How about brewers bay vs. Cane garden bay

cruiseawaits

Tons of threads here with pros and cons of all the beaches. Bottom line -CGB will be very crowded and has several beach bars and also waterspots, Brewers will not be so crowded and has one beach bar. Taxi to both is the same price, $24pp RT for 2 ppl, $16pp RT for 3 or more ppl. Good snorkeling at Brewers, not so much at CGB

Edited by blue_water

Just got back from our cruise and we visited Brewers Bay. Loved it!!! I hate the busy & congested beaches, so Brewers was perfect for us.

Small restaurant/bar on site (try the fish burgers or fish tacos - AWESOME), beautiful beach & water and decent snorkeling.

Pictures:

529520_10152615955165651_1960732866_n.jpg

582593_10152615956040651_11274467_n.jpg

Josiah's Bay north of Brewer's is even quieter and there's a restaurant/bar a short walk up the hill. But for someone looking for the nicest beaches on Tortola you will want to go to Smuggler's Cove on lower Belmont Rd or Long Bay (Beef Island). No amenities at either so grab an excellent baguette sub and beer/wine at te French Deli on the way. But gorgeous sand and water and SC offers excellent snorkeling.

We were in Tortola the first week of Feb. and took a tour that dropped us off at Cane Garden. Found the beach to be very nice but really quite busy the next time we visit Tortola we will deffinatly be going to Brewers Bay. Just a side note anybody who is worried about the roads getting to these beachs don't have to worry as the trip there isn't bad at all.

Thanks Lucky. Yes the roads are in good shape, you'll see small rocks and mud/dirt at the bottom of a hill along the road when it rains but nothing to worry about unless there's a monsoon. The hills and switchbacks are steep for some but easy to drive once you try it. And CGB is a nice beach, just a busy one. Brewer's and Smuggler's are nice alternative options when CGB fills up.

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Water, I know CGB can be crowded when cruise ships are in town, and I don't have a problem being on a crowded beach, but I looked at the cruise ship schedule for the day we're there, and there will only be one other ship there along with us (smaller Thomson ship). With only two ships in port that day, could CGB still be possibly overcrowded with cruisers? I'd like to go to that beach, since it has many of the amenities we want to have available, but at the same time, Brewer's Bay sounds nice, with limited amenities and a lot less crowded.

caribbean dreamer yes, unfortunately CGB will be at least somewhat crowded between Big Banana and Myett's where the chair rentals are. Even one typical-size cruise ship can make it that way because CGB has all of the amenities that you want as you so correctly stated. You can walk to the cemetery area and beyond for less ppl but the prime area is around Myett's and the other beach bars.

I can't say for sure of course, but we would plan on another beach for a nice confortabe beach day, and we would choose Smuggler's while staying on the island because we have the time to grab a cooler and drive there. But Brewer's is a much better choice for you because you have Nicole's as well as Icis Villas just up the hill.

Tons of threads here with pros and cons of all the beaches. Bottom line -CGB will be very crowded and has several beach bars and also waterspots, Brewers will not be so crowded and has one beach bar. Taxi to both is the same price, $24pp RT for 2 ppl, $16pp RT for 3 or more ppl. Good snorkeling at Brewers, not so much at CGB

Agree 100%

caribbean dreamer yes, unfortunately CGB will be at least somewhat crowded between Big Banana and Myett's where the chair rentals are. Even one typical-size cruise ship can make it that way because CGB has all of the amenities that you want as you so correctly stated. You can walk to the cemetery area and beyond for less ppl but the prime area is around Myett's and the other beach bars.

I can't say for sure of course, but we would plan on another beach for a nice confortabe beach day, and we would choose Smuggler's while staying on the island because we have the time to grab a cooler and drive there. But Brewer's is a much better choice for you because you have Nicole's as well as Icis Villas just up the hill.

I've read quite a few threads here as well as recommendations you've given, regarding the Tortola beaches. I'm going to talk to my BF, and see what he thinks about going to Brewer's Bay. Smuggler's Cove sounds very nice, but since they don't have as many amenities that we'd like, Brewer's Bay sounds like the place to be on that day. Thank you (and others) for your honest opinions..... we'll be down there in 17 days. :D

Edited by Caribbean_Dreamer37

No problem. I think you'll be happy with either CGB or Brewer's if you're not snorkeling as they are both nice beaches. We've stayed in CGB when a train of safari taxis dropped hundreds of cruisers off from 1 ship because it's the main place to go other than the Baths on Virgin Gorda. You want to avoid the chance of having thast kind of experience. I would agree that Brewer's will be your best choice, just a beautiful beach and bay with enough amenities for you to be comfortable.

