Immigration Question

ChattTenn

Our cruise begins in Auckland and ends in Sydney. We are thinking about Air New Zealand - LAX/Auckland and Sydney/Auckland/LAX. On the return home trip, will we have to go through immigration twice one with Australia and one with New Zealand? What is the departure tax for both countries?.

The up comming cruise will be our first time in that region and looking forward to the cruise.

Thank you for the information.

Our cruise begins in Auckland and ends in Sydney. We are thinking about Air New Zealand - LAX/Auckland and Sydney/Auckland/LAX. On the return home trip, will we have to go through immigration twice one with Australia and one with New Zealand? What is the departure tax for both countries?.

The up comming cruise will be our first time in that region and looking forward to the cruise.

Thank you for the information.

Yes, you will need to go through Immigration in both Aus and NZ, arriving and departing.

The Passenger Movement Charge (departure tax) is included in the price of your ticket in both Aus. and NZ.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page6068.asp

http://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/AirportInformation/Departure-Tax.aspx

Yes, you will need to go through Immigration in both Aus and NZ, arriving and departing.

The Passenger Movement Charge (departure tax) is included in the price of your ticket in both Aus. and NZ.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page6068.asp

http://www.aucklandairport.co.nz/AirportInformation/Departure-Tax.aspx

Thank you.

As I understand the OP's question, the return flight to the USA is SYD-AKL-LAX.

If this journey is all with Air New Zealand, on one flight number, the passengers will stay within the the secure transit area (airside) and will not need to go through immigration in NZ. Luggage can be checked through to LAX from Sydney.

The same applies even if changing to a connecting flight in Auckland, as long as the journey is all on one ticket.

If this journey is all with Air New Zealand, on one flight number, the passengers will stay within the the secure transit area (airside) and will not need to go through immigration in NZ. Luggage can be checked through to LAX from Sydney.

The same applies even if changing to a connecting flight in Auckland, as long as the journey is all on one ticket.

It's quite a few years since I've transited through Auckland so I'm not totally sure of the procedure there but many international airlines require you to go through security screening again when moving from the arrivals area to the departures area for the ongoing flight. However there should be no need to go though immigration in NZ on the SYD-AKL-LAX flights.

Yes, you are right. I answered the question in a hurry and should have put departing Australia.

It's quite a few years since I've transited through Auckland so I'm not totally sure of the procedure there but many international airlines require you to go through security screening again when moving from the arrivals area to the departures area for the ongoing flight. However there should be no need to go though immigration in NZ on the SYD-AKL-LAX flights.

I fly Melbourne-Auckland-San Francisco all the time. You will have to exit Australia, but then you are considered an international transit passenger in New Zealand. You will have to clear TSA-style security twice in New Zealand - once after arrival, and once before heading to the gate for US flight, but you will not clear New Zealand immigration during the Sydney-Auckland-Los Angeles journey.

Obviously, you will clear New Zealand immigration on arrival for the cruise, and Australian immigration at the end of the cruise, even if you are only going from the pier to the airport, so do make sure you have your Australian Tourist visa arranged -- whether it's an electronic ETA or a traditional visa.

Edited to add: I would caution you to be extremely careful about what you bring into Australia and declare everything. The situation with Johnny Depp's dogs has caused the focus to shift toward tighter quarantine enforcement.

Edited by ellieanne