Ijmuiden to Amsterdam

Hi all,

Wondering about transport between the two? Group of four. Best option? Taxi? Roughly how much each way? Is there a train? Tram? River transfer?

What's the best option? Most scenic? Cost effective?

Thanks,

Paul.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't have the answer but am curious to the replies you will receive. I hate that HAL and possibly others have moved out of Amsterdam as a docking location. My understanding is that Ijmuiden is not very convenient to public transportation so a cab or prearranged shuttle will probably be the answer. I believe this is a cost move as it saves from sailing the ship up river and paying what I am sure is a higher dockage fee. It also will lead more people to use the cruise lines transfers, another money maker.

Yeah sometimes we find the cruise coaches cost effective but can be a bit restricting and obviously busy at peak times. Usually travelling in a four we find it easier and cheaper to grab a cab :) I'm always happy and find it fun to use local transport. Ie trams in Istanbul or jump on a Dolmus! Just interested in any costing or options for this area :)

No trains, no more ferry. There is a regular bus from Amsterdam Marnixstraat (NOT Centraal station) to IJmuiden, but not that great if you have much luggage..

Cabs will easily be E. 50,- and maybe more.

Check with your cruiseline if they offer a shuttle.

More about all this here:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2014260&highlight=ijmuiden

Ferry not any more. Busses, a lot of hussle. Train/bus cheapest but not easy traveling, takes more time, travel light! Most easy: taxi/cab, about € 85 per taxi (3-4 passengers) from Amsterdam city Center to IJmuiden terminal

Hmm that sounds quite expensive :( might have to look at the MSC transfer. Apparently the public bus goes every half hour for only €2. Hassle yes but so much cheaper :)

I am wondering if you are on our cruise...May 26 on the MSCOpera. I have been trying to find out the same information and am totally confused. We will probably end up on one of the MSC excursions if there is still room. I have left it too late to book online.

Hi mate, no I'm on the 17th June. Seems there is a public bus for a couple of euros. Will probably be one hell of a scrum! Then they'll be the usual MSC transfer coaches. Not sure how much money but I'm sure they will be busy! Or a pretty expensive taxi. Still not made up our minds which way we'll go!

Well if I get a chance I'll post on here and let you know what we did and how it worked out. I asked MSC about a shuttle but I don't think the agent on the live chat knew what I was asking about! She just kept referring me to the MSC excursions and said that was the only way to get transportation into town.

Well if I get a chance I'll post on here and let you know what we did and how it worked out. I asked MSC about a shuttle but I don't think the agent on the live chat knew what I was asking about! She just kept referring me to the MSC excursions and said that was the only way to get transportation into town.

I've booked the coach transfer for the 30th June at €29.

Ferry not any more. Busses, a lot of hussle. Train/bus cheapest but not easy traveling, takes more time, travel light! Most easy: taxi/cab, about € 85 per taxi (3-4 passengers) from Amsterdam city Center to IJmuiden terminal

We are planning on taking a cab to ijmuiden on the morning of our cruise and I wondered if it will be easy to find one to take us to the Ijmuiden terminal from downtown Amsterdam? Are there taxi stands where you can hire a cab or will the hotel call one for you? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Debbie

We are planning on taking a cab to ijmuiden on the morning of our cruise and I wondered if it will be easy to find one to take us to the Ijmuiden terminal from downtown Amsterdam? Are there taxi stands where you can hire a cab or will the hotel call one for you? Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

Debbie

Either the hotel can arrange one, or you have to go to a taxi stand.

You can arrange one through e.g. http://www.tcataxi.nl/en/home.html

• 2 months later...

PLEASE tell me there's something wrong with the taxi website mentioned above!!

I just tried to get an estimate for our taxi ride from the IBIS hotel on Stationsplein in Amsterdam to Ijmuiden Terminal on August 10th.

First I kept getting "invalid format" for the time I entered, I wanted to go at noon and tried 12:00, 12PM, 1200...all invalid!

So I just accepted the date and time suggested by the website, today at 19:43. really just to get an estimate.

And I got 10751.30 Euros!!! (2 people 3 bags) that's got to be wrong, correct?:confused:

Help:o

PLEASE tell me there's something wrong with the taxi website mentioned above!!

I just tried to get an estimate for our taxi ride from the IBIS hotel on Stationsplein in Amsterdam to Ijmuiden Terminal on August 10th.

First I kept getting "invalid format" for the time I entered, I wanted to go at noon and tried 12:00, 12PM, 1200...all invalid!

So I just accepted the date and time suggested by the website, today at 19:43. really just to get an estimate.

And I got 10751.30 Euros!!! (2 people 3 bags) that's got to be wrong, correct?:confused:

Help:o

Tell them you want to hire the taxi, not buy it outright!