Formal dinners - what if I do not carry a suit??

RM72

Friends,

My wife and I are taking a 7-day cruise MSC POESIA on 15 April from Venice to Dubrovnik. I understand that there would be two "Formal nights" in which one would have to dress up formally for dinner. The problem is that we are touring for more than a month and do not plan to take formal clothes (more importantly, formal shoes) because this short cruise forms only a rather small part of our wanderings.

I am wondering what will happen to us on those "Formal nights"? Will they throw us overboard? Will they set the dog on us? Or, will we able to sneak in with our walking shoes, an informal jacket and a tie in which I am sure I would darned funny, but maybe I would not go hungry! I would welcome any advise from experienced cruisers.

They would throw you out of the restaurant. :') Just kidding.

Nothing will happen to you. We´ve been on MSC in november and also did not bring a suit. My other half wore some "nicer" very dark blue jeans and a blazer with a shirt and nothing happened. They did not even look at us.

You might feel a bit underdressed with all the beautifully attired people around you but trust me, you´ll not be the only one without a suit.

What I did myself was carry some flat black pumps, black pants and a kind of cardigan, all made out of some material that travels well. I paired this with 3 different nicer shirts (we had 3 formal nights) and each time I was ready to go.

Think you'll be fine, they only use the leg irons on streakers. Pair of trousers jacket and tie will see you through, full formal is a suggestion not a law. Smart dress is acceptable now, there are a lot of Americans doing the Med and carrying loads of gear adds to the cost and the cruise lines are aware of this nowadays.There is always the buffet available as well if you prefer.

Kev

DRESS CODE the clue is in the title

"SUGGESTED"

Provided you adhere to the rules in the bottom box, then you can do what you want.

NO need to stress about it at all

Just relax and enjoy your cruise/

dress%20code.jpg

Pete

All,

Thanks so much, all ye kind respondents! We are now quite reassured. I do intend carrying a tie which appears to be good enough to see me through. And a shimmery dress for the wife does not mean much extra weight or packing space anyway. As you have pointed out, the buffet is always available, thus surely avoiding stark starvation. And to assure our friend GRUSH240 above, we are somewhat over the hill for going streaking - quite safe from leg irons, chains, racks and other interesting items of the Spanish Inquisition!!!!!

Our gratitude and love to all of you ....................

We only dressed for 1 of the recent 2 'gala' evenings on Fantasia. First night in tux, 2nd in black trousers and long sleeved 'formal' shirt. It appeared to us that many didn't bother on the 2nd gala evening. Saying that though, you would have no problems on either evening.

Does this mean it is OK to go into the main dining rooms without formal attire or would we need to use the self service?

We have booked a 3 night mini cruise, so not sure if there will be a formal anyway, though some people will have booked it as part of a longer cruise and we will have a sea day. Is it likely there will be a formal night on that cruise? We would normally take full formal stuff on smaller cruise ships, but this is a long weekend for us with time in Hamburg (using the ship to return to the UK), so we will not have a lot of luggage want to use trains and buses for some transfers.

Does this mean it is OK to go into the main dining rooms without formal attire or would we need to use the self service?

We have booked a 3 night mini cruise, so not sure if there will be a formal anyway, though some people will have booked it as part of a longer cruise and we will have a sea day. Is it likely there will be a formal night on that cruise? We would normally take full formal stuff on smaller cruise ships, but this is a long weekend for us with time in Hamburg (using the ship to return to the UK), so we will not have a lot of luggage want to use trains and buses for some transfers.

it is quite possible that there will be a formal night on the sea day.

is perfectly OK to go to formal nights in the MDR without formal attire, provided you adhere to the rules about shorts and tank-tops.

no need to worry about it , just go in something you are comfortable in and enjoy your cruise

Pete

it is quite possible that there will be a formal night on the sea day.

is perfectly OK to go to formal nights in the MDR without formal attire, provided you adhere to the rules about shorts and tank-tops.

no need to worry about it , just go in something you are comfortable in and enjoy your cruise

Pete

Thanks, we will be smartly dressed and I will take a good dress, just not too sure we will want to take a jacket and heavy formal shoes for my husband, though he will have decent quality black shoes. Can I assume MSC announce the dress codes for the cruise nearer to the time?

Thanks, we will be smartly dressed and I will take a good dress, just not too sure we will want to take a jacket and heavy formal shoes for my husband, though he will have decent quality black shoes. Can I assume MSC announce the dress codes for the cruise nearer to the time?

They give the dress codes (which are only "SUGGESTED") in the daily information leaflet which is placed in your cabin the evening before.

Pete

They give the dress codes (which are only "SUGGESTED") in the daily information leaflet which is placed in your cabin the evening before.

Pete

Thanks again, much appreciated. If they do not give advance warning of a formal (or not) then we would not be carrying a dunner suit anyway clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

All,

. And to assure our friend GRUSH240 above, we are somewhat over the hill for going streaking - quite safe from leg irons, chains, racks and other interesting items of the Spanish Inquisition!!!!!

Our gratitude and love to all of you ....................

You don't know what you're missing. Have fun :evilsmile:

Kev

If they do not give advance warning of a formal (or not) then we would not be carrying a dunner suit anyway clear.png?emoji-smile-1742
You will not receive advance warning specifically for your cruise, but information about recommended attire is included in the general advice that is available to all customers and valid for all MSC cruises. (See What should I pack? and What to wear onboard.)

But as already explained, if you don't want to play dress up for the Gala evenings, you don't have to, and they won't require any explanations from you.