Mediterranean Weather in Dec/January

I see you are new to the boards...... here's a tip.

Give us a little more information with your questions. (Not only this thread but others you are vague...)

You leave Barcelona and then go where ???????

Europe/Med is a big place...... northern area will be colder than more southern ports.....

Your best bet is to go to weather.com Click on the world link at the top. Enter city and country - when that page comes up go to "averages". This will give you the average temps for every month of the year.

We were in Barcelona post cruise last Dec. 2nd - It was fairly chilly during the day.....cold at night. Our cruise began on Nov. 23 and ended Dec. 2nd. We took pants (didnt pack a single pair of shorts - didnt need em) long sleeve t's or shirts, pullovers (to layer) and we each had coats. I had a pea coat and dh had suede jacket coat. We also had mufflers for walking around Rome and Barcelona at night pre and post cruise. The days were warmer and some places I only used a sweater and even times I carried it. On the ship was easier as we were inside most of the time at night.

You are so right and I am sorry. Your info was good and what I was expecting.

This cruise is from Barcelona on Dec 21, Rome, Naples, Alexandria, Rhodes, Izmir, Athens, and Malta.

I haven't cruised in at about 10 years and especially not in another country.

Thanks for the help!!!

You might also want to check wunderground.com/tripplanner. There will be a historic list of temps for whatever city you want to look up.

I'd dress with layers for fall type weather for the most part. Also consider if you'll be off the ship in the evenings or on a deck.

• 4 weeks later...
You might also want to check wunderground.com/tripplanner. There will be a historic list of temps for whatever city you want to look up.

I'd dress with layers for fall type weather for the most part. Also consider if you'll be off the ship in the evenings or on a deck.

I am looking at cruising on Norwegian Jade, Eastern Med, in Jan 2009 but wonder how cold it is on the ocean. Maybe a balcony will be too chilly. What do yoy think?

PS: I have now cruised so many times since 2004 that I cannot remember every single one!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD CRUISE AND I AM NOW ELIGIBLE FOR PAST PASSENGER DISCOUNTS FOR 5 DIFFERENT CRUISE LINES!

I am looking at cruising on Norwegian Jade, Eastern Med, in Jan 2009 but wonder how cold it is on the ocean. Maybe a balcony will be too chilly. What do yoy think?

PS: I have now cruised so many times since 2004 that I cannot remember every single one!!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A BAD CRUISE AND I AM NOW ELIGIBLE FOR PAST PASSENGER DISCOUNTS FOR 5 DIFFERENT CRUISE LINES!

with all your benefits you still can be cold in January. Not a great cruising time in the Med except on the cheap :mad:

I have spent nearly 8 years living on the Med.. the simple answer is you cannot tell. For the last four Christmas we, or our neighbours, have had Christmas lunch on the terrace, often in shorts. On the other hand we recall snow on boxing day in Malta in 1971 (that must be, say, 8-9 years ago???) to the general delight and amazement of the local ankle snappers and rugrats.

Basically, you cannot forecast, but I would avoid November and late Feb-early March as far as the eastern Med goes, which is our current parish.

Rgds

New Salt

with all your benefits you still can be cold in January. Not a great cruising time in the Med except on the cheap :mad:

I disagree. If you are cruising to sightsee, it is an excellent time. Few crowds and weather that doesn't feel like an oven. :)

However, if you go expecting a beach vakay with Caribbean-like temperatures, you will likely be disappointed.

I disagree. If you are cruising to sightsee, it is an excellent time. Few crowds and weather that doesn't feel like an oven. :)

However, if you go expecting a beach vakay with Caribbean-like temperatures, you will likely be disappointed.

"Cheapo"-cruised AK inside passage last year in May and took an inside room. Good idea as prolonged outside on public decks was plenty.

I have already checked port avg temps. Just wondering in the open sea air is cooler during the day on this "Cheapo" med cruise. IS A BALCONY ROOM WORTH THE EXTRA COST? I like to sit on the balcony and read, drink coffee and wine and watch the sky. WILL I FREEZE?

"Cheapo"-cruised AK inside passage last year in May and took an inside room. Good idea as prolonged outside on public decks was plenty.

I have already checked port avg temps. Just wondering in the open sea air is cooler during the day on this "Cheapo" med cruise. IS A BALCONY ROOM WORTH THE EXTRA COST? I like to sit on the balcony and read, drink coffee and wine and watch the sky. WILL I FREEZE?

I won't lie, it could be chilly, especially at night. We had a balcony for our November Med cruise in 2006 (Eastern Med and Egypt) and used it a surprising amount -- we also had uncommonly good weather, and several of the days we were in warmer climes (Egypt, Mykonos, etc). Your mileage may vary.

Save your money and use it towards another cruise. Dec/Jan can be VERY cold in parts of the Mes. specially more so when at sea. Also gets dark very early which makes it colder too. Europeans get the cheaper cruises at this time.

I have spent nearly 8 years living on the Med.. the simple answer is you cannot tell. For the last four Christmas we, or our neighbours, have had Christmas lunch on the terrace, often in shorts. On the other hand we recall snow on boxing day in Malta in 1971 (that must be, say, 8-9 years ago???) to the general delight and amazement of the local ankle snappers and rugrats.

Basically, you cannot forecast, but I would avoid November and late Feb-early March as far as the eastern Med goes, which is our current parish.

Rgds

New Salt

Im leaving in two weeks for my cruise, why is Nov a bad time?

Dorene

Im leaving in two weeks for my cruise, why is Nov a bad time?

Dorene

It's not just November, it is winter generally. It can be cold, the seas may be rougher and daylight hours will be a lot shorter than other times of the year. That said if you are going for sightseeing, then the cities will not be so packed as the summer. It also depends what your ports of call are - North italy could be chilly but Alexandria will be much warmer.

My preference for the med is May or September as it' not as expensive or hot as the height of the summer. Coming from Scotland I get more than my share of chilly days so definitely don't want them when I'm on holiday.

Archived