Using Ultimate Rewards to book flights?

Bowie MeMe

Have a combination of United MileagePlusExplorer Visa and Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa credit cards. Both cards have 2x points for travel and both offer 25% off number of points if you book through the credit card concierge (Ultimate Rewards desk) for flights. I can book through credit card or on United.com.

1. Is this a 3rd party ticket or not (would use the United card with Sapphire points dumped 1:1)? I prefer tickets directly from airline but what are the drawbacks (same as using a travel agency like Expedia or Choice Air?)

2. More award tickets available through the credit card booking than I see on-line at United.com? Can you still ask for the super saver awards rate if it shows available.

3. Any warnings or pointers on making the most of my points? -- sign up bonus newbie here.

Right now working on WAS to Jakarta or Yogyakarta Indonesia (Bali reasonable to DPS also) return Tokyo to Washington DC.

Sorry, I don't know all the answers to your questions but I booked our flights to Europe on Ultimate Rewards using credit card points from our Chase Sapphire Preferred card. I didn't have any issues booking and I was even able to select our seats. I've also called Air France a couple times with questions & they were super helpful. I've booked numerous things through Ultimate Rewards and haven't ever had any issues (hotels, flights).

I have both cards also, but I have never tried to book through Ultimate Rewards because I've been able to use the miles effectively dealing directly with United by simply transferring the Sapphire points to the United FF account.

The only real answer is to call and ask how it works.

My guess is that it is a third party because the Sapphire points can be transferred to a number of different airline programs. It is my understanding that the points transfer to any airline on a one to one basis. Otherwise, points and FF miles do not necessarily have the same value.

If, indeed, point and miles are the same, I'd expect to see a Saver Award ticket on United for 25% fewer miles through the Ultimate Rewards program. Somehow, I don't see that happening.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.

I have both cards also, but I have never tried to book through Ultimate Rewards because I've been able to use the miles effectively dealing directly with United by simply transferring the Sapphire points to the United FF account.

The only real answer is to call and ask how it works.

My guess is that it is a third party because the Sapphire points can be transferred to a number of different airline programs. It is my understanding that the points transfer to any airline on a one to one basis. Otherwise, points and FF miles do not necessarily have the same value.

If, indeed, point and miles are the same, I'd expect to see a Saver Award ticket on United for 25% fewer miles through the Ultimate Rewards program. Somehow, I don't see that happening.

I'd be interested to know what you find out.

I think the OP is a little confused with the two programs. The United credit card only gives United miles and the Chase Sapphire only gives Ultimate Rewards points. You can book with UR for flights on various airlines or you can transfer the points to an airline and book directly with the airline. Most of the time transferring UR points to an airline is a better value.

Thanks it is beginning to be a little clearer. If it works the way I think it might (insert crossed fingers here) I hope to indeed transfer points to United account in husband's name and then he will buy both tickets with points or points and money and my name will be on one reservation. Again so little experience I don't know what is the "cheapest" way to handle all the points for tickets -- DH is primary on United and I have the Sapphire account and we both are secondary on each other's accounts. See this is your brain training for this period of time bringing all the different accounts to bear and deciding which is the best to use -- categories, rewards, points and fees AHHHHHH!!??!!

Frugal Travel if you have tips please share. It will all be good because I use credit cards anyway might as well get some benefit from them. In the good old days the decision was a toaster at that bank or a set of steak knives at the other!:D

I did some looking around on FlyerTalk yesterday because I am interested in the same question.

The consensus seems to be that the best value comes from transferring the UR points to a FF account and using the miles for international rather than domestic travel.

Here is an example I found: One person reported getting a round trip domestic ticket for $368 at a cost of 29,999 UR points. This reflects the 25% discount touted by Ultimate Rewards, making the points worth a little over a penny each.

On the other hand, last year I transferred my UR points to my husband's United FF account, and we were each able to get a Business Class round trip to Europe for 100,000 miles per person.This was before the requirement changed, but even at today's rate of 115,00 miles for the same trip, it still offers a better value than purchasing with UR points. At $3800 it made the miles worth $0.038 and at today's rate worth $0.033, triple the value of UR points on a domestic trip. Even if you had to book a Star Alliance partner ticket at 140,000 miles, the value is still double.

I won't say it was easy. Diligence and flexibility are required; but if United flies where you want to go, it can be done.

Edited by Babr
wording

Thanks Babr That is the plan. The cruise in November plus a little has triggered enough to make 95K points which will go a long way to getting us to Asia in Feb. especially if can get super saver awards. There are at least 18 flights or city combinations that could work so the chances of award trips seems pretty good. Killer flight -- up to 38 hours door to door and all for $1,300 but I want some long layovers for hotels and BC OH YES! but economy plus is probably more likely.

Right now working on WAS to Jakarta or Yogyakarta Indonesia (Bali reasonable to DPS also) return Tokyo to Washington DC.

If you are looking for economy class tickets then you will be okay, but finding two premium cabin tickets to Southeast Asia (DPS) will be rough. I am looking for a single premium cabin ticket and have yet to be able to piece together a suitable outbound flight. You may want to look at some of the non-obvious connections on Eva Air, China Air, etc. Singapore Airlines has blocked UAL FF from booking almost any premium cabin seats on SQ.