So many options...help please!

hunterjackson

We have been to roatan twice now.

The first time, it was just my wife and I on our honeymoon. Went on a tour to Turquoise Bay and visited some other places as well.

Last time it was my wife, DS (1 at the time) and I. Took a private shuttle to West Bay and spent the day on the beach and at Infinity Bay eating lunch, then went back to town to do some shopping.

This time, in Feb, it will be my wife, DS (4.5 at the time), DD (2.5), and I.

We are looking for fun, quiet, low crowds, with access to a pool or few waves in the ocean. Must have good food readily available. We don't really care about snorkeling or diving, or any kayaking or such.

We would like a place to hide away from the crowds with our kids, enjoy the beach, pool, and eat some good food for a few hours then head back to town and do some shopping etc if it is safe at that time.

Do y'all have any thoughts?

Little French Key? Club Natale? Infinity Bay (do they have a day pass with pool access?) Or something I am missing?

I greatly appreciate it!

Edited by hunterjackson

We have been to roatan twice now.

The first time, it was just my wife and I on our honeymoon. Went on a tour to Turquoise Bay and visited some other places as well.

Last time it was my wife, DS (1 at the time) and I. Took a private shuttle to West Bay and spent the day on the beach and at Infinity Bay eating lunch, then went back to town to do some shopping.

This time, in Feb, it will be my wife, DS (4.5 at the time), DD (2.5), and I.

We are looking for fun, quiet, low crowds, with access to a pool or few waves in the ocean. Must have good food readily available. We don't really care about snorkeling or diving, or any kayaking or such.

We would like a place to hide away from the crowds with our kids, enjoy the beach, pool, and eat some good food for a few hours then head back to town and do some shopping etc if it is safe at that time.

Do y'all have any thoughts?

Little French Key? Club Natale? Infinity Bay (do they have a day pass with pool access?) Or something I am missing?

I greatly appreciate it!

I'm anxious for someone to provide you some input ;)

In October we're going to Roatan for the 6th time. In May, we were vary disappointed in Bananarama. Now that they work with the cruise lines and Victor Bodden I'm sure their revenue is up... but we won't go back :(

We're also looking for a nice beach that fits your description - I hope someone has some good suggestions and reviews or we might just stay on the ship :confused:

Not sure if you have been to Gumbalimba park but with a 4.5 and 2.5 year old I think you would enjoy it. Pool, beach, beautiful grounds, monkeys, parrots and more. Not sure about the cafe food as we didn't eat there. We visited this park while on our second week-long stay a while back……

Infinity Bay is a privately owned condo complex and their first concern is to their owners and/or renters….. they do sell day passes on a first come first serve basis IF they are not at full occupancy.

You can still eat at the Palapa Bar (on the beach) even without a day pass but no pool use or anything else…..

and………I cannot even imagine going to Roatan and not getting off the ship :eek: Incomprehensibal !!!!!

"and………I cannot even imagine going to Roatan and not getting off the ship Incomprehensibal !!!!!"

I agree!! We enjoy cruising and I can't imagine not getting off the ship. Probably the "weakest" port I've ever been to is Prince Rupert on an Alaskan cruise...not even sure if NCL still goes there.

Ruth

You are right, Prince Rupert was pretttttty weak. However, it was just to satisfy legal requirements and a cute little artsy town.

Roatan is one of our favorite ports. The beauty is unparalleled.

We have not been to Guambalina Park. I will research that.

We were thinking of Little French Key, but since they now work with Carnival...it might be too busy. That is why we were thinking about Infinity Bay. I wonder if any of the operators, Rony or Victor, have any connections at Infinity Bay to get us a day pass.

I appreciate it!

You are right, Prince Rupert was pretttttty weak. However, it was just to satisfy legal requirements and a cute little artsy town.

Roatan is one of our favorite ports. The beauty is unparalleled.

We have not been to Guambalina Park. I will research that.

We were thinking of Little French Key, but since they now work with Carnival...it might be too busy. That is why we were thinking about Infinity Bay. I wonder if any of the operators, Rony or Victor, have any connections at Infinity Bay to get us a day pass.

I appreciate it!

I am not at all sure Infinity would feel any less crowded, it shares a property line with Tabyana which is the beach break for all the cruise ships.

This is a list of the places with pools I know offer day trips for cruisers. Things shift and change on the island, I recommend emailing to confirm and get pricing.

