carrying booking away from TA to Cunard

melb1988

hi all!

So for the first time ever, I have used a TA to book my upcoming cruise on QM2. I must admit that i am not enjoying the whole "middle man" thing and am missing being able to deal with Cunard directly in regards to making adjustments to my booking eg: upgrading room type etc. It has been very annoying actually as I'm not happy with my TA at all. Does anyone know if in most circumstances a booking can be transferred from a TA back to Cunard so that I the customer can control my own booking from now on? obviously all TA's have different rules. But just looking to see what you guys think based on previous experiences etc. Im just so sick of having to go through my TA instead of dealing with Cunard myself as my TA keeps making mistakes and isn't very helpful.

Cheers all

I haven't used a TA but I would just contact Cunard direct. Explain you are not happy and want to deal with them directly. I don't see that it matters except the TA will be getting commission. Just do it and see what happens. Remember you are the customer.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I haven't used a TA but I would just contact Cunard direct. Explain you are not happy and want to deal with them directly. I don't see that it matters except the TA will be getting commission. Just do it and see what happens. Remember you are the customer.

I will never use a TA again! when I have called cunard in regards to my booking they refuse to do anything unless my TA tells them too.. it is very annoying. even a simple name change adjustment (due to miss spelling) could not be done through Cunard directly even though I called them to make the change, they made me call my TA and ask them to make the change which they then proceeded to do incorrectly yet again! I feel i can do a better job of managing my own booking than what my "qualified" TA can! At the moment the latest drama is that I'm trying to upgrade my room type.. in the past a simple call to cunard has seen it taken care of in less than 5 minutes. With a TA its another story, they tell you they will call Cunard when they get the chance and discuss with them, which isn't good enough as sometimes these thing do sell out quickly you know.. :rolleyes:

I just want to control my own booking now! :(

I will never use a TA again! when I have called cunard in regards to my booking they refuse to do anything unless my TA tells them too.. it is very annoying. even a simple name change adjustment (due to miss spelling) could not be done through Cunard directly even though I called them to make the change, they made me call my TA and ask them to make the change which they then proceeded to do incorrectly yet again! I feel i can do a better job of managing my own booking than what my "qualified" TA can! At the moment the latest drama is that I'm trying to upgrade my room type.. in the past a simple call to cunard has seen it taken care of in less than 5 minutes. With a TA its another story, they tell you they will call Cunard when they get the chance and discuss with them, which isn't good enough as sometimes these thing do sell out quickly you know.. :rolleyes:

I just want to control my own booking now! :(

Well I might be tempted to tell Cunard that this is spoiling your whole experience and that it is having a knock on effect on how you see Cunard. If they are prepared to to allow the TA to undermine their brand that is up to them. In other words complain and complain loudly both with the TA and Cunard.

It is possible to cut out the TA but as I understand it, you mad a contract with them, so they must agree to let you go. If you make your case, I imagine they will be glad to do less - especially if you are making lots of changes.

I usually use a TA, but she is excellent, a VERY experienced cruiser herself and worth her weight in gold.

It is possible to cut out the TA but as I understand it, you mad a contract with them, so they must agree to let you go. If you make your case, I imagine they will be glad to do less - especially if you are making lots of changes.

I usually use a TA, but she is excellent, a VERY experienced cruiser herself and worth her weight in gold.

Yes just the point I thought, it's easy to forget that just as when you make a purchase in a shop you also make a contract with a TA.

I've used TAs in the past but recently dealt directly with Cunard. You are fortunate to have a good one.

David.

hi all!

So for the first time ever, I have used a TA to book my upcoming cruise on QM2. I must admit that i am not enjoying the whole "middle man" thing and am missing being able to deal with Cunard directly in regards to making adjustments to my booking eg: upgrading room type etc. It has been very annoying actually as I'm not happy with my TA at all. Does anyone know if in most circumstances a booking can be transferred from a TA back to Cunard so that I the customer can control my own booking from now on? obviously all TA's have different rules. But just looking to see what you guys think based on previous experiences etc. Im just so sick of having to go through my TA instead of dealing with Cunard myself as my TA keeps making mistakes and isn't very helpful.

Cheers all

Usually, Cunard requires more special training for TA's to handle their bookings. That's what happened to mine. He was specialized in Celebrity & Princess. Surprising about Princess, as they're part of Carnival Corp. When booking our Q-6, we changed our room as it was right next to Commodore Club. Our TA was out of town(on, you guessed it, a cruise)We were able to get Cunard to actually change our room.

To transfer a booking made by a TA, you must have the TA who made the booking make transfer to Cunard. The TA will probably not be happy because they're losing commission and so they may give you an argument. They may also require you cancel the booking and rebook with Cunard directly.

Cunard might not really be very helpful in this process because they DO NOT want to get between you and your TA.

Some TA's are great and some a NOT and should never be in the business!!!

I only book with TA when there is a great deal being offered, otherwise it is usually much better booking directly. Same goes for Hotels and Airlines.

I had a bad experience with a TA a few years back. I desperately wanted to transfer our booking away from them. In the end the TA agreed I could do this but I had to pay a penalty. I was so upset with them that we paid.

