Celebrity and Solo Question for Lois and others

Rina155

Lois,

I know you sail Celebrity as a solo and are a veteran with them. I am embarking on my first solo cruise with them to Alaska this year. Do they have any single events. (I am not looking to meet anyone) Just would like to get out of my comfort zone. I usually travel with my son and he will be along on this cruise with me, however at age 19 he will be out on his own, which means I too will be on my own.

Thank for any insights you may have!

Lois,

I know you sail Celebrity as a solo and are a veteran with them. I am embarking on my first solo cruise with them to Alaska this year. Do they have any single events. (I am not looking to meet anyone) Just would like to get out of my comfort zone. I usually travel with my son and he will be along on this cruise with me, however at age 19 he will be out on his own, which means I too will be on my own.

Thank for any insights you may have!

Hi Nancy,:) I have never attended any singles events and to be honest

with you, I don't even recall them having any. I could be wrong of

course but it is not something that I look for when cruising so even

if something is offered I doubt I would go.

Meeting folks who are friendly is more important to me than their

maritial status......I never "look to meet anyone" either and I always

end up having a wonderful time:)

I would say to check your roll call.....it can be a very nice way to

meet "other people".....whoever they are.....couples, families, etc.

I have met some lovely folks over the years from previous roll calls

and are friends with them to this day:D

Edited by Lois R

Thank you Lois!

I am just little nervous here. I know once on board I will have a wonderful time and will find many things to do or not do as I want to. I think eating in Blu will be a wonderful experience and hoping to meet a lot of new friends.

Our roll call is not very active, however the other two couples on it seem very nice.

Thank you again for responding, I appreciate it.

Thank you Lois!

I am just little nervous here. I know once on board I will have a wonderful time and will find many things to do or not do as I want to. I think eating in Blu will be a wonderful experience and hoping to meet a lot of new friends.

Our roll call is not very active, however the other two couples on it seem very nice.

Thank you again for responding, I appreciate it.

No problem.:) So you and your son are in AQ? I haven't been in there

on an M class ship but I have been there on an S class. It is much

smaller than the main dining room. The tables are also closer together

so hopefully you will be seated next to friendly folks who enjoy a bit

of conversation:)

I have been to Alaska 3 times and hoping to go back next summer(2015)

Hope you have a great time:D

No problem.:) So you and your son are in AQ? I haven't been in there

on an M class ship but I have been there on an S class. It is much

smaller than the main dining room. The tables are also closer together

so hopefully you will be seated next to friendly folks who enjoy a bit

of conversation:)

I have been to Alaska 3 times and hoping to go back next summer(2015)

Hope you have a great time:D

Yes we were originally in an aft facing C1 when I saw 1140 open up so debated for about a week, and saw it was still open and was able to obtain that cabin at no extra cost, due to a senior discount going on at the time.

This will be my first time in an AQ cabin and hoping I don't get hooked as I will not always be able to afford it! My next cruise I plan to book on board is a Panama Canal one! Would really like an aft facing again. I really enjoy the stern cabins. :D

Yes we were originally in an aft facing C1 when I saw 1140 open up so debated for about a week, and saw it was still open and was able to obtain that cabin at no extra cost, due to a senior discount going on at the time.

This will be my first time in an AQ cabin and hoping I don't get hooked as I will not always be able to afford it! My next cruise I plan to book on board is a Panama Canal one! Would really like an aft facing again. I really enjoy the stern cabins. :D

During the day are you 2 doing any excursions together? If you are going

to Ketchikan I will recommend Island Wings. It is a floatplane tour and

is fabulous:D....the owner is the pilot. Her name is Michelle and it is

one of the best tours I have ever taken!

During the day are you 2 doing any excursions together? If you are going

to Ketchikan I will recommend Island Wings. It is a floatplane tour and

is fabulous:D....the owner is the pilot. Her name is Michelle and it is

one of the best tours I have ever taken!

We have a float plane Taku Lodge scheduled for Juneau late afternoon, other than that pretty much on our own. I had planned to rent a bicycle in Ketchikan and see the town and outskirts that way. I have heard about Island Wings, may look into it, however the trip in Jeneau is our big excursion for the week.

Planning on the Railroad up to Anchorage on debarkation in the evening to spend day in Seward. Trying to fid things there to see as have never spent the day there. Last time in Alaska went straight t Anchorage instead.

