Miami or FLL Before our cruise

lizziez00

For those of you that are familiar with Miami and FLL.....We (my 20yr old daughter and I) are flying into FLL on a Thursday for a Saturday cruise out of Miami. Are we better off (price wise) trying to find a nice hotel on the beach for two nights in Ft Lauderdale as opposed to going directly to Miami? and If so, are there any areas to stay away from?

I plan to use Larry's Limo Service to get us from one city to the other (Last time we got an amazing deal at the Intercontinental in Miami so it was a no brainer, but they are sold out that weekend)

Thanks so much!!!!

For two days I would head to South Beach.

It is completely walkable and you will not need to rent a car.

The Pelican has had some pretty good deals lately and is a fantastic resort. Not directly on the beach but they provide chairs and umbrellas.

For two days I would head to South Beach.

It is completely walkable and you will not need to rent a car.

The Pelican has had some pretty good deals lately and is a fantastic resort. Not directly on the beach but they provide chairs and umbrellas.

Perfect!! Thanks so much :)

It is commonly discussed and recommended here that Ft Lauderdale is cheaper than Miami. Requiring a beach front hotel might diminish the difference, but I doubt it.

I have cruised three times out of Miami and will again next January. I stayed in Miami the first time and Fort Lauderdale the other two. I prefer Fort Lauderdale along 17th street because I have easy access to the beach with the trolley or water taxi. Shopping and dining are plentiful as well.

Not to mention the hotels have been a bit lower in cost too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have cruised three times out of Miami and will again next January. I stayed in Miami the first time and Fort Lauderdale the other two. I prefer Fort Lauderdale along 17th street because I have easy access to the beach with the trolley or water taxi. Shopping and dining are plentiful as well.

Not to mention the hotels have been a bit lower in cost too.

What are the hotels that you have stay at in Ft Lauderdale?

Thanks!

I have stayed at Pier 66 ( my favorite because of the pool) Holiday Inn Express and Renaissance. http://www.suntrolley.com and http://www.watertaxi.com can get you to the beach, shopping, and restaurants. On our last visit we spent the entire day riding the water taxi from stop to stop. No car needed to get around.

I have stayed at Pier 66 ( my favorite because of the pool) Holiday Inn Express and Renaissance. www.suntrolley.com and www.watertaxi.com can get you to the beach, shopping, and restaurants. On our last visit we spent the entire day riding the water taxi from stop to stop. No car needed to get around.

YAY!!! I booked Pier 66 yesterday before I even read this!! :D Thanks so much! We have one day (back from the cruise on Sat- leave Mon morning) when we come back and I think I will try South Beach for that, just for my daughter. :)

YAY!!! I booked Pier 66 yesterday before I even read this!! :D Thanks so much! We have one day (back from the cruise on Sat- leave Mon morning) when we come back and I think I will try South Beach for that, just for my daughter. :)

• 2 weeks later...

We are cruising on the Escape in May (I didn't realize until trying to book airfare and hotel now that we leave the Saturday of Memorial weekend) and we like to fly in the day or 2 before so that we can try to be at the port by noon. Since it is Memorial weekend, it seems prices from OKC to MIA or FLL are already expensive, and hotels seem pricier for that weekend as well. I was trying to decide if we should fly into MIA or FLL. There are 9 of us cruising, so we would need at least 2 hotel rooms. I'm hoping to not have to rent a car, so I'm researching transportation from the airport to the hotel, and the hotel to the port. Any people that have cruised out of Miami before that can give me some pointers? We cruised on the Getaway out of Miami, but we flew into Orlando early, then drove our rental car to Miami the morning we sailed. Any advice is welcomed :)

We are cruising on the Escape in May (I didn't realize until trying to book airfare and hotel now that we leave the Saturday of Memorial weekend) and we like to fly in the day or 2 before so that we can try to be at the port by noon. Since it is Memorial weekend, it seems prices from OKC to MIA or FLL are already expensive, and hotels seem pricier for that weekend as well. I was trying to decide if we should fly into MIA or FLL. There are 9 of us cruising, so we would need at least 2 hotel rooms. I'm hoping to not have to rent a car, so I'm researching transportation from the airport to the hotel, and the hotel to the port. Any people that have cruised out of Miami before that can give me some pointers? We cruised on the Getaway out of Miami, but we flew into Orlando early, then drove our rental car to Miami the morning we sailed. Any advice is welcomed :)

You need three hotel rooms for nine people. Five people in one room sharing a bathroom? Yikes.

Stay out of South Beach Memorial Weekend. It's Urban/Hip Hop Beach weekend. Brings several hundred thousand people to the area for Rap.

We will fly into FLL for a cruise the next day out of Miami. I think we will also need a room for the night we get back.

Where would you recommend for this? Also, what transportation between FLL and Miami would you suggest?

Stay near FLL - lots of hotels with free airport shuttles and more that are a short cab ride away. www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

Shared shuttles between the FLL area and POM are popular, with fares starting at about $15 per person. SAS, QLS, Go Airport and others are suggested on this board regularly. The shuttle company web sites list the hotels they pick up at - saving you a trip back to the airport just to catch your shuttle ride to POM. The same companies can get your from POM back to FLL for your flight home.

We will fly into FLL for a cruise the next day out of Miami. I think we will also need a room for the night we get back.

Where would you recommend for this? Also, what transportation between FLL and Miami would you suggest?

I have used Larry's Limo car service and will use it in March again...They were wonderful!