Anchorage to Whittier rail service

JP96

Hello,

We are flying into Anchorage a day or two early in July and would like to take the train to Whittier on the morning of our Princess cruise. Princess will now only book the rail if you do it in combination with a hotel stay. The price is much higher than booking separately. I would like to do the railroad on our own. My questions are:

Will Princess still take our baggage at the train station and transport to our ship even though we did not buy the rail from them? Old posts seem to indicate this is the case.

Will we have reserved seats in the non-Princess cars or is it first come first served?

Can we check into our cabin and then get off the ship to do an excursion or wander around the port?

Are there excursions that others have done that allow time to get to the cruise ship before the sailing?

Thanks!

Hello,

We are flying into Anchorage a day or two early in July and would like to take the train to Whittier on the morning of our Princess cruise. Princess will now only book the rail if you do it in combination with a hotel stay. The price is much higher than booking separately. I would like to do the railroad on our own. My questions are:

Will Princess still take our baggage at the train station and transport to our ship even though we did not buy the rail from them? Old posts seem to indicate this is the case.

Will we have reserved seats in the non-Princess cars or is it first come first served?

Can we check into our cabin and then get off the ship to do an excursion or wander around the port?

Are there excursions that others have done that allow time to get to the cruise ship before the sailing?

Thanks!

Check the Alaska railway site for this information. You probably can buy reserved seats on the train yourself.

Here is a link to the Alaska Railway.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/travel/Transit/Schedules/tabid/98/Default.aspx

You can make your own train arrangements to get to Whittier. The train leaves at 9:45am and arrives shortly after noon. The trips are coordinated for the cruises that go into Prince William Sound and visit the glaciers of Blackstone Bay or Barry Arm/Harriman Fjord.

You can check these out at http://www.26glaciers.com or http://www.majormarine.com Both companies are excellent and pretty much follow identical routes.

You will return by 5pm which is a perfect time to board the ship. I highly recommend these since there isn't much to do in Whittier. The picture of the glacier below was taken in Blackstone Bay.

Edited by Chenega

You can book this train independent as mentioned. Seats are assigned and a separate car. Your bags need to be properly tagged and will be transferred direct to the cruise ship. IF they continue with the transfer service they have done in the past.

You will not have time to get on and off the ship, IF you take one of the EXCELLENT Prince William Sound tours. These are extremely worthwhile, and grossly superior to anything seen from your cruise ship.

I've taken the train from Anchorage to Whittier without booking any hotels or transfers through Princess.

Book your own tickets as soon as possible. On the morning of your cruise departure, take a cab from your hotel to the RR Station with your luggage tagged for the ship. There will be a large luggage drop area where you will check in the luggage - it's transported via truck later in the morning and next time you see it, the pieces will be in your cabin.

The train station has some interesting rail history and memorabilia, including a small gift shop. When called, board the train and enjoy the ride. have your camera ready as you might see a few animals, though the approach to the tunnel is amazing - we lucked out and were in the first rail car, front seats. Once you exit the tunnel, your ship will be in view. The train drops you in Whittier, across the street from the ship.

Enjoy!

Darcy

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the Prince William sound tours would be a repeat of what we would see from the cruise. I imagine the smaller boats get closer up to any glaciers. Can any wildlife be seen on these boats?

Thank you! I see that Alaska Railroad sells a package including the rail and the day cruise together. Did you book this way or buy the rail and day cruise separately? Does the day cruise pick you up at the rail station in Whittier?

Thank you! I see that Alaska Railroad sells a package including the rail and the day cruise together. Did you book this way or buy the rail and day cruise separately? Does the day cruise pick you up at the rail station in Whittier?

The train station , cruise pier and excursion dock are about 100ft apart from each other . Flat easy walk.

It is a very short walk to where you board the day cruises; the cruise ship terminal is right next door.

You will see much more from these day cruises than anything you will see from a cruise ship. Wildlife sightings are never guaranteed but sea otters are usually abundant and last summer there were lots of humpback whales.

The real treat is getting close to active glaciers that often calve right in front of you.

Either company is good and you won't be disappointed.

Thank you. I wasn't sure if the Prince William sound tours would be a repeat of what we would see from the cruise. I imagine the smaller boats get closer up to any glaciers. Can any wildlife be seen on these boats?

