Walking from Port to Queens Staircase in Nassau

cloudninecat

We did the Frommer's tour (link in Medtech2's post) last October and it was not a problem for these two 61 year olds! For me, the best thing is poking around the old library (housed in a former jail). The librarians are happy to have visitors and if the upstairs is open, go up there and walk out for some excellent views of the area.

Also, after you get off the ship, you will go through a building which has a table operated by the tourism office with maps and information. The woman manning the table was quite helpful and the map we picked up was a useful aid for the Frommer's tour.

Nassau has a reputation for pick-pocketing so watch your bags in the city.

Know what you intend to do before you get to the gate to the port. Just outside the port gate is literally swarming with tour guides and/or taxi drivers all aggressively hawking their services. The last time I was there it was very chaotic until I got a block or so away from the port.

Not trying to be a wet blanket ... but it's something to be aware of.

I think there may be more to do in Nassau then people let on.

Exactly! Maybe it is a bit of making lemonade out of lemons, but for anyone who wants to find something to do, there are enough options to be more than satisfied. We've probably been there more than a dozen times, so we mix up what we do. One time might be the staircase, one time fish fry, one time Junkanoo and an occasional splurge with a day pass.

Exactly! Maybe it is a bit of making lemonade out of lemons, but for anyone who wants to find something to do, there are enough options to be more than satisfied. We've probably been there more than a dozen times, so we mix up what we do. One time might be the staircase, one time fish fry, one time Junkanoo and an occasional splurge with a day pass.

What is the Fish Fry? Is it the same as here, just where you can go to get fried fish? Wondering because I've heard it mentioned before as if it were a destination rather than just a place to get food.