Car Rental-Inverness/Invergordon??

teacherman

Have any of you rented a car at this port? If so, could you please tell what it was like to do this (pick-up and drop-off, driving on the left side of the road, where you visited with the car)? We are interested in doing this but somewhat apprehensive. Any information/advice is welcome. Thank you.

hello teacher man, I can't actually answer your question specifically but I'm a cruise volunteer at Edinburgh and I know some of the volunteers up at Invergordon who may be abel to help. This is their website:

http://www.visitinvergordon.com

The could probably help you come up with a route, either now or on the day.

The roads are very quiet in that area but also fairly narrow so probably very very different to what you're used to but shouldn't be too challenging

We are renting a car in Invergordon. See this link: http://www.shorexcursions.co.uk/carhire.htm

They were slow in answering my request.

Ken's Garage is actually at a Peugeot dealership. Our contact was:

claire.cunningham@peugeotmail.co.uk

She was very good about answering my emails.

The cars all are Peugeots and it works out to be about 112USD for the day. They will deliver the car to the port for your pick up.

We are taking our GPS and following the route of some of the tours we have read about.

• 3 weeks later...

If you've never driven on the left, or if you do so only every several years or so, I strongly recommend NOT renting a manual transmission car!

It takes some getting used to to drive opposite of the way we do in the US, and to deal with shifting gears + that, is a challenge. It's your holiday, so the less stress the better.

BTW, we looked into renting a car in Invergordon from Ken's, but there were no automatic transmission cars available. Instead we took a private tour organized by a roll call member and were very pleased with our day visiting Outlander sights.

American or Canadian driving licences are OK here. You will usually need a credit card and your passport as ID, unless your licence has a photo on it.

The age limit is usually 75, but can vary between hirers.

Thank you for all of the information. Does anyone know if we need some special drivers license to do this? Is there any type of age limit (too elderly) to rent a car?

We had to send a copy of my husband's drivers license, which we scanned and put in an e-mail before confirmation of the rental. They also asked his occupation, so I said he was retired and what his occupation had been. They sent the confirmation back very quickly, he will be 70 at the time we are in Invergordon. We have the itinerary for some of the tour operators, so we will follow their route to see the sites we prefer to visit.

In 2013 we rented from Ken's Garage in Invergordon. Here are my notes: Go to blue gate office as you leave pier. Keys can be collected 8-9.30. KENS GARAGE, clare.mackay@peugeotmail.co.uk 55GBP ($85) includes tax & fully comprehensive insurance with liability for 500GBP. Peugeot 5 seaters, manual with full tank; petrol station across road.

My husband is reasonably good driving a manual, and driving on the left as well. Other than a few places (perhaps the town of Inverness?) there wasn't much traffic, so it was fairly easy. We drove to the Inverness area, visited a castle, drove a bit around Loch Ness, and came back. My photos are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/invergordon__lerwick_shetlands

There was one place where we had a little bit of trouble navigating, and I don't remember exactly why, except that the road we ended up on was QUITE small. It didn't seem right. I'm not sure if we took a wrong turn somewhere or not, but we did manage to get headed to where we were going. I was using my Tom Tom GPS at the time but maybe the smartphone I have now would have been better at keeping us on track.

All in all it was fairly easy driving there and we had a great time. I also spent a little time when we got back walking through Invergordon. It was maybe a 5 to 10 minute walk up to High Street, the main street. I enjoyed looking at a number of murals along the street.

In 2013 we rented from Ken's Garage in Invergordon. Here are my notes: Go to blue gate office as you leave pier. Keys can be collected 8-9.30. KENS GARAGE, clare.mackay@peugeotmail.co.uk 55GBP ($85) includes tax & fully comprehensive insurance with liability for 500GBP. Peugeot 5 seaters, manual with full tank; petrol station across road.

My husband is reasonably good driving a manual, and driving on the left as well. Other than a few places (perhaps the town of Inverness?) there wasn't much traffic, so it was fairly easy. We drove to the Inverness area, visited a castle, drove a bit around Loch Ness, and came back. My photos are here: http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/invergordon__lerwick_shetlands

There was one place where we had a little bit of trouble navigating, and I don't remember exactly why, except that the road we ended up on was QUITE small. It didn't seem right. I'm not sure if we took a wrong turn somewhere or not, but we did manage to get headed to where we were going. I was using my Tom Tom GPS at the time but maybe the smartphone I have now would have been better at keeping us on track.

All in all it was fairly easy driving there and we had a great time. I also spent a little time when we got back walking through Invergordon. It was maybe a 5 to 10 minute walk up to High Street, the main street. I enjoyed looking at a number of murals along the street.

Thank you for the information, hope we do as well as you did driving in the area.