You absolutely have the wrong idea with any repeat. A Pws boat tour is grossly superior. Actually this is going to be true for anything seen from the cruise ship. Tours are always going to be more extensive and better. I did the PWS boat tours 3 times last year, I always prefer Surprise Glacier and that tour, you just about always see sea otters. There is always some wildlife sightings on these tours, but look at it more as an "extra" compared to the main event of getting close up to glaciers. This is a "must" do for me, any time I am in Whittier, I'm on a boat. :) My preference- determine yours.

For bookings, I suggest comparing prices and tours, with any combo options. There are different tours and vendors involved. The ship contractor is Phillips who uses larger boats. These can also sell out with large numbers. Major Marine, can sell out as well, so either vendor don't expect to be in your private yacht. :) In my opinion, the boats are never overloaded /crowded or uncomfortable. Great viewing no matter which tour or company you go with.

I just realized that the northbound princess voyages get about 13 hours in Juneau whereas southbound get 9.5. Would you say that the PWS cruises taken before leaving on a Southbound journey make up for this difference? We are booked on a southbound Coral and I'm ready to switch it. Juneau has so much to offer, and I would love the extra time there. I'm not sure that I would want to do the PWS cruise after taking a northbound cruise though. I would only do it going south. Opinions?

I just realized that the northbound princess voyages get about 13 hours in Juneau whereas southbound get 9.5. Would you say that the PWS cruises taken before leaving on a Southbound journey make up for this difference? We are booked on a southbound Coral and I'm ready to switch it. Juneau has so much to offer, and I would love the extra time there. I'm not sure that I would want to do the PWS cruise after taking a northbound cruise though. I would only do it going south. Opinions?

There is no "making up for differences". Either "could" be an excellent choice. It depends on you.

With your current cruise choice, are there touring choices you had to eliminate in Juneau due to time? Do you have your plans in place and had wanted to do more?

Not sure what the one direction Prince William Sound choice is about? Either, it's of interest and you wish to take it or not?

Questions to ask yourself, that may point you in your direction for a good choice.

If we did the northbound, I do not think we would stick around in Whittier after the cruise to do the PWS cruise. We may be too tired, and I'm not sure how our bags would be stored, etc.. We would probably head right up to Anchorage. We are not staying extra days to go to Denali. I guess I see the Southbound cruise as a chance to do the PWS cruise that day before the ship departs, or perhaps some fishing.

In Juneau, we would love to do the heli-glacier dog sledding, and that means we can't also do whale watching, or most other things if the boat departs at 4. Perhaps a salmon bake would work out. Dog sledding is already waitlisted for Skagway. I guess missing whale watching is not the end of the world...we do live in Boston and have seen humpbacks on a crowded ship in Boston Harbor.

Thanks

If we did the northbound, I do not think we would stick around in Whittier after the cruise to do the PWS cruise. We may be too tired, and I'm not sure how our bags would be stored, etc.. We would probably head right up to Anchorage. We are not staying extra days to go to Denali. I guess I see the Southbound cruise as a chance to do the PWS cruise that day before the ship departs, or perhaps some fishing.

In Juneau, we would love to do the heli-glacier dog sledding, and that means we can't also do whale watching, or most other things if the boat departs at 4. Perhaps a salmon bake would work out. Dog sledding is already waitlisted for Skagway. I guess missing whale watching is not the end of the world...we do live in Boston and have seen humpbacks on a crowded ship in Boston Harbor.

Thanks

I'm still missing something, if you have 9 hours in port, there is no reason why you can not do a glacier dog sled tour and whale watching. I recommend combo booking to save at least an hour in transit time, but easy to arrange.

Plenty of people, who leave on overnight flights out of Anchorage disembarkation day, pick up the PWS boat tours. Depends on your flight times certainly. But with most overnights, sitting in the airport is a waste of time, for me. :) Both PWS boat vendors store your bags.

The one option I found between the two activities starts 15 minutes later. Seems kind of close. What is "combo booking"?

Booking independent with one vendor dropping off to the next tour. This is only available booking independent. IF you won't do this, then you have to back track and go back and forth to the ship.

Even with all this time, and if you have to get back to the ship for some reason (usually eating :) ) I don't see why you can't find tours, one in the morning, one in the afternoon?