Baltic cruise review

• 4 weeks later...

Just read your review, thanks for taking the time to post it!

We're planning a Baltics cruise and just starting to research the sites in each port. I've read through the tours offered by the popular St. Petersburg companies and they all offer similar itineraries going to more or less standard tourist sites. We would like to design a tour to spend a little longer, at therefore fewer, sites. On the Alla tour you experienced, which sites, in retrospect, do you consider worth seeing? Were some worth a tour at the site, others just should have been a photo stop, or any you could have done without?

I realize it is subjective but would love to hear opinions-sometimes attractions get over-hyped! Thanks for any comments you may have!

Just read your great review, thanks!

Do you remember how much the nesting dolls were? (more or less, as I know there are different sizes) You were able to pay in U.S. dollars or Euros?

Thanks!

Hi, You could pay in US $ or Euros. We paid on our credit card (which has no charges). They were usually all priced in RR, but staff would walk around with calculators and give you the currency equivalent. Our set of 5 was £150, but we wanted a decent one, we bought in one of the shops when on Alla tours. It tells the story of a Russian fairy tale. We also bought a small cheap set for a gift for £14. The ship (Eclipse) sold them in the days following SPB and I think the prices were the same, ranging from cheap to $2000!

Just read your review, thanks for taking the time to post it!

We're planning a Baltics cruise and just starting to research the sites in each port. I've read through the tours offered by the popular St. Petersburg companies and they all offer similar itineraries going to more or less standard tourist sites. We would like to design a tour to spend a little longer, at therefore fewer, sites. On the Alla tour you experienced, which sites, in retrospect, do you consider worth seeing? Were some worth a tour at the site, others just should have been a photo stop, or any you could have done without?

I realize it is subjective but would love to hear opinions-sometimes attractions get over-hyped! Thanks for any comments you may have!

We did the grand tour as we wanted to see lots and not spend too long in museums. I really think we would not have missed anything, one lady in our group was annoyed we did not spend longer in the Hermitage, but you would need days to see it all. Our guide asked us if anyone had a particular item they wanted to see, and we all said no, just give us an overview. Though we were inside just after opening it was mobbed with tours. We really enjoyed our 2 long days.

We are in St. Petersburg now on Legend of the Seas. Inexpensive 7 piece for $33. 5 piece were about $25, 6 piece about $30. These are probably the least expensive tourist quality ones.

UOTE=Annabella29;43581039]Just read your great review, thanks!

Do you remember how much the nesting dolls were? (more or less, as I know there are different sizes) You were able to pay in U.S. dollars or Euros?

Thanks!

We are in St. Petersburg now on Legend of the Seas. Inexpensive 7 piece for $33. 5 piece were about $25, 6 piece about $30. These are probably the least expensive tourist quality ones.

Thank you for taking the time to answer! Enjoy the rest of your cruise! :o

We really enjoyed our two whole day P&O small group tours in St Petersburg - visted all the must-see palaces, churches, gardens and residences plus took the riverboat and hydrofoil and also visited an indoor food market and a souvenir gift shop. We also went on the Metro and changed trains - my husband's favourite experience out of two days in St Petersburg!! :)

We felt the small group tours were brilliant. The two days were very long and very tiring but we felt so worthwhile to get a very good overview.

Edited by Scriv

I was originally booked for the 2 day Deluxe tour with SPB then changed ships and changed to the 3 day.

In hindsight I wish I had stayed with the 2 day even though we had 3 days there. The 2 day you also save time by getting the hydrofoil to Peterhof.

When you compare the 2 day deluxe and the 3 day deluxe you visit the same places just with less time.

Our ship arrived at 10am and I was told we could have a late day if needed. After the first day with touristy type shopping we said we didn't want any more of that. We had 7 minutes in one church but 15 minutes in the overpriced shop.

We were quite rushed but got back early on all days. THAT was very annoying. Seeing we cut the shopping out we thought we'd have a bit more time. Everything is so amazing but the tour wasn't 100%.

BTW it is said that to see everything in the Hermitage would take 9 years. It is the largest museum in the world (some say one of).

We really enjoyed our two whole day P&O small group tours in St Petersburg - visted all the must-see palaces, churches, gardens and residences plus took the riverboat and hydrofoil and also visited an indoor food market and a souvenir gift shop. We also went on the Metro and changed trains - my husband's favourite experience out of two days in St Petersburg!! :)

We felt the small group tours were brilliant. The two days were very long and very tiring but we felt so worthwhile to get a very good overview.

I was originally booked for the 2 day Deluxe tour with SPB then changed ships and changed to the 3 day.

In hindsight I wish I had stayed with the 2 day even though we had 3 days there. The 2 day you also save time by getting the hydrofoil to Peterhof.

When you compare the 2 day deluxe and the 3 day deluxe you visit the same places just with less time.

Our ship arrived at 10am and I was told we could have a late day if needed. After the first day with touristy type shopping we said we didn't want any more of that. We had 7 minutes in one church but 15 minutes in the overpriced shop.

We were quite rushed but got back early on all days. THAT was very annoying. Seeing we cut the shopping out we thought we'd have a bit more time. Everything is so amazing but the tour wasn't 100%.

BTW it is said that to see everything in the Hermitage would take 9 years. It is the largest museum in the world (some say one of).

Thanks for your comments-we will have only 2 days in SPB so sounds like if we do Peterhof, the hydrofoil option is best for time. We also hope to see the Russian museum and do a canal tour and subway ride, so something has to give. For us, we think that church tours are not high on the list, plus reduced shopping. Were Peterhof and Catherine's palace worth the trip?

We did the grand tour as we wanted to see lots and not spend too long in museums. I really think we would not have missed anything, one lady in our group was annoyed we did not spend longer in the Hermitage, but you would need days to see it all. Our guide asked us if anyone had a particular item they wanted to see, and we all said no, just give us an overview. Though we were inside just after opening it was mobbed with tours. We really enjoyed our 2 long days.

Thanks for your response. It seems that the Hermitage is crowded no matter when you get there, just have to make the best of it! I don't think we would want to miss the site entirely though. What was your favourite site?