Maps

TravelBugM

Are maps provided of the various ports visited? Or should we come prepared with our own?
Almost invariably someone from tourist information is brought on board the ship to provide maps and information. Sometimes it's done at an information booth or kiosk on the pier.

For most ports, the ship provides a 4 page visitor's guide which includes a map that highlights key points of interest. If you plan to explore on your own, a more detailed map is essential.

The maps the ship has are basic but as soon as the port representative bo adds they have great maps.

But be there as soon as they dock. It gets crowded. You can also ask questions about the port.

Where are you visiting? We did the Baltics. It was amazing. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

We are sailing round trip Rome, with stops in Sorrento, various Sicily stops, Malta and Corsica. I've started gathering my own maps as I like to be well prepared.

Speaking of maps......

I just happened to read about this on a Rick Steves' forum this morning.

CityMaps2Go, the premium offline map & travel app. CityMaps2Go is available for FREE, only today (regular $2.99)!

This link will take you straight to the app store, where you can get CityMaps2Go including unlimited map downloads: http://res.ulmon.com/citymaps2goforward.html

If you are going to Messina we shared an 8 seater bus that was organised by one of the guys on our ship who got people together though the Roll Call (HAL which we went on after Azamara). It was fantastic. It's through Sicily with Mario. He has various tours.

In Malta we docked in Valletta. We were going to get a taxi to take us to Mdina but were approache by a lady (you'll see them as soon as you get off). They offered a taxi for 3 hours for 60Euro. There were 4 of us so very cheap. They say it's not a tour but our driver was great. Took us to a few places and an amazing lookout. The best views I've seen (and I've travelled A LOT). We went to Mdina where he left us to roam around (you could really spend a whole day there). Then to the Mosta Rotunda and Rabat. At the end he dropped us at the upper Barrack Gardens and we looked around Valletta then walked back to the ship (600m). Get the lift down from the gardens. I really want to go back to Malta with my scuba gear.

I would love to hire a boat and sail all around the Adriatic.

Absolutely loved the Adriatic cruise (from Rome to Venice) Croatia is amazing too.

Edited by sayaguru