Vista From N.Y. Please Help

Cinders411

We are sailing on the Vista's, 11 Day Journey cruise from N.Y. and ending up in Miami Nov 2016. Neither hubby or myself have ever been to N.Y and to be honest I am a bit intimidated :eek:. We would like to fly in a day or two ahead of time for some sight seeing. I believe the Vista sails from the Manhattan pier???? DH would like to stay in Times Square. Is there a decent hotel in the area that is also not too far from the port? We stayed in Boston this year and paid around $300.00 for the night. I expect N.Y. will be this or more. I am also wondering about taking a cab to port? Will this be very expensive from the Time's Square area? I believe we will be flying on Southwest to LaGuardia. Any help would be appreciated.

We are sailing on the Vista's, 11 Day Journey cruise from N.Y. and ending up in Miami Nov 2016. Neither hubby or myself have ever been to N.Y and to be honest I am a bit intimidated :eek:. We would like to fly in a day or two ahead of time for some sight seeing. I believe the Vista sails from the Manhattan pier???? DH would like to stay in Times Square. Is there a decent hotel in the area that is also not too far from the port? We stayed in Boston this year and paid around $300.00 for the night. I expect N.Y. will be this or more. I am also wondering about taking a cab to port? Will this be very expensive from the Time's Square area? I believe we will be flying on Southwest to LaGuardia. Any help would be appreciated.

Plan on taking a cab from La Guardia to your hotel for $40-50. If you are in the Times Square area, a cab to the port should run $10-15.

What exact dates would you need a hotel room?

We sail on Nov 16th so would require a hotel room for the 15th & probably the 14th as well.

It's a bit early to be booking for Nov 14-16, 2016, but you can start looking around. Unfortunately, that's a Mon-We'd, so you will be seeing business traveler rates.

Is there a reason your DH wants to stay in Times Square? We do, but we go to NYC for theater weekends. Many people find it unpleasantly crowded and chaotic.

As long as you stay near a subway station (on google maps, they're little blue Ms), it's easy to get around.

With only 2 people, one option is to bid on a hotel using Priceline. In NYC, the zones are quite small. If you haven't used Priceline, read betterbidding and/or biddingfortravel to learn how.

Taxi from times square to port is only about 10 dollars, love NYC visit every year, plays are great , I would stay in times square area but a block or 2 from the heart of it. We like the Michelangelo which may be out of your price range or Hilton on 6th and 53rd. Please post again when you get closer to the date and we can recommend resturants etc etc

Taxi from times square to port is only about 10 dollars,c

Not always, I go to NY a few times every year. Last year, a cab cost me over $20 from Port Authority due to gridlocked traffic and stuck in a turning lane. No way around the fare.

I always suggest, allowing a higher cab fare estimate.

Is there a reason your DH wants to stay in Times Square? We do, but we go to NYC for theater weekends. Many people find it unpleasantly crowded and chaotic.

As long as you stay near a subway station (on google maps, they're little blue Ms), it's easy to get around.

With only 2 people, one option is to bid on a hotel using Priceline. In NYC, the zones are quite small. If you haven't used Priceline, read betterbidding and/or biddingfortravel to learn how.

I am not certain why he wants to stay there. He just says it would be "neat". I think perhaps it is all the New Years Eve's he has watched on t.v. LOL!