Ahhh....ok, so you have been before and know about the places:)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:D (and your son as well;)).

Ahhh....ok, so you have been before and know about the places:)

I hope you have a wonderful cruise:D (and your son as well;)).

Yes, just this time will be pretty much on my own. Will be a good "test run" for next year when I will be fully on my own... :eek:

Yes, just this time will be pretty much on my own. Will be a good "test run" for next year when I will be fully on my own... :eek:

Awwww....it will be a piece of cake:D

Nina, Ask Celebrity to book you a singles table for dinner in MDR . Your cruise agent or line if you booked directly will handle it.Do it now before all tables are assigned. Always an interesting group of singles on X.

Nina, Ask Celebrity to book you a singles table for dinner in MDR . Your cruise agent or line if you booked directly will handle it.Do it now before all tables are assigned. Always an interesting group of singles on X.

Thank you, I will call and ask about this, but I may be eating most of my meals in Blu.

I love CC as everyone is always helpful and have great ideas.

:)

Thank you, I will call and ask about this, but I may be eating most of my meals in Blu.

I love CC as everyone is always helpful and have great ideas.

Hi Nancy, since you are dining in Blu? I seriously doubt they will

have a "singles table"......the set up in there is like a regular restaurant.

You and your son will have dinner together? If so, they will probably

put you at 2 top, possibly a 4 top. I have eaten in there twice....there

are no "singles tables".

Hi Nancy, since you are dining in Blu? I seriously doubt they will

have a "singles table"......the set up in there is like a regular restaurant.

You and your son will have dinner together? If so, they will probably

put you at 2 top, possibly a 4 top. I have eaten in there twice....there

are no "singles tables".

My son may eat a few meals with me, but I foresee him eating much on his own. Will see what happens. I am hoping to meet other friendly people who enjoy conversation about their day at dinner, perhaps a table close to mine.

I plan to go in with an optimistic attitude and see what happens. I will enjoy no matter what, because I plan to. I have learned that from stalking the boards and listening from those of you who cruise and travel solo often. Thanks again!

My son may eat a few meals with me, but I foresee him eating much on his own. Will see what happens. I am hoping to meet other friendly people who enjoy conversation about their day at dinner, perhaps a table close to mine.

I plan to go in with an optimistic attitude and see what happens. I will enjoy no matter what, because I plan to. I have learned that from stalking the boards and listening from those of you who cruise and travel solo often. Thanks again!

Nancy, I am sure you will have a great time:).....after all, you have

cruised before:D. I just wanted you to know Blu has a different setup

than the main dining room;)

Nancy, I am sure you will have a great time:).....after all, you have

cruised before:D. I just wanted you to know Blu has a different setup

than the main dining room;)

Thanks Lois! :)

You have cruised AQ before what did you think of the dining experience in Blu?

Thanks Lois! :)

You have cruised AQ before what did you think of the dining experience in Blu?

I had one very good experience and 1 not so good.

Last year I went on Sihlouette and there was a group on the roll

call who all had cabins in Aqua and I ate with them most evenings

and we also had breakfast together on a few different mornings.

The first time I was in AQ was back in 2010....too long of a story

to post on here but it was not the best experience to be honest.

Out of 7 nights? I only ended up having dinner there 3 nights

(I think)....it has been 4 years so it might have been 4 nights but I

just remember things were supposed to have been different than

they turned out.

Hopefully you will have a great time though.:)

I had one very good experience and 1 not so good.

Last year I went on Sihlouette and there was a group on the roll

call who all had cabins in Aqua and I ate with them most evenings

and we also had breakfast together on a few different mornings.

The first time I was in AQ was back in 2010....too long of a story

to post on here but it was not the best experience to be honest.

Out of 7 nights? I only ended up having dinner there 3 nights

(I think)....it has been 4 years so it might have been 4 nights but I

just remember things were supposed to have been different than

they turned out.

Hopefully you will have a great time though.:)

Thank you. Hoping I have a good experience like your last one. There are two other couples on my roll call who are also in AQ and appear outgoing so hopefully that will help.

I have another quick question. I am thinking about planning my next cruise to Panama, but on my bucket list is a Barcelona area cruise and a Norwegian Fjords cruise. When traveling out of the country and I would like to see some of the area pre cruise... how do you do that without the fear of being a "target' and staying safe.

