Cruise train from Harwich to Liverpool station in London

Apparently there is a cruise train from Harwich International Port to Liverpool station in London that is operated by One Railway. There web site does not seem to post the fare or say if a reservation is needed. Has anyone used this cruise train? Do you remember the fare and if a reservation is needed. Thanks so much for your help

• 3 weeks later...
Unless something funny happens when you click that link, it should take you to a thread called Transfer London to Harwich, which is all about that topic. The link's working properly for me at the moment.

I still do not see the thread-could you post on it?

I am not seeing any links. all your post says is "this link". Maybe it is the settings on my computer????????

Try this (if you're using Internet Explorer on a PC):-

• In the browser's menu at the top of the window, go to Tools then Options.
  • Click on the Advanced tab.
  • Scroll down through the "Browsing" section until you reach the options for Underline Links.
  • Click the radio button for "Always".
  • Then click OK at the bottom of that dialog box.

Is that any better?

Try this (if you're using Internet Explorer on a PC):-
  • In the browser's menu at the top of the window, go to Tools then Options.
  • Click on the Advanced tab.
  • Scroll down through the "Browsing" section until you reach the options for Underline Links.
  • Click the radio button for "Always".
  • Then click OK at the bottom of that dialog box.

Is that any better?

I answered you on the Baltics. It worked. I am just not used to it looking that way. I am used to links being a bunch of numbers-but yours worked-I just thought you were saying "this thread" and after it was supposed to be a link. Obviously I am not very computer savvy HUH? DUH........ Sorry!

We have taken this train many times. You do not need reservations. It has been a few years since we took it so I dont remember the fare. I dont remember it being very expensive. I do believe that you can buy the roundtrip fare, instead of having to buy it each time. Do try to get on the train early though, Most people have a lot of bags and the luggage areas fill up fast. Make sure that you get the train that is non stop to the port. They do have another one but it stops somewhere and you have to change trains. If you take the non stop it is really great. Drops you off right at the ship. When you get off the ship the train is right there waiting for you. Hope this helps you out. If you find the website please post it. I do need to see what the train times are again. If I find it first I will do the same.

• 2 months later...

My husband and I took the train from Liverpool to Harwich. We asked for the "cruise train" and they had no idea what we were talking about so I showed them what I had printed from their website. They had never seen ithis. So, there is not a special cruise train. There are hourly trains to Harwich. You can't miss the stop because the train we were on ended there. There is plenty of room and and it is so easy. You get off the train and you walk to your ship. There are elevators!! No going up and down steps.

My husband and I took the train from Liverpool to Harwich.
I have to give this bit of trans-Atlantic advice from time to time: In the UK, do not drop the ends of road names off them.

The train journey being discussed here is actually Liverpool Street station in London.

If you ask about a journey from "Liverpool" station to Harwich, you will be told about something starting in a city over 200 miles to the northwest of London.

And even if you're just talking about roads in London, take "Commercial" as an example. Commercial Street and Commercial Road start in the same place, but one goes east and the other goes north-west from there.

The fare is around $32, I don't remember exactly what it was since we had a LondonPlus BritRail pass which does work for Harwich trips as does regular BritRail passes.

The train left this season at 12:05 from Liverpool Station and returns at 9:30a on the day the Jewel of the Seas docks. (don't know about other ships) It is non-stop service and there is plenty of room for luggage since the train is not very full. Since the station (Harwich Int'l) is at the dock, you have a very short walk with luggage and you can find porters if needed.

The strangest thing is that this service is not advertised anywhere on the One Railway website, the only confirmation we had was after emailing their customer service, that yes they did have a train. It does get posted on the board as the 'boat train'. You would think the railroad would publicize this more to get more customers ??

We found it to be a very pleasant experience and would definitely do it again. Especially compared to transfers that involve a bus -- this was far more fun.

I don't know if it is the best way, but I use the German Bahn website to plan rail journeys. http://www.reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en . It shows direct jouneys from London Liverpool St to Harwich International at 07:18, 08:18, 09:18, etc., plus an odd departure at 12:05. I don't know anything about a cruise train, but there seems to be plenty of opportunity to make the journey by rail.

The German site will not sell me tickets or give me prices for journeys in the UK, although it asks for my age to determine the price. Odd.

I do not know if this link will work for the results of the travel search. http://*****.com/yhzrp8 .

• 10 months later...
Apparently there is a cruise train from Harwich International Port to Liverpool station in London that is operated by One Railway. There web site does not seem to post the fare or say if a reservation is needed. Has anyone used this cruise train? Do you remember the fare and if a reservation is needed. Thanks so much for your help

9/8/2007 Reply

There is a train from Liverpool Station called the BOAT TRAIN that goes

directly to Harwich cruise ship dock. You do not need a reservation and the

cost is approximately $37.75 USD round trip per person. This train leaves the

station around noon. It is the only train that goes directly to the dock non-stop. All the others include transferring trains. The last time that I took it

was in 2004 so the fare might be more now. If you need more information,

drop me a line.

Mrs. Betty Schnittgen

Schnittgen@aol.com

It is the only train that goes directly to the dock non-stop. All the others include transferring trains.
This is no longer generally true. There are now plenty of direct trains from London Liverpool Street to Harwich International that do not involve a change of trains, although the trains will stop on the way and are therefore a little slower than the non-stop special cruise train.

The main exception is Sundays, when it is usually necessary to change at Manningtree (as in the old days).

And: Welcome back to CC, Schnittgen!

http://www.onerailway.com/templates/Generic.aspx?id=3598

special trai times to & from Harwich / Liverpool st Station

Archived