Fantasy Island ~ I have only been down there once, it was ages ago. They have a lagoon much like Parrot Tree. It is not a busy place from what I understand. The reviews suggest the food may not be worth anyone's effort. The snokling is pretty good if one is comfortable swimming the channel to Coco view's "front Yard"

Infinity Bay ~ it is busy being on the premiere beach (West Bay) on the island, they say the food is good, day passes may be 1st come 1st served and am told they are expensive. Very easy access to wonderful reef snorkeling.

Mayan Princess ~ also on the premiere beach (West Bay) on the island, I don't think I have heard any bad things about the food. This web cam shows part of their beach. A short walk down the beach to wonderful reef snorkeling.

Paya Bay ~ East endish of the island, two beaches one feels huge, they have a small dipping pool and all the food I had the week I was there was yummy, basic island fair. It is owned and run by a family which has been on the island for over 200 years. I experienced a wonderful breeze while I was there and NOT a singe bug. They may restrict access some weeks. I did not find the snorkeling either from the beach or by boat all that exciting.

Camp Bay ~ I believe if you eat at their restaurant that will be more than happy to let you play on the beach. One can not see from one end to the other of the beach. I experienced a slope to the water while I was there, the beach itself was a challenge to walk on. The two meals I had were nice. Snorkeling from the shore was not worth getting in the water, I took kayak through the mangroves to the other side of the island.. the snorkeling over there was pretty good.

Turquoise Bay ~ I know very little about this place past one need take a boat to the reef for snorkeling and it is very quiet.

Parrot Tree ~ Again I was down there ages ago, the lagoon is made man, it is quiet. Ya know, I wonder if one need go back to the pool for food and beverage or is there a bar-ish at the lagoon.

Little French Key ~Holy Hannah, the pics on the web site really suggest a person have a look. There are web cams here and here as well. I think I can see a small pool.

Maya Kay ~I have not been to this place either.. there is plenty of info both in these threads and on the web.

Pirate Bay ~ I can not find any current info on this place.. hmm not sure they have a pool either.

Club Natale~ Goodness the pool us open to the sun.. I wonder if that is an older picture. Look at that, this place in the other side of the hill from Mahogany Bay. The beach does not look at all nice..and a walk from the pool area..wonder of there is any food at the beach. I have not been to this place but it doesn't look the least bit inviting to me in the pics, as I said they me be older.

I saw mention the other day Gumbalimba Park has a pool. It is fair close to West Bay.

I truly believe choice on where to go is personal. Happy Hunting, enjoy the island!

I am not at all sure Infinity would feel any less crowded, it shares a property line with Tabyana which is the beach break for all the cruise ships.

This is a list of the places with pools I know offer day trips for cruisers. Things shift and change on the island, I recommend emailing to confirm and get pricing.

Fantasy Island ~ I have only been down there once, it was ages ago. They have a lagoon much like Parrot Tree. It is not a busy place from what I understand. The reviews suggest the food may not be worth anyone's effort. The snokling is pretty good if one is comfortable swimming the channel to Coco view's "front Yard"

Infinity Bay ~ it is busy being on the premiere beach (West Bay) on the island, they say the food is good, day passes may be 1st come 1st served and am told they are expensive. Very easy access to wonderful reef snorkeling.

Mayan Princess ~ also on the premiere beach (West Bay) on the island, I don't think I have heard any bad things about the food. This web cam shows part of their beach. A short walk down the beach to wonderful reef snorkeling.

Paya Bay ~ East endish of the island, two beaches one feels huge, they have a small dipping pool and all the food I had the week I was there was yummy, basic island fair. It is owned and run by a family which has been on the island for over 200 years. I experienced a wonderful breeze while I was there and NOT a singe bug. They may restrict access some weeks. I did not find the snorkeling either from the beach or by boat all that exciting.

Camp Bay ~ I believe if you eat at their restaurant that will be more than happy to let you play on the beach. One can not see from one end to the other of the beach. I experienced a slope to the water while I was there, the beach itself was a challenge to walk on. The two meals I had were nice. Snorkeling from the shore was not worth getting in the water, I took kayak through the mangroves to the other side of the island.. the snorkeling over there was pretty good.

Turquoise Bay ~ I know very little about this place past one need take a boat to the reef for snorkeling and it is very quiet.

Parrot Tree ~ Again I was down there ages ago, the lagoon is made man, it is quiet. Ya know, I wonder if one need go back to the pool for food and beverage or is there a bar-ish at the lagoon.

