Another n00b, from Brooklyn NY & Jersey City NJ

nauticalstar

Hey guys - clearly new to the whole cruising thing. I'm torn between being nervous and excited. I have NEVER left the US, EVER. Neither has my boyfriend!

Anyway, I was curious as to how much the spa/massage treatments cost on board? We'll be on the Norweigan Gem, btw. Will they have pamphlets on board?

Also, has anyone ever used underwater cameras for snorkeling?

Welcome to cruise critic.

Being a little nervous is normal. It will take you about 3 minutes on the ship to forget about the nervous stuff and relax.

You may be able to fond spa prices on the NCL website

Hey guys - clearly new to the whole cruising thing. I'm torn between being nervous and excited. I have NEVER left the US, EVER. Neither has my boyfriend!

Anyway, I was curious as to how much the spa/massage treatments cost on board? We'll be on the Norweigan Gem, btw. Will they have pamphlets on board?

Also, has anyone ever used underwater cameras for snorkeling?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!! :D

The spa/massages on the ship will be a lot more expensive than you will pay on land. HOWEVER they have specials all the time and you will have a cabin full of ads every day listing what and where. A good rule of thumb is that treatments are discounted on PORT DAYS so when everyone is off the ship they can offer lower prices.

Another thing to remember is that there is an 18% gratuity added to any spa service. You don't need to tip on top of that if you don't want to. Where are you sailing? IF you are departing from Barcelona there will be an additional 8% value added tax so be prepared.

For snorkeling last time I cruised I just bought one of those disposable film underwater cameras from Walgreen's (it was on sale even!) and it took pretty good pics. I am not an avid photog so I don't know what your requirements are, but I was happy with what I took on that camera.

If you have any specific questions about the Gem or Norwegian please post them over on the Norwegian board, we are a helpful bunch over there and don't be shy!

I also want to let you know about the Roll Call boards. If you scroll down the main C.C. page you will see the ROLL CALL heading, find Norwegian, and then click on your ship and find your sail date. You can meet others who will be on your sailing and they might have activities scheduled or a Meet & Greet which is always interesting to attend.

I hope you have a wonderful time! ;)

Check out spa prices around your town, and add about 20-25%....it's costly on the ship!

There is no reason to be nervous....it's only a vacation! Read your cruise brochure...lots of info in there. If you don't have the brochure, read your cruise documents!

There is nothing mysterious about cruising...the ship is your floating hotel (albeit, with smaller rooms than a hotel!)...and you will have a grand time!

Ooooh... just remembered my other question -

We already booked 1 excursion and I was looking on the site today and the ability to book more excursions have been shaded out. Is it because they're sold out or is it because I have to wait until the day of the cruise to book one? It says that there's several left, that's why I'm confused.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Once you get on the ship -- you will be "wowed" by everything you will see -- enough so that you will no longer be nervous.

As to excursions -- since you are sailing on June 30 -- some excursions may be sold out by today. Not sure what NCL's policy is the last date to book excursions before the ship sails.

Archived