What to do in Costa Maya??

seadams15

Contact Steve at Tropicante and confirm if he has space available. He takes reservations but I believe holds spaces open for walk ups. If no space at Tropicante, I recommend you walk along the malecon and look for either BlackPearl or Pez Quadro. You might also check at Nacional Beach Club. You can go just about anywhere. I'd suggest you avoid the clubs closer to the lighthouse/first bus stop, Tequila Beach, Corona Beach, Senor Frogs. These are more crowded and service can get poor and food is more marginal. The further down the malecon you go the less crowded it gets.

Just back from similar itinerary. We went to Maya Chan Beach. Owned and operated by Americans. Totally amazing - shaded palapas, beach chairs, hammocks, float chairs, banana boats, etc. It's all inclusive, and the bartender doesn't use shot glasses. Food is fantastic, and prepared by a local right in front of you.

They only have space for a certain number per day, so you don't feel the overcrowded conditions.

Cannot say enough about the place. Highly recommend! (AI also includes the taxi there and back).

This will be one of our stops on our cruise in October. This is the only stop that I can't seem to figure out a plan. We're on Carnival liberty and will be in from 7am-2pm.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

We just got back from last minute cruise on the NCL Epic (booked 10 days out and did no planning to speak of!) but we had a great time in Costa Maya! Just outside of the pier there is a rental place for golf carts. We rented one for $75 for four hours. We went all over the place and way to the end about as far as you can go before it's all private property. Lots to see and on the way back stopped at Maya Luna. It's a small beach area with chairs and small restaurant. Just walked in. Got a beer and a large water for $5 and sat at a picnic table for a while talking with other cruisers. It looked like you could get massages there too. Very quiet and serene. Don't think the beaches there are as great as others we've been too, but still very nice. Depends on what you want. There is plenty of 'party party' right at the pier and a lot of the other AI places you can book for $ ... but for our purposes, this was great! We were pleasantly surprised that it's just a very nice place with lots of very nice people! Enjoy no matter what you do! :)

Just back from similar itinerary. We went to Maya Chan Beach. Owned and operated by Americans. Totally amazing - shaded palapas, beach chairs, hammocks, float chairs, banana boats, etc. It's all inclusive, and the bartender doesn't use shot glasses. Food is fantastic, and prepared by a local right in front of you.

They only have space for a certain number per day, so you don't feel the overcrowded conditions.

Cannot say enough about the place. Highly recommend! (AI also includes the taxi there and back).

I agree, We have been to Maya Chan 6 times and would not even dream of going to Costa Maya without going to Maya Chan.

I will be in Costa Maya on the Epic April 10th. We are docked 8am-5pm. Will there be enough time for Maya Chan? Their website says they are minutes from the port. I that true? The place sounds great.

I will be in Costa Maya on the Epic April 10th. We are docked 8am-5pm. Will there be enough time for Maya Chan? Their website says they are minutes from the port. I that true? The place sounds great.

You will have more time than we ever had. On our last trip on the Jewel, "All aboard" was 3:30.

Maya Chans picks you up and drops you off back at the port at the end of the day. It is about 15 - 20 minutes each way. Bottom line is you will have plenty of time.

Edited by endymion6942

You will have more time than we ever had. On our last trip on the Jewel, "All aboard" was 3:30.

Maya Chans picks you up and drops you off back at the port at the end of the day. It is about 15 - 20 minutes each way. Bottom line is you will have plenty of time.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I was too late for Maya Chan but I did get a spot at Almaplena which seems to be very similar. Reviews seemed pretty good. It is also about 20 minutes by taxi.

Where do I go to make a reservation? I'm not seeing a website online.

You will have plenty of time. We were on the Epic in March and went to Maya Chan. It took us 10 to 15 minutes to get there. We were in our assigned chairs with chips and salsa by 9:45 and went back to the ship around 2:00. We had a young child with us so we went back to the ship earlier than most of the guests.

• 9 months later...
This will be one of our stops on our cruise in October. This is the only stop that I can't seem to figure out a plan. We're on Carnival liberty and will be in from 7am-2pm.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Forums mobile app

Are you looking for a beach day? Do you want an AI or PAYG?

I have been to Maya Chan, Almaplena, Nohoch Kay and Blue Kay.

Just my thoughts...if you are in port for a short day (as in 7-2pm), if you want to save time on getting to and from your location, head to the Malecon. It's only 5-10 minutes away and check out a place called Blue Kay. The place is gorgeous and FREE to stay there. Just eat and drink while you're there (great prices) and that's it. It has awesome snorkeling right there from the shore and you can even stand up in the area. You can rent canoes, bikes and snorkeling equipment from there if needed. They also have massages. Clean facilities and great food. I have a complete review of it listed in my signature line with TONS of pictures if you are interested.

Maya Chan would be the next place on the list after that for a short stay. It will take you a little longer to get there, so more time in travel=less time at the facility. It does have a lot of sea grass there, so don't go expecting the perfect crystal clear blue Caribbean water. But the place itself is fabulous with your own personal spot on the beach. The food is AWESOME and this is an AI, so 1 price that includes everything.

Almaplena is absolutely gorgeous...but now you are talking about even a longer drive (pas Maya Chan) and that will eat up a lot of your time. It is also an AI and has everything included...with also the crystal clear blue water. Very pretty.

Nohoch Kay-well, I just don't recommend it to anyone, but that's my opinion. :)