Roatan suggestions for excursion

jerseygirl226

My husband and I will be cruising to Roatan in August and would love to take a tour...but have read about how unsafe it can be. Can anyone suggest a reputable tour company (I hate cruise excursions...they cattle you in)? We'd like to see the "real" Roatan. We don't need to do the beach thing. Many thanks.

• 1 month later...
My husband and I will be cruising to Roatan in August and would love to take a tour...but have read about how unsafe it can be. Can anyone suggest a reputable tour company (I hate cruise excursions...they cattle you in)? We'd like to see the "real" Roatan. We don't need to do the beach thing. Many thanks.

We just used Garcia Adventures for a full island tour this past Friday. After contacting them through their website, they called us at home to find out what we wanted to do. When they heard that we had been to Roatan over a dozen times on cruise stops, as well as a week on land, they made sure they individualized a tour with places we hadn't been to yet.

We visited a butterfly/hummingbird preserve that also had monkeys, deer, macaws and toucans, Pristine Bay Resort, Oak Ridge mangrove boat tour, the Garifuna community, and lunch at Parrot Tree Plantation.

Of course, if you are first timers to the island, they will do all the usual stops if that is what you want. Again, the tours from Garcia Adventures are individualized to your needs.