FREE Wi-FI in Curacao?

shelbymustang

I read on a Curacao port review that there is free Wi-Fi once you cross over the bridge. Is this true? Hoping.......

Yes..over the bridge free wifi and is faster than near port. You will see a lot of people on their devices once you crossover.

Thanks everyone! I'm assuming also that you must have "International service" with your cell phone company to be able to use this free Wi-Fi?

You couldn't be more wrong. IF you turn on International Service via your cell phone company you open yourself up to VERY costly data usage. Avoid that at all costs by keeping your phone in airplane mode and using the wi-fi option on your phone while still in airplane mode. This will let you use the free wifi without any risk of getting charged.

TLDR; International Service isn't needed for Wi-fi. Put your phone in airplane mode, if you are planning to use wifi data.

Thank you josephcooper7!! I haven't been out of the country in a long time and now with cell service - am learning lots of new things. Much appreciated and thanks again for the info! Tammy

No worries, I actually just researched this for myself. The idea of international service plan would be smart if you don't want to be stuck to one spot or if you plan on making any phone calls or text. If you wanted to post your cellular company I could give you a break down if you wanted to use your phones in port.

But no matter which company you have. You don't want to use cellular data on a cruise ship because it around $20.48 per mb and loading a facebook feed could end up in the tens of thousands of dollars. That's why airplane mode is so important.

Lastly, speeds on the ship are like dialup so you struggle to pull down a lot of mb in a short time but at that price the ship per minute plans are cheaper. Ports of call with free wifi don't require any additional money if in airplane mode. But getting a plan could mean using the internet while on a bus to your excursion spot. It's all about preference.

I have AT & T. Thanks!

Please note they have a special global package for cruise ship data but it doesn't seem to include Carnival according to AT&T website. Therefore, the price would be the same on the ship as in port without a global plan.

Again, none of this applies if you are in airplane mode, but if your not in airplane mode than the prices on the ship/port without a global plan is:

Talk $2.50 /min.

Per message sent (Text) $0.50 /text message (picture & video message )$1.30

Cellular Data $0.0195 /KB ($19.97/MB)

If you purchase the global plan (3 different plans) it doesn’t cover on the ship but in port it would include:

Plan Passport

One-time charge $30

Unlimited text/picture

Talk $1.00/min.

Cellular Data: 120MB

Overage: $0.25/MB

Passport Plus

One-time charge $60

Unlimited text/picture

Talk: $0.50/min.

Cellular Data 300MB

Overage: $0.20/MB

Passport Pro

One-time charge $90

Unlimited text/picture

Talk: $0.35/min.

Cellular Data 800MB

Overage: $0.15/MB

In closing please notice that a data overage goes from $19.97/MB (prepaid) to 20 cent if you go over on the paid plan. Therefore, if you literally use two MB in port (which is nothing) than you pay $40 dollars and if you bought the plan for $30 dollars you get 120MB for 30 dollars and free texting. Resulting in a ten dollars saving, unlimited text, and an extra 118 MB for free. So if you plan to turn off airplane mode at all I strongly recommend purchasing one of three global plans. Just call them and make sure it covers the destinations you will be at. They will warn you if it not covered by text messages in port but you always want to be prepared ahead of time.

Hope this helps,

Source: http://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/international/roaming.html?tab=4

Edited by josephcooper7

• 2 weeks later...

There is a free app that we have used often when traveling in the Caribbean and Europe. It i called WhatsApp. You download it to your phone. You need to have the family members and friends download it also. You can text free to them and call. You need to have a wifi connection. We have called our kids many times. Of course, they are better responding when you text.

Nancy

There's a starbucks in town. Do they offer free wifi like the ones in the US do? We would be stopping in for a drink anyways...

I visited that Starbucks in March, and they do not have wifi.

• 2 months later...