I had a bad experience with a TA a few years back. I desperately wanted to transfer our booking away from them. In the end the TA agreed I could do this but I had to pay a penalty. I was so upset with them that we paid.

I am struggling to understand how these people are getting away with this. You ask them to meet your needs by them booking your holiday/cruise and sundries, they will be paid commission from the travel company out of the monies you pay to the travel company. They then provide a very poor service and do nothing to rectify the situation; the travel company do nothing to help you or protect their reputation? how is this a good business plan going forward?

You have already posted on here, good. Plaster it all over Cunard's Twitter, Facebook, Travel Advisor and the TA social media sites, sit back and wait😉

Usually, Cunard requires more special training for TA's to handle their bookings. That's what happened to mine. He was specialized in Celebrity & Princess. Surprising about Princess, as they're part of Carnival Corp. When booking our Q-6, we changed our room as it was right next to Commodore Club. Our TA was out of town(on, you guessed it, a cruise)We were able to get Cunard to actually change our room.

Keith, just from my personal experience when booking a Cunard cruise (trip, voyage, whatever you want to call it) any travel agent can make the booking. No special training required.

The travel agents I've used in the past had never sailed on a Cunard ship, and had absolutely no idea about the ship or the current deck plans. But then again, neither did the person I spoke to at the so-called Cunard reservation desk staffed by Princess personnel, who told me I could have a glass fronted balcony on the QM2 on Deck Five :eek:

Caveat emptor.

For my first cruises on Diamond princess I tried a TA, but gave up when I asked what was the difference between a suite and a normal balcony room? and all she said was "oh its really the same thing just on a higher deck" :o Fantastic knowledge of cruise ships she had! a real keeper... lol

Plaster it all over Cunard's Twitter, Facebook, Travel Advisor and the TA social media sites, sit back and wait

I would be cautious about what you post on Cunard's Twitter or FB pages about a TA. I understand the frustration of woking with travel agents, I've been there.

However Cunard partners closely with many travel agencies (some very big online agenices I cannot mention here) and Cunard wouldn't allow you to post anything on thier pages that would jepordize a relationship with an agency.

Post it on your own social media pages and other sites but don't be surpirised if Cunard removed anything negative about TA from their social media pages. They do rely on them for revenue.

hi all!

Cheers all

I have never booked direct with Cunard. T.A. used to give you 10-15% discount on the fare until Cunard reduced the commission they gave T.A. so that made the fare more expensive. I think this was done to take the bookings away from T.A. I have used 2-3 different T.A. and have never been yet been disappointed, most times you get the same person to deal with all your business.

I would be cautious about what you post on Cunard's Twitter or FB pages about a TA. I understand the frustration of woking with travel agents, I've been there.

However Cunard partners closely with many travel agencies (some very big online agenices I cannot mention here) and Cunard wouldn't allow you to post anything on thier pages that would jepordize a relationship with an agency.

Post it on your own social media pages and other sites but don't be surpirised if Cunard removed anything negative about TA from their social media pages. They do rely on them for revenue.

Provided it is not abusive you can put what you like. Yes they have the right to remove it off their own Facebook page but they cannot stop you from posting on third party sights like this and Twitter and any other social media.

I had a problem with BT, same thing lack of a good service, after many many months of phoning and wasting my time trying to get it sorted I decided to complain on Twitter hey presto within the hour they were in contact with me and sorted the problem. I learnt a very valuable lesson, BT like many other large competitive companies are competing for our hard earned cash and publication of poor service whether that be a Travel Company or Travel Agent is very bad for business. If Cunard wish to sacrifice their good name in order to protect a TA then so be it, but it won't happen because either they will sort it out or push the TA to sort it. Whilst it is hidden away on a one to one basis nothing will happen.

Keith, just from my personal experience when booking a Cunard cruise (trip, voyage, whatever you want to call it) any travel agent can make the booking. No special training required.

The travel agents I've used in the past had never sailed on a Cunard ship, and had absolutely no idea about the ship or the current deck plans. But then again, neither did the person I spoke to at the so-called Cunard reservation desk staffed by Princess personnel, who told me I could have a glass fronted balcony on the QM2 on Deck Five :eek:

Caveat emptor.

We were at the tea at the MFA sometime ago in Boston, sponsored by Cunard. The staff were actually from Princess & were trying to interest us in Princess! I think most TA's think Cunard is the same as all the rest. I think there are differences,however. Our TA did have to research the line quite a bit as he was familiar with Princess & Celebrity. As last year we chose Celebrity Eclipse again. Pretty much the same 14 day trip. Any 14 days away from the winter are well spent no matter what line you choose. We found the Eclipse(due to longer trips) has an older demographic. Even older than Cunard we found. We also noted the formality of the dresscodes are ridgedly enforced in the dining room. Outside of the MDR,the rest of the ship is a bit more casual & on casual nights the code was dress shirt & slacks. Some took that as to polo shirts,etc. At least noone with shorts was permitted in the MDR after 6PM. The staff really refused many pax who were dressed improperly. We'll see how this trip compares to last year's.