Ketchikan and Icy Strait excursion recommendations?

PixiTrix

I have a land tour prior to our cruise (Denali and Kenai). I have a whale watching trip booked through Harv and Marv in Juneau. I have the train in Skagway. My last ports to figure out are Ketchikan and Icy Strait. Looking for suggestions for each that are mid to low cost (no flightseeing for example).

I saw the post about the lumberjack show and also looked at the Deadliest Catch boat. I am kind of "meh" on both - which is funny, because I have watched almost every season of Deadliest Catch.

Also trying to keep it mid to low price and mild/mod activity level.

I have a land tour prior to our cruise (Denali and Kenai). I have a whale watching trip booked through Harv and Marv in Juneau. I have the train in Skagway. My last ports to figure out are Ketchikan and Icy Strait. Looking for suggestions for each that are mid to low cost (no flightseeing for example).

I saw the post about the lumberjack show and also looked at the Deadliest Catch boat. I am kind of "meh" on both - which is funny, because I have watched almost every season of Deadliest Catch.

Also trying to keep it mid to low price and mild/mod activity level.

Ketchikan. The city bus system is efficient and easy to use; you can catch it close to the dock. Take the bus out to Totem Bight State Park (free admission). Lots of totem poles and a clan house. It's peaceful there and right on the water. Heading back into town, get off the bus near Creek Street (cute shopping area with old buildings built on pilings over the creek), visit Dolly's House (formerly of ill repute). It's an easy walk back to the ship through town.

Icy Strait Point. I did a whale-watching trip when I was there, but if you don't want to see more whales (or go zip-lining), there is not a lot to do there, if I remember rightly. Perhaps someone else will weigh in with other ideas, but me, hey, I would go see some more whales!

Well, that was exactly my debate...more whale watching or not at Icy Strait. The other Celebrity excursions are brown bear search (a little pricey), ATV tour, tram (another personal vehicle, but not an ATV)/tribal dance tour, fishing (stream and boat), and "Alaska's Wildest Kitchen."

One CC review I read of the tribal dance said they try to get you to participate. I am a shy person and would NOT want to get up and dance!

In Ketchikan, among other things, we enjoyed the 2-hr walk in Tongass Rain Forest-- nice trees, waterfall, stream, etc. I believe that the trail head is only about a 15-min. (vehicle-ride) from the port.

I would be surprised if the tribal dancers in Hoonah were pushy about joining them: could be wrong, but I'd be appalled if they were.

Hoonah is the jackpot for seeing bears fishing for salmon, by road access. I NEVER recommend the ship excursion for this, always independent only. You need to be on the move with a skilled knowledgeable guide. Not just run back and forth to a platform like the cruise ship tour does. I highly recommend Tecck Outfitters.

The "Icy Strait Point", area is very well done, with an informative cannery museum, scenic loop trail. It's also a nice stroll into Hoonah, a couple miles round trip, all along the marina. You can go as far as you want, then turn back. There isn't a lot in the "town", but walking around can give you an excellent insight into a very different way of life perhaps/

As for Ketchikan, Totem Bight is a gem, in my opinion and a bargain opportunity. IF of interest, repost and I will give you specific details. If you go there, walk next door and take a look at Potlatch park. chance to see some totem carvers, if working. http://www.potlatchpark.com/

Hoonah is the jackpot for seeing bears fishing for salmon, by road access. I NEVER recommend the ship excursion for this, always independent only. You need to be on the move with a skilled knowledgeable guide. Not just run back and forth to a platform like the cruise ship tour does. I highly recommend Tecck Outfitters.

The "Icy Strait Point", area is very well done, with an informative cannery museum, scenic loop trail. It's also a nice stroll into Hoonah, a couple miles round trip, all along the marina. You can go as far as you want, then turn back. There isn't a lot in the "town", but walking around can give you an excellent insight into a very different way of life perhaps/

As for Ketchikan, Totem Bight is a gem, in my opinion and a bargain opportunity. IF of interest, repost and I will give you specific details. If you go there, walk next door and take a look at Potlatch park. chance to see some totem carvers, if working. http://www.potlatchpark.com/

HI,,,

would love to see the bear fishing for fish... how do I find more about that

thanks

the bus out to Totem Bight is a budget friendly option .... the totems are fascinating and the location near the water is beautiful. This link has info on the Bight and also includes a 'walking tour map' for downtown Ketchikan.

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/things-to-do-in-alaska.html

When a ship stops in ISP and Juneau, many people go whale watching in ISP because there are many other sightseeing options available to them in Juneau. A budget friendly option in Juneau is the $20 RT shuttle out to Mendenhall Glacier where you can follow a trail out to the waterfall.

SILVERDO: Remember that you can't see bears fishing for fish if the fish aren't running. E.g. our cruise next year is Mid-late May and the salmon aren't running then, so there's little likelihood that we'll see bears fishing for fish. If witnessing that is important, hopefully you'll be cruising at a better time for you. We saw a lot of that last time in Alaska, and it really is a wonderful and memorable experience.

SILVERDO: Remember that you can't see bears fishing for fish if the fish aren't running. E.g. our cruise next year is Mid-late May and the salmon aren't running then, so there's little likelihood that we'll see bears fishing for fish. If witnessing that is important, hopefully you'll be cruising at a better time for you. We saw a lot of that last time in Alaska, and it really is a wonderful and memorable experience.

THANKS... bummer we will be there may 27 til june 3.... ..

THANKS... bummer we will be there may 27 til june 3.... ..

You may still want to try and see some browns, if you aren't going to Denali? I've seen bears in this timeframe.

I suggest you might want to email/call and find out what may be available. I mentioned, I highly recommend Teeck Outfitters.

The first time in Ketchikan we used Ketchikan Taxi Cab Tours and one of our stops was Totem Bite and Potlatch. The second time we took a taxi to Saxman Village and took the full tour. We saw the native dancing and there was a master carver in the carving shed. The cruises say that their tour is the only way to see the dances but they are wrong. I believe that we paid $6 per way for the taxi and $42 per person for the full tour. If you are interested in Saxman on your own, email info@capefoxtours.com and get the price fro walk-ups. Keep the email because the cashier, at least when we went, didn't know the price until I showed her the email.

All three places were exceptional, but Saxman was the one I liked the best.