Little French Key ~Holy Hannah, the pics on the web site really suggest a person have a look. There are web cams here and here as well. I think I can see a small pool.

Maya Kay ~I have not been to this place either.. there is plenty of info both in these threads and on the web.

Pirate Bay ~ I can not find any current info on this place.. hmm not sure they have a pool either.

Club Natale~ Goodness the pool us open to the sun.. I wonder if that is an older picture. Look at that, this place in the other side of the hill from Mahogany Bay. The beach does not look at all nice..and a walk from the pool area..wonder of there is any food at the beach. I have not been to this place but it doesn't look the least bit inviting to me in the pics, as I said they me be older.

I saw mention the other day Gumbalimba Park has a pool. It is fair close to West Bay.

I truly believe choice on where to go is personal. Happy Hunting, enjoy the island!

Thank you for your detailed reply. This should be pinned! This is so very helpful, thank you for taking the time to write this!

For future reference for others, received this email this morning from Infinity Bay on day passes.

"Hello Hunter!

Thanks for your kind words.

We do offer day passes. They are $25 per person and include access to our pool, beach and pool loungers, tables, chairs and umbrellas.

Day passes are issued based on our occupancy level on the day of your visit so please contact me about 1 week before your arrival to confirm.

At your service,

Grace Rizzo-Bodden

Activities Director

Infinity Bay, Roatan"

What an awesome reference :) Thank you VERY much :D

Also, in the spirit of sharing information, I've looked at the Carnival website, and the excursions that will be offered for our RCCL trip. Here's what I've learned:

Carnival offers some type of beach excursion to:

Tabyana

Maya Key

Mayan Princess

Little French Key

Pristine Bay

West Bay Beach Tour (unspecified)

Mahogany Bay (the Carnival Port beach)

RCCL beach excursions offered on our October cruise include:

Tabyana

Maya Key

Pirate Beach (Las Palmas)

There are 3 ships in Roatan when we are there, so our main goal is to find a nice sand beach that is not unduly crowded. This is proving to be a tall order!!

What an awesome reference :) Thank you VERY much :D

Also, in the spirit of sharing information, I've looked at the Carnival website, and the excursions that will be offered for our RCCL trip. Here's what I've learned:

Carnival offers some type of beach excursion to:

Tabyana

Maya Key

Mayan Princess

Little French Key

Pristine Bay

West Bay Beach Tour (unspecified)

Mahogany Bay (the Carnival Port beach)

RCCL beach excursions offered on our October cruise include:

Tabyana

Maya Key

Pirate Beach (Las Palmas)

There are 3 ships in Roatan when we are there, so our main goal is to find a nice sand beach that is not unduly crowded. This is proving to be a tall order!!

Oops, I missed one...

To the RCCL list add: Fantasy Island

Fudge!! I forgot

Bananarama ~ They are also on West Bay beach. This is a party spot, it is always jumpin. The food I have had was standard Americanize island fair (I don't go down for the food). The reef snorkeling is a short walk down the beach. My worry with this place is the congestion, there are many a boat on the water, lounger on the sand and their sea wall. It always feel a bit crowed and claustrophobic to me.

Try making a reservation on their website from mid -November forward to March 1. I couldn't. The dates are blacked out. I would love to be wrong: I'd like to go at end of November.

https://bookings.ihotelier.com/Infinity-Bay-Beach-Resort/bookings.jsp?hotelId=96144&redirect=no

Hmm, I see what you mean... have ya emailed to ask what the what is?

There are several condos on vrbo listed with availability. I wonder if Infinity's inventory is full and booking through vrbo is not.. seems a bit strange.

Edited by Guest 2000

All condos at Infinity Bay are not in the rental pool thru the resort…. some are privately listed on VRBO or Homeaway sites etc….. so the rental pool could be all booked while there are still units available privately….. but I find it hard to believe that every single one is booked from Nov. - March…… but agreed - they simply do not close :D

False alarm - Infinity Bay is not closing for the winter. I received an email from the resort - cut and pasted below. I hope this helps someone else who might check their website.

"Good Morning,

No, I do apologize we are having technical difficulties with our website, We are open for those dates."

False alarm - Infinity Bay is not closing for the winter. I received an email from the resort - cut and pasted below. I hope this helps someone else who might check their website.

"Good Morning,

No, I do apologize we are having technical difficulties with our website, We are open for those dates."

Thank you so much for getting back to the threads. The reason had not occurred to me, thanks oodles!