Thank you. Hoping I have a good experience like your last one. There are two other couples on my roll call who are also in AQ and appear outgoing so hopefully that will help.

I have another quick question. I am thinking about planning my next cruise to Panama, but on my bucket list is a Barcelona area cruise and a Norwegian Fjords cruise. When traveling out of the country and I would like to see some of the area pre cruise... how do you do that without the fear of being a "target' and staying safe.

I went on my first cruise to the MED back in May 2012....Best cruise

I have ever taken (by far).....it was just fantastic:D. I want to go

back but prices are just too high:eek:....so there is no fear for me.

In other words being a "target" doesn't come into play for me. If

it did? Then you let those bozos win.....and besides that? There

are just so many places I still want to visit!:)....I was actually hoping

I would be going back this year but it just didn't work out. Maybe

2015........;)

I went on my first cruise to the MED back in May 2012....Best cruise

I have ever taken (by far).....it was just fantastic:D. I want to go

back but prices are just too high:eek:....so there is no fear for me.

In other words being a "target" doesn't come into play for me. If

it did? Then you let those bozos win.....and besides that? There

are just so many places I still want to visit!:)....I was actually hoping

I would be going back this year but it just didn't work out. Maybe

2015........;)

That relieves my mind, thank you. I look forward to planning the Mediterranean Cruise in the next two years!

Hi Nancy, hope you don't mind my butting in here, but I might be able to give some insight on traveling solo outside of the Caribbean or Alaska. I've been very fortunate to have cruised all over the world as a solo, many times going to the embarkation city a few days early. My one rule of thumb is to stay at the cruise line hotel, which can give you an element of security. There's always a representative of some kind at the hotel to give you guidance. If the cruise line doesn't sponsor a hotel, then get one in the city center---one that has a lot of lively traffic. Never stay at an out of the way place, as a solo. For instance, I always made sure to stay in chain hotels, if possible, in places like Copenhagen, Stockholm, Sydney, Hong Kong and Cape Town. Those hotels are usually located in the busy city centers where you can get public transportation to local sites, or where sites are within easy walking distance. When in Copenhagen, I stay at the Marriott that's right across the street from the famous Tivoli Gardens.

Always pre plan any tours and research the reputation of any company you use. I always use my travel agent for this as he had a myriad of contacts world wide. You can also use your roll call to see if you can join any tours made by someone in that group.

Because I'm also disabled as well as a solo, I almost always use private tours when in ports. Knock on wood, I've always had good experiences.

I highly recommend the Norwegian Fjords cruise, especially if it's combined with the North Cape. Out of all my cruises, that one is in my top three.

Good Luck and happy cruising.

Hi Darcie:) your views are always welcomed! And very good to see

you again:D.....I have missed you on here (and over on the BB too)!

Darcie:

Thank you for your words of advice and insight. :o So very helpful to me! I am happy to hear of others ventures and ways of cruising as a single female. So looking forward to not limiting myself in travels as I truly enjoy traveling. Have always had my son as my travel buddy, but now he is to the age he is off venturing on his own and this trip to Alaska will probably be my last trip with him and off to my own adventures!

Hi Lois. I've pretty much stopped posting on Celebrity's board due to the big mouth bullies that have taken over to some extent. I just post here, on the Ask a Question and the Disabled travelers boards. There are enough people on Celebrity's board to handle the questions.

Do you have any cruises planned? I don't for this year, but I have three for 2015, all on Equinox. The one I'm looking forward to is a B2B that starts with the trans-Atlantic in October and then does the first Caribbean after that----21 days in all.

Hope you're having a nice Memorial Day.

Hi Lois. I've pretty much stopped posting on Celebrity's board due to the big mouth bullies that have taken over to some extent. I just post here, on the Ask a Question and the Disabled travelers boards. There are enough people on Celebrity's board to handle the questions.

Do you have any cruises planned? I don't for this year, but I have three for 2015, all on Equinox. The one I'm looking forward to is a B2B that starts with the trans-Atlantic in October and then does the first Caribbean after that----21 days in all.

Hope you're having a nice Memorial Day.

Hi Darcie,:) I have Reflection booked for November but nothing booked

for next year:eek:

You know some of us would still welcome you back to the boards.:)

I don't get into many of the threads anymore either. I try to answer

questions here and there but as for getting into that ------ match?

No thanks.....I don't do that.

Happy Holiday to you as well:)