Moderately priced dinner on the beach or overlooking the water

scoop45

We leave on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas on January 14 and will be in port from 8 a.m. until 11 p.m. So we wanted to take advantage of the late departure and try and eat dinner on the island.

Can anyone recommend a seafood restaurant for sunset that is either located on the beach or has a deck or seating that overlooks the water? We have looked at the obvious ones (Barefoot Beach and Passions) but they are way too pricey. We are looking for good food (obviously) with a romantic touch that won't destroy our wallet - more emphasis on the setting than the food.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks!

Easy. Faro Blanco, although it is an Italian place, seafood is good, and it's a cab ride away out at the California Lighthouse but it is beautifully located and a perfect place to experience a gorgeous sunset around 6:00PM, depending on weather and time of year. For a great seafood restaurant nearby the port, short cab ride to Driftwood -- try the barracuda, if it's available. Reliably good. Closer is Fisherman's (something or another) near the bus terminal a block or three away from your ship. Good food, locals like it, reasonable. No view, unless you count passersby. Others are Windows on Aruba for the view, costly. Check ads for many others; visitors have a wealth of choices in Aruba for dining and ambiance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dining in Aruba is pricey. If you took a taxi to the restaurant at the lighthouse, you will pay $40.00 round trip, not including the tip, just to get there and back. One option is West Deck, which is past Renaissance Marketplace. It sits on the water, and has a nice tapas menu, along with full dinners. We often order several tapas each, and have a less expensive meal. You can look at the menu on their website. Iguana Joe's is right across the street from the pier, and has nice views. They are a little less expensive.

Another option would be to go grab something to eat at one of the bars on Palm Beach, such as Bugaloe, Pelican Pier, or Moomba. They are right on the beach.

As far as a seafood dinner goes, most restaurant prices are about the same as Barefoot. Redfish is a little cheaper, but it is back on another main highway, nowhere close to the beach.

Edited by Hatteras51

• 1 month later...
Dining in Aruba is pricey. If you took a taxi to the restaurant at the lighthouse, you will pay $40.00 round trip, not including the tip, just to get there and back. One option is West Deck, which is past Renaissance Marketplace. It sits on the water, and has a nice tapas menu, along with full dinners. We often order several tapas each, and have a less expensive meal. You can look at the menu on their website. Iguana Joe's is right across the street from the pier, and has nice views. They are a little less expensive.

Another option would be to go grab something to eat at one of the bars on Palm Beach, such as Bugaloe, Pelican Pier, or Moomba. They are right on the beach.

As far as a seafood dinner goes, most restaurant prices are about the same as Barefoot. Redfish is a little cheaper, but it is back on another main highway, nowhere close to the beach.

Are West deck and Iguana Joes an easy walk from the ship? Safe at night?

Are West Deck and Iguana Joes an easy walk from the ship and safe at night?

Passions on the beach. Can't get any closer to the water than that, right on Eagle Beach. Short cab ride away or can take bus and lets you off right there. Can check the web site for menu and prices

They are looking for something moderately priced. Passions is expensive.

Another vote for West Deck which is not too far from the cruise port. Nice menu selections and decent prices. I like their small bites or appetizers which is a great way to try their food or you can order a meal.

Their restaurant deck sits on the beach and you can watch the planes land at the nearby airport. Also, if you time it right...watch a beautiful sunset.

I have a few pictures on my blog. Look for the Aruba posts from January of this year: http:http://www.2bcruising.blogspot.com

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I love and really look forward/trust the reviews on CC. We will be in Aruba overnight in March. I'd love a simple restaurant close to port. Is Iguana Joe's a good place to just sit, talk, have a local beer and watch the water/sunset. We aren't looking for foo foo because we're on a cruise ship, but are looking forward to fresh fish and local beer. Our son is a veggie and I've looked at the menu. I'm just asking for a plus from CC members that this is a good laid back, fun place. By the end of our first day we won't want to be far from the ship. Thank you for any help.

I love and really look forward/trust the reviews on CC. We will be in Aruba overnight in March. I'd love a simple restaurant close to port. Is Iguana Joe's a good place to just sit, talk, have a local beer and watch the water/sunset. We aren't looking for foo foo because we're on a cruise ship, but are looking forward to fresh fish and local beer. Our son is a veggie and I've looked at the menu. I'm just asking for a plus from CC members that this is a good laid back, fun place. By the end of our first day we won't want to be far from the ship. Thank you for any help.

I'm thinking the couple buildings across the street and your ship will block the sunset but it is very close to your ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions. We decided to go to West Deck. However, we stayed at the beach too late and never made it to West Deck in time to see the sunset. So as we were walking down the street to the restaurant but watching nervously as the sun quickly was approaching the horizon, we took a sharp right off the sidewalk and walked to the end of the Market Place - I think that was the name - which is sort of like an outdoor mall and turned out to be a secret goldmine. At the end past the shops and restuarants, is a beautiful grassy open area with palm trees, flowers and bushes that look out over the water. We took the most amazing sunset photos of the week there, and as an added bonus, were able to include the ship in many of them.

On our walk back, we stopped at Iguana Joe's, which has a decent view, and had some drinks before boarding the ship.

So unfortunately, I can't comment on our experience at West Deck, but if anyone is just looking for a prime spot to snap some breath-taking photos, check out this spot.