Tortola is my favorite place to stay and I can't imagine a better day than you'll have in 17 days. I'm jealous! :p :D :p

No problem. I think you'll be happy with either CGB or Brewer's if you're not snorkeling as they are both nice beaches. We've stayed in CGB when a train of safari taxis dropped hundreds of cruisers off from 1 ship because it's the main place to go other than the Baths on Virgin Gorda. You want to avoid the chance of having thast kind of experience. I would agree that Brewer's will be your best choice, just a beautiful beach and bay with enough amenities for you to be comfortable.

Tortola is my favorite place to stay and I can't imagine a better day than you'll have in 17 days. I'm jealous! :p :D :p

Being able to enjoy a BVI beach for the first time will be that much better, if it's not too crowded.... want it to be more relaxing in paradise.

I was hoping to get to Jost Van Dyke's White Bay, but the cruise ship's tickets are sold out, and due to time, I don't want to risk taking another boat over. Next time we take a land vacation to the Virgin Islands, we'll take the ferries to JVD. We also plan to visit the Baths next time.

We also stay on the East End of STT. Next visit to STT I would take a look at Daydreamer out of the Sugar Bay Resort. Looks like a great way to take a nice daysail and also see both Great Harbor and White Bay. Pricier than the $75 ferry but a nice day. And yes the Baths are worth a visit next trip to the BVI.

We also stay on the East End of STT. Next visit to STT I would take a look at Daydreamer out of the Sugar Bay Resort. Looks like a great way to take a nice daysail and also see both Great Harbor and White Bay. Pricier than the $75 ferry but a nice day. And yes the Baths are worth a visit next trip to the BVI.

My BF wants to go with CGB during the cruise, just to see what it's all about (even after I told him about cruise passenger crowds). We've been on crowded beaches before, so we'll see how this turns out. We won't stay in the same spot the entire time on the beach, but I'm looking forward to having a Painkiller. Thanks again.

Edited by Caribbean_Dreamer37

You'll enjoy it. I recommend the cheeseburger at Stanley's Welcome Bar or their fish tacos, both excellent. Tony and the girls are very nice. This is where the famous tire swing was in the old pictures before a hurricane took it out. Also purported to be the home of the cheeseburger in paradise from when JB's boat broke down quite awhile back. Who knows...? But we ate there everyday while staying at Myett's!

We might need to go to CGB too if we can't get the excursion to Jost that is sold out online.

Question: How early should we try to get there to get a chair in a good spot and beat some of the crowds?

Not gonna happen. You could get your own taxi if possible, but the taxis will be filling up with folks heading to CGB and they won't want to take just you. That's not to say you won't find a sedan or van taxi that will whisk you there. But the point is there is not a good spot once the safari taxis arrive, you will be part of your cruisemates crowd.

You'll enjoy it. I recommend the cheeseburger at Stanley's Welcome Bar or their fish tacos, both excellent. Tony and the girls are very nice. This is where the famous tire swing was in the old pictures before a hurricane took it out. Also purported to be the home of the cheeseburger in paradise from when JB's boat broke down quite awhile back. Who knows...? But we ate there everyday while staying at Myett's!

If I'm hungry by late morning, we'll definitely go to Stanley's, and I for sure want a good Painkiller with lunch. I can't get to the Soggy Dollar Bar, so someone's gotta have one at CGB.

We might need to go to CGB too if we can't get the excursion to Jost that is sold out online.

Question: How early should we try to get there to get a chair in a good spot and beat some of the crowds?

Jadehenry you could take an early taxi and get a spot, others may take a tour first and arrive later so it will get busier late morning. The area from Myett's toward the cemetery will be less-crowded because the chair rentals are in the other direction from Myett's (toward the other bars). If you like laying on the sand you have more options than those renting chairs. But it may not be that busy if just one smaller ship is in...

If I'm hungry by late morning, we'll definitely go to Stanley's, and I for sure want a good Painkiller with lunch. I can't get to the Soggy Dollar Bar, so someone's gotta have one at CGB.

I'm sure all the bars have their version (Myett's, Stanley's, the Elms, Rymer's, Big Banana, and Quito's). The Legend is named after one of Quito's songs and is also good (and strong:p)

I'm sure all the bars have their version (Myett's, Stanley's, the Elms, Rymer's, Big Banana, and Quito's). The Legend is named after one of Quito's songs and is also good (and strong:p)

That day can't get here fast enough.... but then again, once we're on Tortola, there will only be 3 days left of the cruise. :(

I know the feeling...I can't wait until we can get back and spend a couple weeks between VG and Tortola. It's my favorite spot on earth, but a bit of a sacrifice for my wife as she prefers hotels in Mexico and other spots. And I've promised her a Panama Canal cruise for years. So we'll be doing a couple weeks in Puerto Vallarta in May, and the canal cruise in Feb. but I'll find a way to get back to the BVI in the spring of '14! Man that's a long way off...

;) :D ;)