds like a great way to spend the day. Do you get the bus back to the port in the same area as you get off?

@hlitner

Thanks for the information, Hank. I will be in PV New Year's day and wanted something easy. What bus should I look for to get back to the pier?

Thanks

Ron

The bus to go back to the pier will say Walmart in the window and/or Sam's Club. Ask the driver if he is going to the pier.

Wendy

• 5 weeks later...

@hlitner

What beach club did you end up at? We are in PV fro 7am-3pm and have families with young kids. We don't want to commit to an all day excursion, but would like to be able to get off the boat and spend some time on the beach.

My kids are a little older, so walking Malecon and ending at the beach sounds great... but for some of my fellow travelers, they may just want to hit the beach for a few hours.

What's the closest option? Thanks!