Thoughts please before I finalize!!!

ljcruising

We are sailing with HAL on cruise/land tour and train ride included from Anchorage to Seward but as you know gives NO time to do anything in Seward, so was thinking of doing train on our own (leaving at the crack of dawn) but than found several other options with my favorite being as follows: take park connection leaving Anchorage at 7:00am and arriving Seward 9:45am, tour Sealife Center than Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise with salmon/prime rib buffet on Fox Island ( 4.5 hours ) starting at 12:00 still gives us a little time in town before getting on ship by 6:30 or 7:00pm. Advice please or other idea's welcomed!!!!!

We are sailing with HAL on cruise/land tour and train ride included from Anchorage to Seward but as you know gives NO time to do anything in Seward, so was thinking of doing train on our own (leaving at the crack of dawn) but than found several other options with my favorite being as follows: take park connection leaving Anchorage at 7:00am and arriving Seward 9:45am, tour Sealife Center than Resurrection Bay Wildlife Cruise with salmon/prime rib buffet on Fox Island ( 4.5 hours ) starting at 12:00 still gives us a little time in town before getting on ship by 6:30 or 7:00pm. Advice please or other idea's welcomed!!!!!

This gives you more touring time, that is a big plus with Alaska visits. Is a salmon bake a priority? I'm assuming you already know the details of a bay sailing? This is a high cost meal that is "good", not a stand out in my opinion. Fox Island is also viewable of Seward, so not very far away. IF you want some better food, eating at Ray's or Chinook are far superior. The Sealife Center has a nice lower level water view, especially the sea birds.

IF this is your priority, then it looks like a great choice. Won't be of interest for everybody, only you, matter.

When I was there last May there was a free shuttle that made a loop from the Sealife Center out to the RR station (and maybe farther, but that's where we got off.) There is also a taxi service that you would probably have to call ahead. I don't recall seeing taxis just roaming .

It's maybe a 20-25 minute walk.

We took the Park Connection bus from Seward to Anchorage. Very nice ride and arrived right on time.

Check online at Holland America with your cruise. Click on the itinerary and you can see if they offer extra excursions. On my Holland cruise tour in July is Fairbanks to Seward board ship to Vancouver I found an option to up grade in Anchorage to Seward. The option was to take a bus to Seward leaving early in the morning and taking the Kenai Fjords cruise tour, then we would board the ship at the regular time. Those remaining with the regular schedule take the train sometime around noon to Seward. It was an option we considered doing but decided to remain with the regular schedule going on the train. We have so many other things we are doing at ports and we just cannot do it all. The train reviews I read are very good. Good luck with your decisions.

Thanks all... There is the excursion option for the Kenai Fjords cruise with HAL but that still leaves no time in Seward, this option on my own will be about the same cost as what HAL is wanting for their upgrade. Budget Queen good points!!! Could just skip Fox Island all together and hang around Seward. Thinking the shorter tour would fit in nicely and see some wild life and would take care of lunch all in one shot not to mention being on a train 8 hours the day before may have hubby sick of trains by the next morning[emoji6].....

The bay tours are lucky to see a few sea otters. :) They are not "wildlife" tours, with needing at least 6 hours on the water- if wildlife is a priority. You don't get a good look at any glacier either. You do get a way off look at Bear Glaciers, but lacking significantly, when compared to parking right in front of Holgate, Aialik, or Northwestern glaciers.

Since you asked for feedback .....

With your limited time, it come down to prioritizing the options based on YOUR interests:

- if you want to explore Seward, it's enjoyable to walk the path from the harbor to downtown ( maybe 1 1/2 miles). It ends near the SeaLife Center which is one of your interests. Perhaps consider one of their behind the scenes tours. During the walk we've seen otters playing off shore, bald eagles flying by. Plus it's a great view across the Bay to the glaciers and mountains on the other side. And there's constant boat traffic to watch. We also enjoy hanging at the harbor , watching the fisherman come in with their catch. (the Chamber of Commerce has a free shuttle that runs between the pier and downtown, or a taxi will be less than $10)

- Exit Glacier can be accessed via a $10 shuttle. There are ranger led walks or self guided.

- a day cruise. I've taken the Bay tour twice and was disappointed. We didn't choose he Bay tour; our Kenai cruise was downgraded due to foul weather. Perhaps your enjoyment level depends on where you're from .... being from the Pacific NW I didn't find the rocky coastline and forest too interesting. BUT on both trips we saw lots of lots of birdlife, some otters, seal lion haulout, a few mountain goats, bald eagles, bald eagle nest. I've only done the Kenai cruise once and it was great ... the glacier calving was the highlight, plus a few whales.

- there are a few kayak vendors in town if that's of interest

- dog carting with Seaveys kennel

- fishing

Good luck with your plans !

p.s. there is a short video of Seward on the town web page. http://www.seward.com They will also send a free visitor guide.

And a longer one from the Chamber of Commerce on youtube.

Edited by mapleleaves
chamber link

Thanks Budget and Mapleleaves.... we are from North Carolina and never seen any part of the Pacific, we travel quite a bit (by 5th wheel camper) but have never ventured this far from home... actually first time on a plane (yikes!!!) Will never forget when I made my reservations the HAL rep ask me if I had ever been on a boat before and my answer to her was "does a pontoon count":):) I guess my biggest concern is the Seward site seeing and maybe a boat ride and Sealife center worth giving up the train ride for and venturing out on our own verses staying with our "cruise group".